Notices

Any Ideas For Small Sub Box In RA?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2011, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Was thinking maybe you can fab up another setup like this but for 1 ten then ship to me
Old Oct 29, 2011, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 08Lancer89
Was thinking maybe you can fab up another setup like this but for 1 ten then ship to me
Gotcha. Well, if there is anyone else that has one of our cars that's local and wants an enclosure, I could build more, otherwise I would need to take my install apart.

It will take a weekend with the car to build it... After that, I can make a mold of the new enclosure and from that I can make more.

Hmm... A sealed 10 or 12 wouldn't need the extra airspace so it would only need the left or right side piece.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Correct for one Alpine type R ten sealed.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Topdown
I like the clean fit of the box. Looks good! How do you keep stuff from punching holes in your subs?
I dont have anything normally back there, maybe other then clothes every once in a while. I love those subs, but now I need to sell them. Its that time. I probably have a foot or so in front and maybe 8-10" on each side.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Bones_OZ
I dont have anything normally back there, maybe other then clothes every once in a while. I love those subs, but now I need to sell them. Its that time. I probably have a foot or so in front and maybe 8-10" on each side.
How much does a box like that weigh?

I know the fiberglass enclosure I built is extremely light (light enough for my 7yr old to hold it for me) which is the #2 reason I went with fiberglass. I figured adding a sub on one side and an amp on the other would mostly balance out the added weight to the car.

What I am struggling with is that I just built a little system for a Honda (my babysitter - 16yr old high-school girl) with 2 8's in it and it hits VERY VERY hard... much harder than I had anticipated when I put it all together. it easily out-hits the single 10 I had in my truck and the single 12 I have in my car... and because the subs are small, it seems to cause little to no vibration noise.

If my trunk weren't done, I would be more inclined to reinstall with a single 8" driver...
Old Oct 31, 2011, 01:29 PM

It's 87lbs. Subs weight a ton and the box is 1 inch think wood
Old Jan 10, 2012, 05:53 PM

I prefer spare tirewell subs so you can have 100% space. If you have a 09+ Ralliart I wouldn't use the spare tire... ever. This car has too many differentials.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by papatel
I prefer spare tirewell subs so you can have 100% space. If you have a 09+ Ralliart I wouldn't use the spare tire... ever. This car has too many differentials.
Normally I agree... I prefer a 100% hidden install.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 11:33 AM

One idea you could try that looks really clean and doesn't take up any room in your trunk is placing the sub in the spare tire wheel well. RockfordFosgate also makes some very nice small amps that will fit discreetly in your car.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 08:18 PM

part of the problem you will run into with a spare tire well install is that your going to be firing straight into the trunk lid, which will make your wing, trunk, etc... rattle like mad, which is another reason I went with a side-load like I did.

at some point I will replace my head unit, when I do, I will make a new sub box... something else fiberglass...
Old Apr 3, 2012, 09:34 PM
Evolving Member

Mine is very simple. I took one 8 inch sub then calculated the airspace it needed and used those numbers to create a box that was big enough for the sub but low enough that it wouldn't interfere with a strut tower bar.

And no, none of the carpet is original. The previous owner felt that gutting everything in the trunk made him cool racecar driver.

Old Apr 4, 2012, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by shadovarian
And no, none of the carpet is original. The previous owner felt that gutting everything in the trunk made him cool racecar driver.
lol

looks good... not super heavy and doesnt take away all of your trunk space
Old Apr 4, 2012, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

that does not look like the trunk of a 2008+ Lancer, Lancer Ralliart, or Lancer Ralliart Sportback...
Old Apr 4, 2012, 09:43 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nunyas
that does not look like the trunk of a 2008+ Lancer, Lancer Ralliart, or Lancer Ralliart Sportback...

It is an Evo 8. But my point wasn't to say make this exact sub box. It was that a box with similar function can be created for any car. All he would need to do is measure the height of the strut towers, and the distance between them. Then add what ever air space was required to the width of the box.

The benefit of this design is that it is extremely easy to make, leaves plenty of room for the junk in your trunk, and if you mount it down with quick release pins in the back( where no one case see them) as well as quick release wire connectors then it takes 5 seconds to remove if you want to do drag or SCCA.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 09:09 AM

Any Ideas For Small Sub Box In RA?-trunk-subs.jpg

Heres my setup in my trunk. Downside is i have no spare tire No problems with the trunk rattling though. I have dynamat on the lower side of the trunk too.

Quick Reply: Any Ideas For Small Sub Box In RA?