Notices

FMIC Question

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2015, 10:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FMIC Question

I currently have a larger FMIC installed (from previous owner). I'd like to swap in the EvoX intercooler and UICP and LICP. Would i need a tune after doing so? or is it a straight swap? I'm in the process of gathering parts for the EvoX turbo swap as well.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No tune needed. If you already have a larger intercooler, why do you want an Evo one? Depending on the construction, the current one might be much better than the Evo one.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 11:07 AM

not entirely sure it was meant for the car, it hangs too low and scrapes bumps and driveways. The under motor splash cover was torn off because it can't be fastened to the bumper mounts properly due to it as well. I just want something that fits better.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 11:22 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Put it on and run it. It should work with the tune you currently have. Its always good practice to check AFRs though.

- Robert
Old Oct 30, 2015, 06:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bhaikalis
not entirely sure it was meant for the car, it hangs too low and scrapes bumps and driveways. The under motor splash cover was torn off because it can't be fastened to the bumper mounts properly due to it as well. I just want something that fits better.
So, does the car sit low as well? I'm curious that the intercooler would scrape on bumps and driveways, even if its a little big for the car? Or was it just a real bad install job?
Old Oct 30, 2015, 07:04 PM

OK to provide a little more history. I purchased the car back in April from a dealer. The car was already modified by the previous owner but the dealer didn't get a list of what was done. I do know the car was involved in a light front end collision as the bumper doesn't sit properly and the intercooler sits maybe 2 inches below the bumper so the splash guard doesn't fit because of that. I'm just trying to clean it up and prevent a possible issue in the future.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 12:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What brand/condition is the intercooler? You might be able to sell it an recoup some of the cost of the Evo X parts.

You might even want to make sure the current intercooler was installed properly. You might luck out and find that it is was not installed properly and that is why it is as low as it is to the ground.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by drivejumpfly
What brand/condition is the intercooler? You might be able to sell it an recoup some of the cost of the Evo X parts.

You might even want to make sure the current intercooler was installed properly. You might luck out and find that it is was not installed properly and that is why it is as low as it is to the ground.
it looks like an off-brand larger intercooler. It's still in good condition so i'll probably sell it to off-set the cost of the EvoX parts.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 09:44 PM

Yes, that's a good call. You can find Evo X intercoolers in the classifieds here frequently.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 07:37 AM

thanks, i already picked up a evo x intercooler with uicp and licp with only 16k miles on it for $200 shipped. really just need to locate the turbo and manifold and i'll be in good shape for the swap.
Old Nov 7, 2015, 07:35 PM

Nice, you will find them in no time.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
you can swap the fmic and piping without the turbo/manifold in the meantime. don't need to wait for them to install the other parts.