Notices

Washer reservoir with engine oil cooler: cheap and easy solution

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2013, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
So I've been dealing with not having windshield sprayers for almost a year, since installing my engine oil cooler, and finally decided enough is enough. I looked online and in catalogs for small reservoir options, but just couldn't find what I was looking for. I only need minimal holding capacity and wanted something that would install cleanly behind my oil cooler, but all the options I found were either too big or too expensive, so here's what I did:

In order to get as clean an install as possible, I wanted to be able to use the oem filler tube and find some way to close off the bottom. I thought about using some thin projector lighting plastic or something similar to just cap the bottom of the fill tube and seal with plastic weld or silicone (or both), but that would have been too flimsy.

So I was stuck wondering what to do when it came time to change my SST fluid. Holding that filter cartridge in my hand, the light bulb began to shine brightly over my head. I quickly pulled the filler tube out of my old reservoir and found it to be a near-perfect fit. I then removed the rubber gasket for the fill tube from the reservoir, used a razor blade to thin the walls of the rubber gasket, and siliconed it into the SST filter cartridge. I then trimmed a few inches off of the bottom of the fill tube and inserted it. With the rubber seal in-place there is a snug, water-tight fit for the fill tube into the filter cartridge.

To address the issue of pump installation I just drilled a hole into the side of the filter cartridge, near the bottom, a hair smaller than the pump feed hose, and twisted the hose into place; another water-tight fit. I then just used a worm-style hose clamp to hold the pump to the filter cartridge.

Install was simple. Just drop the newly-made reservoir in, behind the oil cooler, and bolt the filler neck onto its original location. For me, the tight fit of the tube in the cartridge is more than enough to hold it all together, since the capacity is only about 1 cup. So there is really no need for lower-mounting, but you can always throw a couple zip-ties on there if you wanted to.

Pics coming soon...

Last edited by 03chi-town0Z; Oct 16, 2013 at 06:58 AM.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

Here's a shot of the rubber seal from the original washer reservoir installed into the SST filter cartridge.

Washer reservoir with engine oil cooler: cheap and easy solution-forumrunner_20131016_090116.jpg

Here is a pic that shows roughly how much I had to trim from the filler tube and another angle of the cartridge.

Attachment 214019

Top view of the installed part in original filler location.

Washer reservoir with engine oil cooler: cheap and easy solution-forumrunner_20131016_090300.jpg

Here is a pic showing the pump attached to the new "reservoir" in its installed location. Notice that no trimming or modification of any wiring was required, just remove one of the retainer clips to give some more movement.

Washer reservoir with engine oil cooler: cheap and easy solution-forumrunner_20131016_090235.jpg

And finally a frontal view of the piece in its final location behind the cooler.

Washer reservoir with engine oil cooler: cheap and easy solution-forumrunner_20131016_090215.jpg

Unfortunately I can't seem to find the picture, on my phone, of the pump mounted to the cartridge before install, but I'm still trying to dig it up, hopefully its on the computer at home. Let me know what you guys think.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice.. but I guess this would be for emergency washes only as its such a small amount it can hold. Did you use an evo x oil cooler or the Euro RA cooler? I wish we had model #'s to the Euro Cooler and Res tank.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, I rarely ever use the windshield sprayer, so capacity isn't an issue for me. The only time I really ever use it is when its misting or just finished raining and I'm on the highway behind traffic throwing muck in my face.

I used an X cooler and lines and just made my own brackets. If using the EDM RalliArt cooler is really that high of a demand, I can try getting the part number for the cooler, brackets and washer reservoir (though I'm sure one of our European members could get it faster).
Old Oct 17, 2013, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Part numbers would definitely be nice
Old Oct 17, 2013, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Seems kinda pointless at only 1 cup? That's like a couple of seconds of spray..if that!

Not raining on your parade but even if you don't use it often, approx. 1 cup worth of spray seems pointless & would produce negligible results, if that.

Nice effort putting it all together nonetheless!
Old Oct 17, 2013, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

I disagree, for my use it's perfect and the results are more than satisfactory. It has been tested and used for a bit, now, I only just now got around to posting this up for any who may be interested.

The actual quantity is a guesstimate, but it equates to roughly 8-10 full seconds of spray time. Not enough for many people, but like I said, I have been completely without since installing my oil cooler and rarely ever use it anyway (and when I do, it's in much shorter bursts).

Last edited by 03chi-town0Z; Oct 17, 2013 at 04:54 PM.