Notices
Vishnu Performance - California [Visit Site]

Isn't That Lean?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2006, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Isn't That Lean?

I uploaded a V330+ 93 octane map from Shiv's website for catback and downpipe 2005 EVO. My car has a catback, downpipe, K&N filter and JDM DV.

I am currently mixing 91 octane with 100 octane to get 93 octane gas. So I decided to use the off-the-shelf map.

I did my first log and I think I am running lean. Here are the table/chart A lot of 12+:1 afrs as you can see. Isn't that too lean even for 93 octane?

This is a third gear pull to redline.

Attached Thumbnails Isn't That Lean?-afr_shiv_93_1.jpg   Isn't That Lean?-afr_shiv_93_2.jpg  
Old Jul 7, 2006, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is lean but have you properly calibrated the sensor??
Old Jul 7, 2006, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo23IG
It is lean but have you properly calibrated the sensor??
The sensor has been properly caliberated. I know it is working fine since I have logged with it on my custom 91 octane map. Check out the 13 logs in the table below taken with the very same sensor on my 91 octane map. They show 11-10.9 by 7K accross the board.

Old Jul 7, 2006, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

That looks to lean for my comfort level.

I'm running a similar setup.

What wideband setup are you running and what software if that ?

I'm glad I'll be installing my Zeitronix wideband real soon.

Old Jul 7, 2006, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Spec'd
That looks to lean for my comfort level.

I'm running a similar setup.

What wideband setup are you running and what software if that ?

I'm glad I'll be installing my Zeitronix wideband real soon.

It is an Innovate LM-1 unit and the software is Logworks. Really good unit. Zeitronix is good as well, but the software on the Z is weak. Not many options.

I have looked at the v330+ 91 octane off-the-shelf map and they have identical fuel maps. So it seems that both the 91 and 93 octane versions of the v330+ would run lean.

I will remove less fule from the Fuel/MAF table and see if I can bring the nunmbers down to 11.5:1 accross the board. If that does not work, I will go back to my custom 91 map and run 93 octane.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nj1266
It is an Innovate LM-1 unit and the software is Logworks. Really good unit. Zeitronix is good as well, but the software on the Z is weak. Not many options.

I have looked at the v330+ 91 octane off-the-shelf map and they have identical fuel maps. So it seems that both the 91 and 93 octane versions of the v330+ would run lean.

I will remove less fule from the Fuel/MAF table and see if I can bring the nunmbers down to 11.5:1 accross the board. If that does not work, I will go back to my custom 91 map and run 93 octane.

One thing I just found out about the Zeitronix, is that you are required
to use a BOSCH O2 sensor only, no NTK.

The only difference between the two V330+ maps, is the 91 map pulling
more timing.

Once I get my wideband, egt, etc... My goal will be 11.2 on 91 and no higher than 12.0 on pure 100.

BTW there is a sticky in the Vishnu section, on how to make a race map.
Shiv states that -.4 on the fuel setting is equivilent to about a point higher
in the a/f.

EDIT: That LOGWORKS is nice software, much nicer than the Zietronix.

Last edited by Spec'd; Jul 7, 2006 at 10:44 AM.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

One thing I just found out about the Zeitronix, is that you are required
to use a BOSCH O2 sensor only, no NTK.

The only difference between the two V330+ maps, is the 91 map pulling
more timing.

Once I get my wideband, egt, etc... My goal will be 11.2 on 91 and no higher than 12.0 on pure 100.

BTW there is a sticky in the Vishnu section, on how to make a race map.
Shiv states that -.4 on the fuel setting is equivilent to about a point higher
in the a/f.
The Bosch Sensor is a very good sensor. That is the one that I use. It is widely available. It is VW Golf GTI 2001-2003 sensor. You can get one from NAPA online for $46. I got a second one as a spare. I believe that with the LM-1 you can use other sensors as long as the sensor plug fits the LM-1 cable.

That is a good goal. My custom 91 map has an identical setting 11.2:1 and tapers to 10.9-10.8 by redline/cutoff. Make sure that your AFR tapers down by redline.

I already have a race map. It is set a bit more aggressive than my street map. Around 11.5:1. It was set conservative on purpose. The 100 octane map is for the track and the gas will be used mostly to guard against detonation.

Thanks for the heads up on the fuel setting. Now I know that I need to add about 1/2 a point in the fuel map to bring the AFR down by 1 point.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nj1266
The Bosch Sensor is a very good sensor. That is the one that I use. It is widely available. It is VW Golf GTI 2001-2003 sensor. You can get one from NAPA online for $46. I got a second one as a spare. I believe that with the LM-1 you can use other sensors as long as the sensor plug fits the LM-1 cable.

That is a good goal. My custom 91 map has an identical setting 11.2:1 and tapers to 10.9-10.8 by redline/cutoff. Make sure that your AFR tapers down by redline.

I already have a race map. It is set a bit more aggressive than my street map. Around 11.5:1. It was set conservative on purpose. The 100 octane map is for the track and the gas will be used mostly to guard against detonation.

Thanks for the heads up on the fuel setting. Now I know that I need to add about 1/2 a point in the fuel map to bring the AFR down by 1 point.
Someone on this forum mentioned that the BOSCH O2 sensor only samples
at about 10HZ. Something else to research.
The NTK's are expensive, I atleast know that much.

Thanks for the reminder on tapering the a/f down towards redline.

And I promised myself I would leave it stock.

Last edited by Spec'd; Jul 7, 2006 at 11:46 AM.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 12:39 PM

I believe the offset is "-4" not "-.4". Please see Shiv's quote below:

"Now, with your mouse, select the entire table from Load 25 and up. Right click on the mouse button and select "Add Offset". Input "-4" and hit enter. This will remove -4 points of fuel from the entire on-boost fuel table. FWIW, load values below 25 represent mostly off boost/cruising conditions. Taking away this fuel will enlean your AFR by approx 1 point. So if you were running AFRs of 12:1 to 11:1 by redline, you should now be around 13.0:1 to 12:1 by redline. So now your leaner MAF table should look like this:"

Just trying ot help...
Old Jul 7, 2006, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fishing_ndw
I believe the offset is "-4" not "-.4". Please see Shiv's quote below:

"Now, with your mouse, select the entire table from Load 25 and up. Right click on the mouse button and select "Add Offset". Input "-4" and hit enter. This will remove -4 points of fuel from the entire on-boost fuel table. FWIW, load values below 25 represent mostly off boost/cruising conditions. Taking away this fuel will enlean your AFR by approx 1 point. So if you were running AFRs of 12:1 to 11:1 by redline, you should now be around 13.0:1 to 12:1 by redline. So now your leaner MAF table should look like this:"

Just trying ot help...
Sorry my mistake.

Old Jul 7, 2006, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
NJ, do you think it's in any way related to your fairly low boost?
Old Jul 7, 2006, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
NJ, do you think it's in any way related to your fairly low boost?
They are kind of low, would that lean out the a/f ?

Last edited by Spec'd; Jul 7, 2006 at 01:28 PM.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 02:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
FYI not all bosch widebands are made equal not even all NTK widebands are made equal. The bosch sensor from VW can be low quality. Wideband sensors come in different grades of accuracy.

This is a verified fact from my back to back testing using an innovate wideband both with a bosch sensor from innovate, and a vw bosch sensor bought online against the built in Motec PLM inside the Dynapack control unit, and a handheld PLM.

For best results it is better to buy the sensor from innovate. They are more expensive, but definately more reliable, IMHO.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They are kind of low, would that lean out the a/f ?
This is a confounding question that has stumped me for quite a while and one for which I have not found a proper answer, but when I last tuned myself on the dyno for 2 hours, I was doing all sorts of different boost levels to see how it would affect the power, and incidentally I saw my AFRs changing along with the boost. When I would crank my boost up high, the whole AFR curve would drop, and then I was able to remove more fuel. When I had the boost lowered significantly, the AFRs jumped up much leaner to the 12s from mid 11s. Likewise, when I was last tuned by Al at sea level, I was in the 11.3-11.5 range across the board at 26psi on alky. I moved to Colorado at 6000' where we see much less absolute pressure (boost) at the same boost level, and without changing my MBC, I got on the dyno and saw my whole AFR curve above 12. I had expected to be on the rich side due to having LESS air (low atmospheric pressure = less density), but it was opposite. I don't know exactly why, but I do know my boost was 2-3psi lower.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
This is a confounding question that has stumped me for quite a while and one for which I have not found a proper answer, but when I last tuned myself on the dyno for 2 hours, I was doing all sorts of different boost levels to see how it would affect the power, and incidentally I saw my AFRs changing along with the boost. When I would crank my boost up high, the whole AFR curve would drop, and then I was able to remove more fuel. When I had the boost lowered significantly, the AFRs jumped up much leaner to the 12s from mid 11s. Likewise, when I was last tuned by Al at sea level, I was in the 11.3-11.5 range across the board at 26psi on alky. I moved to Colorado at 6000' where we see much less absolute pressure (boost) at the same boost level, and without changing my MBC, I got on the dyno and saw my whole AFR curve above 12. I had expected to be on the rich side due to having LESS air (low atmospheric pressure = less density), but it was opposite. I don't know exactly why, but I do know my boost was 2-3psi lower.
It would seem possible that increasing boost levels to a point might cause the ECU to dump more fuel ? ... sort of a sweet spot, obviously to much boost has
adverse effects.

It sounds like your ECU compensated for the changes in absolute pressure.
Wouldn't less pressure at the same boost cause the ECU to pull fuel ?

Quick Reply: Isn't That Lean?