Notices

Request: How to splice side turn signals to add mirror signals??

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2010, 02:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Request: How to splice side turn signals to add mirror signals??

Anyone know how to tap into the side turn signals to splice in the wires for side mirror signals??

Do I have to remove the side turn signals or the fender??
Old Jan 9, 2010, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I would think all u do is pop out the side turn signal and splice the wires on the back of it. Run the wires from the mirror cover down the same hole Mitsubishi runs the power mirror wires threw and wAla
Old Jan 9, 2010, 04:43 PM

Thanks, I'll try to go and figure that out.. haha... trial and error... woot.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 09:06 AM
Evolving Member

I've never actualy tried but I think you can't actually get the side marker off. I remember something funny like that. Although I could be wrong. I would try and find the wire that runs to the fuse box and splice in from there. Might want to run an inline fuse just incase the load gets messed up and the bulbs go.

-Ralliheart
Old Aug 18, 2010, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can easily get the side marker off by sliding it horizontally towards the front of the car. It moves forward about 1/4" and then pops straight out.

Unfortunately it's sealed in the housing so you can't just replace the bulb...you need to replace the entire thing. But you can access the wires for splicing purposes.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 01:22 PM
Evolving Member

On my EVO X there are two open connectors in the ETACS computer that the mirror lamps connect to. I've got pics somewhere.

Then you just need to fab two wires with the proper ETACS computer pins.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Q15H
On my EVO X there are two open connectors in the ETACS computer that the mirror lamps connect to. I've got pics somewhere.

Then you just need to fab two wires with the proper ETACS computer pins.

If you've got pics for it that would be great. I'm trying to figure out how to splice mirror turn signals. If I can't figure out a good way (reliable maybe a better word?) I may just go get the auto folding ones, since I saw somewhere they had a guide to installing those.

Thanks for the help.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 08:05 PM
Evolving Member

Here's some pics of where to connect to on the ETACS computer under the dash/steering column area behind the knee air bag.

Look at the two-wire harness coming out the top of the large white connector on the left side. The green wire is for the left side, blue for the right. Grab a ground off one of the bolts behind the side kick panels.
Attached Thumbnails Request: How to splice side turn signals to add mirror signals??-img_1617.jpg   Request: How to splice side turn signals to add mirror signals??-img_1619.jpg   Request: How to splice side turn signals to add mirror signals??-img_1622.jpg  
Old Aug 19, 2010, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by Q15H
Here's some pics of where to connect to on the ETACS computer under the dash/steering column area behind the knee air bag.

Look at the two-wire harness coming out the top of the large white connector on the left side. The green wire is for the left side, blue for the right. Grab a ground off one of the bolts behind the side kick panels.

Wow, Thanks for the detailed pics and the know how!

Now when I do splice the mirror signals in will I need a fuse for them? I bought a splice harness that includes a socket for a fuse just in case I needed it.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 07:33 AM
Evolving Member

If your wiring is faulty, then a fuse (one for each side?) might be a good idea. if you're installing LEDs, then a 1Amp fuse would be right. I do not know if those outlets in the ETACS are backed-up by any of the fuses next to the connectors. Probably easy enough to check for though - put a DVM onto the fuses and activate the 4-way flashers and see if any of them get pulsed power. Pull it, if found, then check power at those two pins.

Be sure to install some disconnect connectors inside the doors so you can still take the mirror(s) off without having to disassemble the dash to pull the wiring out. You will have to disassemble the mirror to feed the wires down through the pivot thingie where the mirror motor wires go. There's plenty of room for 2 (18 ga) wires.

Last edited by Q15H; Aug 19, 2010 at 07:35 AM.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 10:58 PM

OK... so I finally got around to putting in the LED mirror signals... however... I didn't splice them into the actual ETACS computer pins... seemed to not work when testing out the signals.

So in the end we took the mirrors apart wired it up and fed the wires (with tubing for a clean install) through the door panel under the weather strip, spliced it to the side markers. Made sure that all the wires were properly spliced, electrical taped and tubed for the extra clean install.