Notices

Where should the bung be welded on a MAP test pipe

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2015, 06:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Where should the bung be welded on a MAP test pipe

I just ordered my AEM boost gauge and AFR gauge that comes with the bung etc. Where should I have the bung welded at on the test pipe? Is this where it should be welded or should it go on the down pipe. Any information or pictures would be a great help. Only a few more days left in Afghanistan then I am on my way home and get to start working on this thing. Cant wait.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 07:49 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
downpipe. usually 12" from the turbo outlet or farther. i used an OEM hole in the floor to run my sensor through (but i have an '06)

be sure the bung is welded somewhere between the 10-2 o' clock positions. lower can be fine, if you have to, as long as they are above 9 and 3 positions. this keep condensation from collecting on the sensor. it will last a lot longer that way.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 08:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
downpipe. usually 12" from the turbo outlet or farther. i used an OEM hole in the floor to run my sensor through (but i have an '06)

be sure the bung is welded somewhere between the 10-2 o' clock positions. lower can be fine, if you have to, as long as they are above 9 and 3 positions. this keep condensation from collecting on the sensor. it will last a lot longer that way.

Ok, I will see if the exhaust shop has experience with this. I could weld it myself but I don't have a welding machine. I have seen some high flow cats and test pipes have the bung for wide band, what is the deal with that. Hopefully I can get to my downpipe to weld it in while its on the car. I may just order one with the bung already in it instead. I appreciate the feedback though, thanks.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 08:59 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by cmb70
Ok, I will see if the exhaust shop has experience with this. I could weld it myself but I don't have a welding machine. I have seen some high flow cats and test pipes have the bung for wide band, what is the deal with that. Hopefully I can get to my downpipe to weld it in while its on the car. I may just order one with the bung already in it instead. I appreciate the feedback though, thanks.
some of use the bung on the test pipe to reinstall the rear o2 sensor, but you could also use that for a wideband. i prefer to go farther upstream (in case of exhaust leaks, etc) and not have to completely disconnect my rear o2 sensor. just my preference, though.