Notices
Vishnu Performance - California [Visit Site]

WHP data point for you DD guys

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2006, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
WHP data point for you DD guys

First off, thanks to Shiv for the help on the DD questions I had on the phone. My local shop just got a DD and is the only awd dyno in town (lucky me). I got to try it out for the first time last night and had some problems with the loading. We had the load set to 150, but when I'd romp it in 3rd, my car would kick sideways and not actually catch on the rollers until about 6k rpm. My curves were unusable. So, I tried 4th, and it wasn't as bad with the initial kick, but the rollers didn't really grab until 6k again. So, we tried 125, and it grabbed at 4500, then finally 100, and that seemed to work. I still was in 4th, but man that was a long freakin run with 100 on the ramp rate and taking 4th from 2000-7500rpm, sheesh.

Anyway, just wanted to provide some power data that might be useful. In Denver at 5500' on a Dynojet, I only put down 300whp/337wtq with all my mods. The SAE correction for such low barometric pressure and 90 degrees was 1.26, so my corrected was 378whp/425wtq (a bit inflated, eh). Well, the dyno here in the Springs is even higher - closer to 6800', so the correction factor at 80 degrees was a whopping 1.32!! I never like to use the inflated corrections, so we basically halve the CF to get what would be a more normal CF for turbo cars at altitude. I also then pay attention to the uncorrected numbers. What I don't like is how I can't just take a runfile and post it in a program like WinPep to show it. The only thing we know how to do now is print the graph and scan it. What's up with this dyno running on DOS? Haha, funny for such a nice dyno.

Well, my 1.15 corrected numbers were a measly 299.3whp. Didn't get a torque reading, because we didn't get a good rpm signal. Luckily, you can do the steady state rpm calibration if you are not getting a good rpm signal, but I didn't want to wait around for another pull (will do later this weekend). My boost peaked at 26psi and tapered to 19psi (4th gear at mega altitude), then my AFRs were in the mid-11s, so everything was reading properly and working well. I just don't make much power. My uncorrected whp is a whopping 260!! Isn't that great? Gotta love altitude! The interesting thing, though, is that if you look at my 1.15 corrected numbers, they are identical to my uncorrected Dynojet numbers. Thought you guys might like that data point, since I always see Ted B say to multiply Shiv's DD numbers by 1.15...

I will post the graph after I print and scan, but man my car is slow.
Old Jul 8, 2006, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The operator/owner obviously does not have a clue about operating a DD dyno yet
I am assuming he has just got the machine?
Please ask him to give me a call so I can walk him through the correct procedure to dynoing an Evo
706 602 8881
Old Jul 8, 2006, 12:40 PM
Evolving Member

Wow, that's cool.... My IX with a TBE ( Catless ) and a custom Shiv flash did 296whp on a DD.

Sounds like you need the RallyRedEVO package.
Old Jul 8, 2006, 01:06 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Kudos to you, Warrtalon, for posting this up.
You guys finally got the ramp rate correct for a stock turboed Evo. We also use 100.

Another thing of interest, with that ramp rate, you can dyno the car in third gear, and in my experience, it will pick up a few ponies (My car made a wee bit less when we dynoed it in fourth one time).

For big turbo cars, I believe we use a ramp rate of 120.

Anyway, even though we disagree sometimes, I think its way cool that you tried out a DD for the science of it. I think as the operator uses his facility more, you'll see it as a great tuning tool and realize the benefit of an eddy current dyno.

Who knows? If you have an ECU flash cable and software, I bet you'll make noticable improvements to your tune mapping your own car!

This might be a review to you, but its a nice little read: http://www.redline.lt/magazine/spec-.../article/16/1/

Thanks for the honest reporting! :up:
Old Jul 8, 2006, 01:10 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
PS: Andrew, what is the RPM number he should plug in for a third gear pull in an MR?
Old Jul 8, 2006, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, it is a brand new dyno, and the shop owner has never used any dyno before. They received training and have dyno'd tons of other cars already, but I was the first 05+ Evo. They have already done an 03 Evo with 25g that put down 430whp (1.17 CF), but they had no problem with keeping him strapped properly and loaded properly. We don't know why my car with 130 less whp (but more peak torque and about 1000rpm earlier) wasn't loading properly.

I called Shiv to ask a few questions, but I will have him call you to get some tips on how to set it up for an Evo. We need to know, because Al is here tuning Evos all weekend.

Noize, that is exactly what I plan to do - play with EcuFlash on the dyno to learn how to tweak my tune and such, although Al is here to provide me 4 custom tuned maps for Drag (alky+race gas), daily (alky+93), road racing (alky+93 conservative), and auto-x (race gas only), so I don't have to do it all myself right now. I know the DD is one of the best dynos, so I'm thrilled to have one at my disposal, but I just wish it had the Dynojet/WinPep capability for comparing/posting/overlaying graphs. Oh well, no biggie. It was much nicer having the boost logged properly via MAP. My boost gauge pegged 30psi, but I went no higher than 26psi on the MAP reading, which is critical info.

RallyRed, I was making 341whp/361wtq on a Dynojet at sea level before I moved and before I added cams. That shows you how much I lose here at 6000' (~70whp?). My boost tapers to 16psi in 3rd gear here when it used to taper to 22.5psi at sea level, so that's where most of the power is lost. I used to peak at 6500-6800 at sea level, and now it's at 5200, which is a shame.

Last edited by Warrtalon; May 19, 2007 at 01:48 PM.
Old Jul 8, 2006, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

Sounds great . Wish you the best of luck on your tune. How's the new Exedy holding up?
Old Jul 8, 2006, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
I called Shiv to ask a few questions, but I will have him call you to get some tips on how to set it up for an Evo. We need to know, because Al is here tuning Evos all weekend.
I find that very ironic

I know the DD is one of the best dynos, so I'm thrilled to have one at my disposal, but I just wish it had the Dynojet/WinPep capability for comparing/posting/overlaying graphs.
Each dyno has its upside and downside. http://www.dynamometer.fsnet.co.uk/a...ynamometer.htm

Oh well, no biggie. It was much nicer having the boost logged properly via MAP. My boost gauge pegged 30psi, but I went no higher than 26psi on the MAP reading, which is critical info.
Your gauge was off by a lot. What type of gauge is that? I think you need to invest in a MAP based gauge. I read they were available but could not find one. I got the XD-16 from innovate, connected it to the LM-1 and I am using it to display boost from the 3 bar Map sensor that I am using.

Does anyone know what brand/bar MAP sensor the DD dyno uses?
Old Jul 8, 2006, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Noize
PS: Andrew, what is the RPM number he should plug in for a third gear pull in an MR?
Hit "T" on the keyboard to get in Ratio mode, then "G" and plug in "93" and ENTER for third gear pulls on a six speed MR

Five speed cars on enkei's = 88.88'

then there will be no need for a tach signal
Hope this helps with the next session if there is one

Last edited by Dyno4mance; Jul 8, 2006 at 05:41 PM.
Old Jul 8, 2006, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks, I'll put in those settings tomorrow.

NJ, it's not that my gauge is bad, but rather at altitude the gauge always reads much higher, because we do not have full atmospheric pressure here. We have to use a MAP sensor to see the true boost. My boost gauge used to read within 1psi of the MAP sensor at sea level, but it's 4psi off up here. That's why you often hear people say, "Oh, I run 24-25psi on 91oct at 6000'." In actuality, they're running 20-21psi but don't know any better. Chronohunter also says he runs 27psi up here on 91oct, but I don't know if that's gauge psi or manifold.

EvoTio, the 4-puck is still performing wonderfully, but now Exedy wants me to install their Carbon Twin to test it and send back the 4-puck so that they can analyze it. Unfortunately, I just can't bear to ask my shop to do ANOTHER clutch install only 3 months after the last one, so Exedy is just having to wait a little while.
Old Jul 8, 2006, 10:37 PM
Evolved Member

wow you have clutches given to you. damn. I wish i... well on 2nd thought exedy would go out of business if they gave me clutches. lol
Old Jul 8, 2006, 11:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
I know the DD is one of the best dynos, so I'm thrilled to have one at my disposal, but I just wish it had the Dynojet/WinPep capability for comparing/posting/overlaying graphs.
At SEMA 2004 I spoke to one of the DD team and they indicated that there is newer (e.g. Windows-based) software available than what many DD operators use. Presumably it has more features/exports - the downside of course being that it requires your dyno PC to be running Windows (zing).
Old Jul 9, 2006, 12:56 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by RallyRedEVO
Wow, that's cool.... My IX with a TBE ( Catless ) and a custom Shiv flash did 296whp on a DD.

Sounds like you need the RallyRedEVO package.

Is RallyRedEVO teaming up with Vishnutuning?

Is it Vishnu tuned ECU + Brand X downpipe + Brand Y cat back + Home Depot boost controller (bleeder valve)?

Sorry everyone...I couldn't resist.
Old Jul 9, 2006, 01:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Vishnu_Evo8
wow you have clutches given to you. damn. I wish i... well on 2nd thought exedy would go out of business if they gave me clutches. lol
LMAOF! U beat me to it.
Old Jul 9, 2006, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ez76
At SEMA 2004 I spoke to one of the DD team and they indicated that there is newer (e.g. Windows-based) software available than what many DD operators use. Presumably it has more features/exports - the downside of course being that it requires your dyno PC to be running Windows (zing).
This dyno was just delivered and installed within the last month, so if there is Windows-based software available, I'm surprised they wouldn't have installed it unless it's an extra expensive add-on, eh.