Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

bracing an ebay turbo manifold

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2005, 10:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
bracing an ebay turbo manifold

this thing was sitting in my garage for about 2 month and i just decide to put it last week. i had my friend welded some brace on last month. i got it from ebay, not sure what brand it is but it looks like an ssautochrome mani. i also have a megan o2 housing but decided not to put it on because i want to keep the stock one with the support bracket. spool seem to remain the same form low to mid rpm but seem to flow better on top end, power does drop off as quick. i was going to make a heat shield for it, that's why you see the long stud for the ALS plug (for mounting the heat shield), but decide not to because it's too time consuming.
Attached Thumbnails bracing an ebay turbo manifold-dsc00699a.jpg   bracing an ebay turbo manifold-dsc00700a.jpg   bracing an ebay turbo manifold-dsc00727a.jpg   bracing an ebay turbo manifold-dsc00728a.jpg  
Old Aug 20, 2005, 01:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's a fairly nice piece. What did you end up paying for it??
Old Aug 20, 2005, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

i paid $200 shipped from ebay
Old Aug 20, 2005, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Honda boys have been messing around with these manifolds forever trying to get them to work.

In short, you are increasing the stress on the manifold with those braces (because it's now triangulated and cannot expand) and the only reason most people on here dont have issues with them is because of the stock brace on the o2 housing, which removes the weight of the turbo from the manifold.
Old Aug 20, 2005, 10:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's how you properly take the load off the manifold while still allowing for expansion. Rod end bearings..
Attached Thumbnails bracing an ebay turbo manifold-bmwstrut.jpg   bracing an ebay turbo manifold-renaultstrut.jpg  

Last edited by Shaun@SG; Aug 20, 2005 at 10:09 PM.
Old Aug 21, 2005, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mooreboost
The Honda boys have been messing around with these manifolds forever trying to get them to work.

In short, you are increasing the stress on the manifold with those braces (because it's now triangulated and cannot expand) and the only reason most people on here dont have issues with them is because of the stock brace on the o2 housing, which removes the weight of the turbo from the manifold.
i know what you mean by allowing for expansion. i had put the brace on because i was going to replace the o2 housing also but decide not to now, i'm just going to port the stock o2 or figure out how to weld some thing on the o2 housing to mount to the block like the oem one. i've seen these manifold for hondas in person before and the tubing is much thiner than these manifold for evo. so i don't think that these will crack like the one for hondas.

those picture of the hanging turbo looks nice, but the brace on the first picture doesn't look bery sturdy, just one mounting point,

thanks for your input guys,