Notices

Tranny help (lulz)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2015, 02:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny help (lulz)

Alright so I just can't find the answer anywhere maybe I'm searching stuff wrong or something.. but anyway

Last night I took my 10' ra for a drive but even before I could get out of my driveway the "Transmission Overheating, Slow Down" warning popped up for like a good 5 seconds then disappeared. when I seen that I did put it in park for a couple seconds then put it back in gear and it wasn't moving just sitting there revving. I turned the car off then waited a couple seconds before putting it in drive and once I did, everything was fine and drove her off. Tonight I started the car let her warm up and everything was fine took her for a drive with no problem but when I came back and just as I was about to park, the warning popped up again! But I just turned the car off and walked away..

Current mod list:
Ultimate Racing upper intercooler pipping
Ultimate Racing lower intercooler pipping
Ultimate Racing front mount intercooler 4.5"
Ultimate Racing catless test pipe
Ultimate Racing catback single exit exhaust

Notes*
I did not let the car warm up.
I didn't gas it too much in my driveway just let the car roll.
tranny fluid changed at 50k.
I was in sport mode.

Also had one more thing too ask. Is it better to drive in sport mode normally rather than normal mode?

If anyone could give me some Info that'd be great!
Thanks in advance!!!
Old Dec 29, 2015, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
I don't see any issue with your mods nor does Sport vs Manual make a difference in this case.

I suspect the temp sensor is failing.

Yes, driving in Sport mode is better than Normal mode because it decreases clutch wear a wee bit (higher clutch pressure means less slippage). BUT! Because sport mode keeps the revs sooo high for daily driving - it requires you to be changing gears manually. Which, once you are used to shifting manually, you will not want to go back to auto unless it is traffic or you want cruise control
Old Dec 29, 2015, 09:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by spgtfr
Alright so I just can't find the answer anywhere maybe I'm searching stuff wrong or something.. but anyway

Last night I took my 10' ra for a drive but even before I could get out of my driveway the "Transmission Overheating, Slow Down" warning popped up for like a good 5 seconds then disappeared. when I seen that I did put it in park for a couple seconds then put it back in gear and it wasn't moving just sitting there revving. I turned the car off then waited a couple seconds before putting it in drive and once I did, everything was fine and drove her off. Tonight I started the car let her warm up and everything was fine took her for a drive with no problem but when I came back and just as I was about to park, the warning popped up again! But I just turned the car off and walked away..

Current mod list:
Ultimate Racing upper intercooler pipping
Ultimate Racing lower intercooler pipping
Ultimate Racing front mount intercooler 4.5"
Ultimate Racing catless test pipe
Ultimate Racing catback single exit exhaust

Notes*
I did not let the car warm up.
I didn't gas it too much in my driveway just let the car roll.
tranny fluid changed at 50k.
I was in sport mode.

Also had one more thing too ask. Is it better to drive in sport mode normally rather than normal mode?

If anyone could give me some Info that'd be great!
Thanks in advance!!!
Changing it at 50k is way too late. Every 30k is recommended by many in this forum or even sooner. They are delicate transmissions. It sounds like a bad sensor in my opinion or a blocked line somewhere. I would flush it and change the fluid and see if that helps any. I have S-Sport flashed into mine, I use it most shifting manually and have not had any issues yet, knock on wood. I use normal when on the highway just cruising and sport sometimes on the highway but 99% of the time, I use the S-Sport mode. Locks the clutches up 100% of the time with no slippage which will destroy the clutches over a shorter period of time in my opinion.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 11:20 AM

I'm in Sport Manual 100% of the time. I can't stand the way it shifts in Normal Auto and I can feel the clutch slip in Normal Manual. Only time I switch to Normal is to use cruise control on the highway.

4.5" is a huge intercooler for the stock turbo. Are you sure it wasn't upgraded also?
Old Dec 29, 2015, 11:53 AM

Damn....4.5" thats a MONSTER. Mine has done this a couple times but I was playing and left it in normal mode.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 01:36 PM

Lol yeah 4.5... To clear some stuff up I JUST bought the car a couple days ago. Would you guys recommend parting it out and getting a smaller one?
Old Dec 29, 2015, 01:38 PM

But, thanks for the input guys, I'll check on the sensors..
Old Dec 30, 2015, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Nah, leave the IC alone...

If it was me - I would I would get the car professionally tuned - just to ensure previous owner didn't do more mods and re-flashed the car back to the stock basemap to sell it. If you have other mods (not counting the IC and piping) like a test pipe or other mods can cause the car to go lean at wide open throttle which is badbadbad...
Old Dec 31, 2015, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Veronica
Nah, leave the IC alone...

If it was me - I would I would get the car professionally tuned - just to ensure previous owner didn't do more mods and re-flashed the car back to the stock basemap to sell it. If you have other mods (not counting the IC and piping) like a test pipe or other mods can cause the car to go lean at wide open throttle which is badbadbad...
yeah I do have a test pipe but thinking of getting a high flow cat soon... and just a bit of an update on the warning..

I've noticed that the warning will pop up when I'm reversing and coming to a park, like RIGHT before I park it'll pop up saying slow down and then transmission service required then it'll go right way. would you still think its a sensor problem?
Old Jan 1, 2016, 01:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
If it's a 10 you might have some warranty left...go to mitsubishi cars.com register your car and you'll get more warranty info...as long as they didn't change the turbo or have an aggressive tune on there mitsubishi should help you diagnose what's up.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Yes, I still think it is a sensor.

The only time I have seen over-heat/slow down was power-braking for a launch (max slip/max fluid temp for the tranny).

You could put a direct reading gauge (Tee'd into the tranny output line to the cooler) to be extra sure...
Old Jan 14, 2016, 07:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Does anyone have a diagnostic release from mitsubishi? IE if warning light comes on it could be, A,b,c or d?

That can help get into the nitty gritty of it.