Notices

LED strip DRLs

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2010, 08:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought about doing at first, but that would be a longer project. If I could get them installed as true DRLs that would be awesome, but I am not sure how to bypass the jrox's harness.

But then, it might be better to have the ability to control them via the headlight switch. I haven't decided which way to install them.

In any case, any ideas on how to bypass jrox's harness?

Originally Posted by 03chi-town0Z
as far as tapping into the corner/parking lights, if you do that and you have jrox's harness installed, then obviously everything would be off in the off position "0" and the led strip would be on in position "1" and "2". if you wanted to have it on or off at any other time, you're best off just tapping into an accessory power source, grounding to a body-bolt, and adding a separate control switch
Old Sep 18, 2010, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
you'd have to figure out the flow direction and just tap in before the resistor for your power source and run separate grounds. i think he had a diagram showing the whole setup at one point, if you could find that it would def. make life a lot easier for you
Old Sep 20, 2010, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by komilp13
I thought about doing at first, but that would be a longer project. If I could get them installed as true DRLs that would be awesome, but I am not sure how to bypass the jrox's harness.

But then, it might be better to have the ability to control them via the headlight switch. I haven't decided which way to install them.

In any case, any ideas on how to bypass jrox's harness?

just run a custom harness tap to key on power on source and your drl will be on when key is on...
Old Sep 20, 2010, 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
but isnt the harness designed to turn it back off after the headlights are turned all the way on? i'm so confused. lol.

yeah, just do it the way evil says and make life easier on yourself
Old Apr 21, 2011, 10:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rehashing an old thread, however I want to do the same. I am wondering, what is a good accessory power source to use that is on when you turn the car on. Can I use a fuse tap? If so, which one would I use in the engine bay fuse box....my thought is use the DRL fuse. My plan is to have 2 relays, one that turns on with the car, which in turn signals the other relay, the 2nd relay is hooked up to LED drl that is switched off via parking lights. This means led lights are on when no lights are on (using jrox drl bypass harness), and position 2 and 3 means DRL off, and position 3 means HID lights on. My other idea is using one relay that gets power from an ignition fed 12v source, which I am not sure what i'd use for this, relay is triggered by +ve from headlights that go into HID lights. This means when HID lights are triggered, the DRL led would turn off....only issue is determining what ignition 12v source to use. I really need a wiring diagram, any ideas? Thanks.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

The way I'd set this up is to use a power source that works with ignition on. Easy to do, and no messing with the headlight relays. I figure that the relays will last longer when they're not tampered with. This means that they're always going to be on whenever the ignition is on. Don't worry about burning out the LED strips tho, most LED bulbs have a lifespan over 100,000 hrs. This means that if your average speed is 30 mph, your strips will last 3 million miles. I wouldn't worry about them
Old Apr 23, 2011, 02:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the reply. Not worried about burning them out, just not sure how they will look at night. Might try straight power first, if I don't like then do the relay trick. What would I use for straight power, can I use a fuse tap, or go directly to battery with a fuse in between? In my ralliart fuse 20 is empty and has power to it when I turn the ignition on. Could I use this?
Old Apr 25, 2011, 06:49 AM
Evolving Member

SudzRA or TurtleRA ... can either of you post some howTos if you have implemented this?