Notices

Heat issues while using an Evo X Intercooler on RA?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2015, 06:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heat issues while using an Evo X Intercooler on RA?

I have been reading how the Evo X intercooler is pretty much a direct fit for the RA. Has anyone done any testing to see if it affects the cooling efficiency of the stock radiator? I would hate to solve one cooling problem and create another one.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
No one has ever reported an issue...

Do it!
Old Feb 12, 2015, 09:26 AM

I swapped mine last spring and had no cooling issues. I live in Las Vegas, so can't get much hotter than summers here.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:55 AM
Evolving Member

Has anyone replaced their front bumpers to increase air flow to the larger intercooler?
Old Feb 24, 2015, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

weeellll...

It involves cutting the crash beam and then adding the EVOX - style inlets...

Not many of us have been willing to do that...
Old Feb 26, 2015, 12:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Hey guys,
New to this but quick question whats the biggest benefit of doing the Evo X intercooler swap.
Does it do anything for throttle response(obviously you'd need the piping as well) Or is it more to make room for more power later?

To the OP the stock Evo X intercooler is designed better than the RA's to allow better air flow through it, the reasoning being two fold, it helps cool the intercooler better and obviously helps the radiator out as well. At least thats what I gather from what I've been reading up on this.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 05:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by w8less1der
Has anyone replaced their front bumpers to increase air flow to the larger intercooler?
Originally Posted by Veronica
weeellll...

It involves cutting the crash beam and then adding the EVOX - style inlets...

Not many of us have been willing to do that...
The X crash beam bolts in. You don't have to cut the RA one. The harder part in my opinion is making the bumper look clean to get the vents in. I designed the piece to do that, but only built so many, and they are all gone now.

Name:  IMG_0688.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  149.8 KB
Old Feb 28, 2015, 07:25 PM
Evolving Member

Or for those not willing to cut, it appears there is an option to buy a Evo X JDM crash beam or a USDM crash beam. I read the following thread but have yet to confirm if any one has installed the Evo X USDM or JDM crash beams and used the kit from Mach V. You need to have a friend at the dealership that can order the JDM bumper and it appears it will still cost upwards of $250. Here is the link to the LONNNNNNNNNG thread!

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09...rcooler-2.html

Lancer Ralliart Front Bumper Bezel for Evo X FMIC
http://www.machv.com/larafrbubefo.html

I think that is a great idea to increase flow. I just had not planned on letting $380 flow out of my wallet.

Originally Posted by DWILSON357
Hey guys,
New to this but quick question whats the biggest benefit of doing the Evo X intercooler swap.
Does it do anything for throttle response(obviously you'd need the piping as well) Or is it more to make room for more power later?

To the OP the stock Evo X intercooler is designed better than the RA's to allow better air flow through it, the reasoning being two fold, it helps cool the intercooler better and obviously helps the radiator out as well. At least thats what I gather from what I've been reading up on this.
Did you just answer your own question? Regardless, the point of upgrading to an Evo X intercooler is because it is larger it can cool the air going to the engine better. The intercooler will work even better if you put the vents in the bumper/crash beam so more air can flow to the area of the intercooler that is blocked by the stock RA crash beam.

Last edited by w8less1der; Feb 28, 2015 at 07:31 PM.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 04:23 AM
Evolving Member

Or for those not willing to cut, it appears there is an option to buy a Evo X JDM crash beam or a USDM crash beam. I read the following thread but have yet to confirm if any one has installed the Evo X USDM or JDM crash beams and used the kit from Mach V. You need to have a friend at the dealership that can order the JDM bumper and it appears it will still cost upwards of $250. Here is the link to the LONNNNNNNNNG thread!

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09...rcooler-2.html

Lancer Ralliart Front Bumper Bezel for Evo X FMIC
http://www.machv.com/larafrbubefo.html

I think that is a great idea to increase flow. I just had not planned on letting $380 flow out of my wallet.

Did you just answer your own question? Regardless, the point of upgrading to an Evo X intercooler is because it is larger it can cool the air going to the engine better. The intercooler will work even better if you put the vents in the bumper/crash beam so more air can flow to the area of the intercooler that is blocked by the stock RA crash beam.
I understand the cooling benefits
but if your running stock boost is there any power gain (granted minimal bc your not making new power just being more efficient by cooling it) or is it solely beneficial to those looking to make room for more boost
Old Mar 1, 2015, 12:54 PM
Evolving Member

Good question. I do not have any actual numbers to prove it's advantage. I will do my best to create logs before and after I install it. I am going this route to reduce heatsoaking. I never liked the heatsoaking my Evo 9 intercooler had and the RA intercooler is even smaller so I am addressing the problem up front.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 06:05 AM
Evolving Member

Good question. I do not have any actual numbers to prove it's advantage. I will do my best to create logs before and after I install it. I am going this route to reduce heatsoaking. I never liked the heatsoaking my Evo 9 intercooler had and the RA intercooler is even smaller so I am addressing the problem up front.

Right there with you...I imagine it'll probably help a little with throttle response too, looking at the stock RA UICP looks like it can easily expand a bit before its ran through the intercooler...are you doing an evo x BOV as well?
Old Mar 2, 2015, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

What you get is consistency.

The second, third, sixth run won't see power loss from heat-soaked intercooler.

There is a 40 deg F (IIRC) improvement in inlet/outlet temperature difference for the EVO X vs RA intercooler.

As to the other question, "Do I need an EVO X bumper/with inlets to take advantage of an EVO X IC?"

No. The front of the car is a high pressure area (the whole front) so air 'backs up' as it all tries to flow through and spill around and under the frontal area. Could the additional vents help? Only a wee bit. Not worth $380+ to achieve it.

Google the Studebacker Avanti. No grill. No cooling problems. Same high pressure principle. The public rejected 'the look'.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 11:09 PM
Evolving Member

I picked up an Evo X crash beam. Looks like the price on the Mach V bumper kit is now $300. Not going to happen with my wallet. Going to have to do it the hard way.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 05:06 AM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I picked up an Evo X crash beam. Looks like the price on the Mach V bumper kit is now $300. Not going to happen with my wallet. Going to have to do it the hard way.
There aren't any more of them. Even if you placed an order, it would be cancelled. All of the ones I had built are gone.