Notices
09+ Ralliart Show and Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Achieving my own fog lamp delete dream

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2011, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Achieving my own fog lamp delete dream

First off, I'd like to say that I'm not trying to compete or hinder anyone or their business in any way. In-fact, the quality of my work can be considered "amateur-ish" at best. So if a company were willing to reproduce my version in a much more professional manner, I'd probably buy a set from them knowing that the design would be more even with straighter, better flowing lines and would probably outlast my weak attempt.

This is just what I'd always envisioned as the most clean-looking (workmanship aside here, just talking about the design itself) functional yet OEM-ish appearing fog delete kit that I'd always wanted. I'd always just wanted to keep the car as clean and "OEM+" as some have called it, and seeing that the ones being produced are not quite following the same ideal and are more toward making it obvious that modifications have been made (rather than looking like it could have been a factory/dealer option) I took it upon myself to try to make my own.

Throughout much trial and error, and multiple attempts to learn the process of doing this sort of thing (my 1st fiberglass work EVER in my life) I have at least now come to a point where I feel that progress is being made and I'd like to share it with everyone. It has taken, what feels like, forever just to get to this point with the limited free time I've had to work on these, and the many speedbumps and potholes along my road to completion, but if nothing else it's been a great learning experience. To be honest, I'd really just like if a company were to take my idea and run with it so I don't have to finish these things because I'm really impatient, but in any case, I'll keep working until someone comes out with something I can live with.

So for now, I've finally got the fitment I want and I've gotten the outer portion, including the overall shape of the opening itself, completed and where I want it to be. I've also used the OEM surrounds as a base for the one-off style production, so these mount with the same 3 tabs and 1 screw, just like OEM. Now I need to work on adding a couple inches of ducting and then find a suitable mesh that somewhat resembles the stock plastic mesh so everything can match fairly well. I originally tried doing the whole thing at-once including the ducts, but my skills are way too weak to accomplish that, so I settled for working within my limits and doing it this way instead. Let me know what you think.

Pics are from my phone (crappy) and the lighting, damn sun, would not cooperate so some of the lines in the pics look funny (even crappier) but this'll have to do for now. Click to enlarge:
Achieving my own fog lamp delete dream-imag0053.jpg

Achieving my own fog lamp delete dream-imag0054.jpg

Achieving my own fog lamp delete dream-imag0055.jpg
Old Aug 10, 2011, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
not bad, i think u did a pretty good job. your delete is much more round compared to the JDP which isnt a bad thing but the one thing i liked is how they extended the delete out until the ring since thats how the body line flows. but overall good work.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I personally like yours over the jdp design delete..nice job. I like how they are more flush and round just like the oem design. I really just want something like these.Plain and simple.

Along with a complete replace grill to match..or these with our oem style honeycombs to match.Possibilities. Been dreaming also and drawing ideas. Good inspiration, guess I should just give it a try.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 06:05 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, thanks guys. That was my goal, to just modify the OEM surround slightly to allow more airflow while keeping it as clean and simple as possible. If I find some honeycomb mesh that matches I'll be sure to post it up; keep me updated if you find anything too...
Old Aug 11, 2011, 06:36 AM
Evolved Member

props for the hard work - fiberglass is so time-consuming and I just don't have the free time for it. But I appreciate it when people just get off their butt and make something instead of just sitting and complaining "I wish the RA had ___"
Old Aug 11, 2011, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
These are way better than the JDPS
Old Aug 11, 2011, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks again. Maybe we can convince JDP to make a second design, more similar to this one, then they would be able to please probably over 90% of the people interested in fog deletes by having the option of "mild or wild"

I'd be willing to ship mine over and donate to the cause. But in the meantime, I'll keep plugging away here and see what I can come up with.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 07:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 03chi-town0Z
Yeah, thanks guys. That was my goal, to just modify the OEM surround slightly to allow more airflow while keeping it as clean and simple as possible. If I find some honeycomb mesh that matches I'll be sure to post it up; keep me updated if you find anything too...
Some honeycomb mesh I located:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/13...l_-_Black.html

http://www.coolerguys.com/8405560951...hannelid=FROOG
Old Aug 12, 2011, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

I like them!
Old Aug 15, 2011, 10:36 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks, I saw a bunch of that when looking around too, but the problem is that the holes are slightly larger than 4"x8" so I'd need to use multiple pieces if I went with a basic computer fan mesh.

I'm also trying to find a more "stretched" honeycomb design like the stock grille, but it's looking more and more like I'll be re-doing the grille on the entire front bumper so everything matches.

I guess the other option would be to just buy a lower bumper grille from Mitsu and chop that up too. Hmmm...