Notices

Request: DIY LED footwell lighting

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2010, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Request: DIY LED footwell lighting

I would like to know how to hook up LEDs so the light will come up when fog lights are on.

I tried locating the fog light fuse in the driver side fuse box but it was unsuccessful. According to the manual, its called 'rear fog light' but this didnt seem to be hooked up to the front fog lights. Confused..

I've also noticed that there are 2 small lights in the small accessory compartment below the center console. I was thinking of tapping into this wire but taking out the cover seems a bit daunting.

Any ideas?
Old Jan 2, 2010, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i hate cutting into wires and avoid it when at all possible. easiest way to do it so its affecting everything in the car as little as possible is to go to autozone and get a $5 fuse-tap. basically you can unplug a fuse from the box, ie: radio fuse that is only on when the car is on, then plug that fuse into the tap along with another fuse of the same amperage, then plug the tap back into the original fuse location. now you still have a fuse for the original component, as well as adding another fused b+ source in the form of an additional wire that comes off of the tap. use the wire coming from the tap as your positive source for lights or what have you, and then you just find a good ground connection in the form of a bolt or whatever and you can either run it like that so its always on with ignition on, or put a switch inline somewhere (i personally prefer on the power side of the device you're hooking up so all that pent-up energy isnt sitting in the component) and you can switch it on whenever you like. plus with all the extra switch ports we have in our cars, theres plenty of places to mount a semi-original looking switch for a clean, controlled install. hope that all makes sense, its quite a bit to put all at once i suppose.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 01:15 PM
Evolving Member

i wouldn't mess with that
Old Jan 11, 2010, 07:05 PM

I like the idea of a replacement fuse. I will post a pic when its done..
Old Jan 11, 2010, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
definitely, let us know how it goes for you. i used this method twice for hard-wiring my radar detector and a fan setup for cooling my amp in the trunk. i prefer this way since it doesnt involve any actual cutting or splicing into the stock harnesses anywhere and can easily be removed to set everything back to the way it was in case you need to
Old Jan 13, 2010, 11:29 AM

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...ed-lights.html

this is a 08 lancer how-to... I'd assume the interior stuff is basically identical to ours.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 09:56 PM
Evolved Member

I have a 2010 ralliart, would everything work out fine if i followed the steps above?

I think the fuse locations could be different Im not sure could someone explain please?
Old Mar 2, 2011, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

That DIY should work fine, and if the fuses are in different spots, just find where the fuse is in your car vs that car, and put your adapter into that spot. If you're lost at this point, have someone give you a hand, or don't do the project.

Not trying to insult you, but nothing turns out worse that electrical wiring when you have no confidence in what you're doing.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

Well i just wanna make sure before i start doing something
Old Mar 14, 2011, 02:17 PM
Evolving Member

I just solded a cig-adapter to my footwell led strips and plugged it into the armrest connection.
I don't mind it being on all the time as the glow is restricted and won't be seen if you don't look from a upward position, and there's always the option of just unplugging it from the armrest.
I might get a switch for it but meh, no real reason imo as long as it's not distracting anyone.
When I'm installing the sound isolation and removing the door-covers, while at it, I will also put red led's into the back doors compartments. I think it will look cool.

Last edited by gloom; Mar 14, 2011 at 02:22 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 08:11 PM

Anyone have a picture of a switch they have installed for this? Guessing you could use the ones that are on the center console or nest to the steering wheel