Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Interesting Carbonetics Triple Failure

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2007, 06:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting Carbonetics Triple Failure

Forgot to take any pics but thought I would explain what happened.

One of my friends friend has a red Evo 9 with a 2 litre with drop in pistons and rods, a massive Innovate turbo with full-race header, AEM, ATS triple, and other bits. Well it was supposedly working pretty good and my friend who drives the car for the owner called me and said they were going to the track to do a time.

Well the first pass was a bit of mess (I think they had the launch control setup not too well). Then the second pass again some bogging off the line, etc and then just after 4th shifts, the car slows down and stops at the end of track.

They tow the car back, and start looking at whats wrong. First thing you see when popping the hood is a big hole in the top of the bell housing towards the front of the car. The hole was probably 6x6" wide!

You could see once looking inside the bell housing that the outer skirt of the cover had basically broke in several large pieces. I believe on the ATS clutches this side part of the cover is held to the flywheel and the "cover" is just the top piece.

Anyway, in looking at the car more closely, we noticed that there was a large thin slice in this large rubber elbow for the intake of the turbo. After pulling the intake pipe there was a large piece of the clutch inside and the compressor blades were totally mashed up!

Just wanted to share this story as this was my first experience seeing part of clutch exiting the bell housing with velocity. I'm thinking of getting a cover or scatter shield for my own Evo. My friend says RRE sells one.

I'll try to take some pics if I am over there again.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow well thats what the scatter shield is for to avoid this.

Take some pics. Like you said if the launch control wasnt setup right that could really be a major factor in this case.

Keep this thread updated. The shop i go to uses Carbonetics Triple in there drag car and ill be useing it im my car as well.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

I still feel that carbon will out wear metal. Causing the metal to wrap and crack. Thats why i love my Tilton
Old Dec 5, 2007, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

^After months of research I've ordered the tilton twin carbon as well..

ATS was the first choice but after seeing the success buschur had...my mind was made up.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

I think they've dropped the tranny and pulled things apart a bit.

I'll try to get some pics. Should be interesting to see why the Carbonetics blew up.

I have a new Carbonetics triple sitting here. My Exedy twin slipped in 5th gear at the track so the Carbonetics was going to go in next. Now I'm a bit concerned. I wish I got Exedy triple but at the time I was in the states nobody had in stock

Tilton looked good but it just sounded like it was too hard to drive. I had a 3 paddle Exedy single plate that was a ***** to drive and I hated that so did not want that problem with the Tilton.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 08:57 AM
Evolving Member

wow that is pretty crazy
Old Dec 5, 2007, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

I wouldn't be worried about the ATS clutch. We have used them a couple times in big horsepower cars and they worked great. He may have just had a flawed one, or there could be other contrbuting factors, but I wouldn't be that quick to write off ATS.

Mitch
Old Dec 6, 2007, 09:20 PM
Former Sponsor

I can't imagine a catastrophic failure like that with an ATS. I don't care for a few things in the design, but I didn't see anything that seems dangerous by any means. I would like to see photos to try and determine the real cause of the failure.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 09:23 PM
Evolving Member

that sucks, would love to see some pictures, time for a tilton!
Old Dec 7, 2007, 06:08 AM
Evolving Member

Keep us up dated.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 10:21 AM
Evolving Member

Warning!!!!!
I had the same thing happen to me! The ATS tripple exploded and took out the tranny, radiator, turbo etc. I don't think much of them as you can guess and the darn floater plates warp much too easily!
I probably had it for about 300 miles.
Bought the Tilton CC and have rejoiced ever since. Now thats a clutch.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 10:43 AM
Account Disabled

we've had great luck with the carbonetics/ATS stuff so far in every application we've used, ive never heard of a failure like this before! bump for some pics
Old Dec 7, 2007, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Seems like there is some interest so I'll get over there tonight and see whats left of the remains

Last I heard they were stroking the 2 litre doing a full rebuild so I wonder if some of those bits of clutch or mashed up compressor blades made to the engine? Will find the whole story tonight and try to get some pics.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 02:08 PM
Evolving Member

Subscribed....
Old Dec 7, 2007, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

Where are the pics