Notices

Relocating AWC button

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2011 | 11:58 AM
Evolving Member

Relocating AWC button

I want to relocate the AWC button below the shifter to over where the TCS button is to the left of the steering wheel. Having all of those plastic covers where buttons should exist looks tacky and quite honestly, I could use the little cubby tray that sits below the shifter like on the GSR, perfect place for my phone and other things.

So with that said, how difficult would it be to take apart the center console, relocate the AWC button to the dash next to the TSC button? I don't mind if I have to splice and extend some wires to make it work, although I don't prefer doing so.
Old Feb 10, 2011 | 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

I can't see it being too difficult as long as you don't have any extra electronics sitting under the button that I don't know about. I'd also find out from your dealership if they'll be sticky about warranties when you move the button.
Old Feb 10, 2011 | 12:23 PM
Evolving Member

Easy solution for possible warranty issues... I'll make it so that it can be reverted back easily if I have to take it in for service.

My only issue is whether or not the button will stick out more or less than the TCS switch, I wouldn't imagine so.
Old Feb 10, 2011 | 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

i was thinking about doing the same, since im friends with the service department i may give em like 20$ to do it for me so that they cant say anything when it comes time to warranty something

Last edited by total0wnage; Feb 10, 2011 at 01:21 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2011 | 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

its super easy, you DO NOT have to cut and splice!

simply take apart the center cosole, remove the shifter plate, as well as the trim panel under the steering wheel at ur knees

you'll find the wires of the AWC going into a bundle, cut the tape to release the AWC wires, then route the wires under the steering column (this is why you remove the panel at ur knees) theres enuf wire once its free'd to relocate it, if not then you haven't removed enuf tape

then simply take the blank out replace with AWC switch, and order console cubby part from dealer... think i paid 13 bucks for that peice

no worries about warranty issues and it sticks out as much as the other buttons... almost like it was ment to go there
Old Feb 10, 2011 | 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

Wow...I might have to do this. Can't believe I haven't thought about that before.

Is this the replacement tray we'd need? #21 in the diagram: http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0
Old Feb 10, 2011 | 03:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by robyn402
its super easy, you DO NOT have to cut and splice!

simply take apart the center cosole, remove the shifter plate, as well as the trim panel under the steering wheel at ur knees

you'll find the wires of the AWC going into a bundle, cut the tape to release the AWC wires, then route the wires under the steering column (this is why you remove the panel at ur knees) theres enuf wire once its free'd to relocate it, if not then you haven't removed enuf tape

then simply take the blank out replace with AWC switch, and order console cubby part from dealer... think i paid 13 bucks for that peice

no worries about warranty issues and it sticks out as much as the other buttons... almost like it was ment to go there
You're awesome, thanks a bunch! I will be doing this on Saturday or Sunday.

Originally Posted by velocityhead
Wow...I might have to do this. Can't believe I haven't thought about that before.

Is this the replacement tray we'd need? #21 in the diagram: http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0
Am I the only one that thinks all of those blank covers are tacky? Out of the six possible buttons in the car, only two are used and each one is in separate locations. I'd much rather have both up near the steering wheel and replace that area below the shifter with the tray, much more useful.

Yes, that is the correct part that's needed!
Old Feb 10, 2011 | 03:48 PM
Evolving Member

i may attempt this tomorrow as well, i, also am dissatisfied with all the blank buttons and lack of storage. this cubby may work well for a change compartment.

somewhat related note: has anyone transformed the fuse door to anything creative for storage or something?
Old Feb 10, 2011 | 10:54 PM
Evolved Member

no worries, i couldn't stand the placement of the control buttons, i did the same kinda thing on my old 06 ralliart being i moved the fog light switch from next to where the window control switch was to down by the dimmer switch

if that cover works out please repost or get ahold of me on here as i'll be doing that swap to, stupid useless bluetooth controls fustrate me
Old Feb 12, 2011 | 05:26 PM
Evolving Member

Well I tried doing this today, no go for me. There are a lot of clips holding multiple wire harnesses together and they are a huge pain to take apart, plus I had difficulties getting the driver's side panel under the steering wheel off, and this is a brand new car and I'm not going to eff anything up. So all I did was move the AWC switch from the far right slot to the middle to match where the TCS button is on the dash, in the middle. Looks a little better, still don't like those two dummy button covers on each side but I'll live with it for now. If someone else is successful at doing this, please post a how-to.
Old Feb 15, 2011 | 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by BravoZero
Well I tried doing this today, no go for me. There are a lot of clips holding multiple wire harnesses together and they are a huge pain to take apart, plus I had difficulties getting the driver's side panel under the steering wheel off, and this is a brand new car and I'm not going to eff anything up. So all I did was move the AWC switch from the far right slot to the middle to match where the TCS button is on the dash, in the middle. Looks a little better, still don't like those two dummy button covers on each side but I'll live with it for now. If someone else is successful at doing this, please post a how-to.
I have seen once how to manual, but it was in Ukranian language, so I couldn't understand to much lol
Old Feb 15, 2011 | 05:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BravoZero
some day when i've got nothing better to do i'll pop mine apart and take pictures lol
Old Feb 16, 2011 | 12:11 PM
Evolving Member

isuccess! took about 2 hours with some bloody knuckles but it looks good. hopefully the dealer wont care that i clipped all the wire clips on my leased car... i tried to take some photos so hopefully i have enough to make a good how to later this afternoon/evening
Old Feb 16, 2011 | 12:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tjwphoto
isuccess! took about 2 hours with some bloody knuckles but it looks good. hopefully the dealer wont care that i clipped all the wire clips on my leased car... i tried to take some photos so hopefully i have enough to make a good how to later this afternoon/evening
Much appreciated, let us know and if you do, link it into this thread!
Old Feb 17, 2011 | 10:20 PM
Evolved Member

and there it is

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09...tton-dash.html

Quick Reply: Relocating AWC button