Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

How to: Take apart/Separate/Deconstruct an Evo 8 Wing

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2012, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How to: Take apart/Separate/Deconstruct an Evo 8 Wing

I thought I would post this, as I read through a couple similar threads, but the part I felt was missing was showing the scary part... actually separating the sides. This is the part people have commented over and over they are scared to break something.

Other threads have shown before and after pics, without any 'during' pictures.. here are the during pictures, and I will talk through how I accomplished this. Enjoy, and perhaps we can get enough support that this can be made a sticky!

And as a reminder, the EVO 9 wing is NOT the same as the 8, ABS sides, not carbon fiber. I took this one apart to remove the paint, and to clear coat the carbon fiber for my black evo.

Here is the thread back from 2008 that shared a lot of pictures before and after: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...many-pics.html

To start, I used a 3/16" drill bit to drill out all 4 rivots on each end, then I used a small punch and hammer to ensure the rivets were separated and would not be binding up the process.

WORD OF WARNING: I was ok with scratching up the painted silver sides, as I am going to sand them down to bare carbon, I DID scratch those a bit throughout this process, the main wing section remained flawless though, which was important to me.

Once that was done, the 'scary' part begins, prying apart the carbon fiber sides from the main part of the wing. After some research, it seems it is most advantageous to start from the TOP of the wing, as there is only velcro holding this part together, no glue. I used 2 regular-sized straight screwdrivers, a thinner rigid putty knife (or paint scraper, not sure what it actually was, had it for years!), and 2 very small straight screwdrivers as needed.

Once I could get the wider one in, I pried up, and twisted a bit to 'pop' the velcro apart, and then worked my way down each side, in a twisting motion, and making sure that I was not putting force against the main wing/clear carbon parts.

Another close up, you can see the gap and glue separating some more.

As you can see here, I started working down the sides, keeping a screwdriver in the already released areas, to keep a gap to work in. Again a slow twisting motion. I continued to hear the glue release, and I could move the tool down again and again, probably 1/2"-3/4" at a time. Working back and forth between the front and back seam of the wing.

Another picture, getting closer to the bottom.

I had the entire top, and both sides released, but it felt like it wasn't budging, and the bottom piece of the main wing is not as thick as the sides, so I was concerned of snapping this part off.. I went to the 2 TINY straight screwdrivers.. and used that same 'twisting' motion to slowly separate this bottom section. Be sure to keep pushing the screwdrivers in as far as possible, you do not want to 'pry' on the outermost edge of the carbon, that would be the most likely part to split. I had no issue with any splits or issues, but just another word of caution.

It finally released... and here is the finished endcap of the wing off.

And here is the main wing upright with the side removed.

I will update the thread with "after" pictures once I sand, and clearcoat the side panels, and get into reassembly.

Good luck!
Old Dec 9, 2012, 10:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not familiar with carbon fiber but perhaps heating it up with a heatgun would have helped you pry the pieces away easier?

Anyways in for after photos!
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:25 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks, I think people are cautious with extreme heat around the clear coat, let alone the resins in the carbon fiber. Either way, I did this in about 55* weather, without issue.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:30 AM

So any updates on this wing? Can you post pics. Im curious how you got new rivets to match old ones.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

won't be working on it til post holidays, as the garage will become a meeting room for about 30+ family members.
Old May 20, 2013, 06:29 AM
Evolved Member

I have completely sanded the sides down, will post up pictures before too long.. clear coat starting this evening....
Old May 21, 2013, 06:05 AM
Evolved Member

When I bought my evo it was wingless, i purchased this VIII wing specifically to try to sand down and create an all carbon fiber look. the wing was silver (obviously)... so I sanded down the main areas of the wing, but the little crevices where the side plates meet the main wing would have taken an eternity, my solution was simply painting those areas with my tarmac-black touch up paint. Then I prepped the whole things for clear coat.

Here is the before and after pictures...

And after about 8 coats of clear

Next step will be hitting it up with the 2000grit wet sanding to smooth out some of the orange peel look..
Old May 23, 2013, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

So here is an idea I had for reassembly... and to ensure I could disassemble again without the pucker factor....

I used these T nuts, on the inside of the carbon/foam wing.. in place of rivets, so that I can remove them again if ever needed... all parts I could find are stainless as well. (6/32" size)

Pushed/installed into the wing itself

Then I used stainless bolts/lock nuts to secure the steel mounting plate to the main wing.

All assembled and on the car.... Some final pictures coming after this weekends race events.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 03:21 PM

What type of glue/tape/adhesive did you use to put the wing back together?
Old Jun 3, 2013, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

actually I bought 2 different types of glue... then since I used 'removable' fasteners for the sides, I thought I would try with out glue and see how it felt.. after pressing the Velcro tight at the top, and bolting the bottom together, it was as stiff as any sideplate I have seen, plus a reminder that the 'force' of the wing goes through the attached carbon side, the end caps are just a finishing touch from Mitsu.

Short answer, I did mine without glue, and has worked well on both street and performance driving events. Plus now I can remove them to add additional clear coat this winter to increase the depth and shine.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 08:10 PM

Well done-- I am going to forward this to a friend of mine who has major clear coat issues on the wing of his 8...

-m
Old Mar 10, 2016, 06:13 PM

Can you post pics again of the t bolt you used? The pics don't work anymore. I have my wing taken apart but rather not use rivets.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

Wapoosh, will look for the pictures again, may be a few days.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Bassicfun
Wapoosh, will look for the pictures again, may be a few days.
Thanks bro
Old Jul 11, 2016, 03:23 PM

This was a lot to do, I almost gave up lol.