Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2009 BSP Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2009, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 BSP Discussion

Well, even though the BSP plans have been scrapped (for 2009 at least), I guess I can start this year's thread too. Here's last year's:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mo...iscussion.html

I'd like to kick off this year's thread with a discussion on power. For those looking to get into BSP on a national level, what kind of power do they need to be making? I'd be interested to see what some of our nationally prepped cars are putting out and how they got there.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 01:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm trying 295 Hoosiers this year. I'll see how (bad) of an idea they are. Got 'em cheap, so we'll see how it goes. Noticably larger diameter than the 285's.

My BSP car puts out 305 at the wheels - Exhaust (w/ Cat) and tune by TurboTrix. That would be a baseline for starting this discussion I would say.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by GTLocke13
I'd like to kick off this year's thread with a discussion on power. For those looking to get into BSP on a national level, what kind of power do they need to be making? I'd be interested to see what some of our nationally prepped cars are putting out and how they got there.
It doesn't take much to make "national" level power. TBE, no cat, ported stock exhaust manifold, LICP, and a reflash for high octane gas. the end. you should end up somewhere in the 350WHP range with an evo9.

I'd guess the Millers are winning the power war in BSP at the moment on e85. Maybe we can get Frank to spill the beans on his setup.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by griceiv
It doesn't take much to make "national" level power. TBE, no cat, ported stock exhaust manifold, LICP, and a reflash for high octane gas. the end. you should end up somewhere in the 350WHP range with an evo9.

I'd guess the Millers are winning the power war in BSP at the moment on e85. Maybe we can get Frank to spill the beans on his setup.
IIRC he was spouting numbers north of 360-370hp on E85. From what I can tell all you really need is a consistent source of E85 and some 1000cc injectors.

Marshall,

I'm assuming you're quoting the 350 number on something like a dynojet. That would be pretty sick power on a DD or mustang.

I think my evo8 with the same mods you listed (almost to a T) would be around 320-330hp on high octane. Mine dyno'd at 298hp/320tq on a dynojet during the original tune 3yrs ago. It's time for some fresh tuning and more juice.

FWIW I had a couple friends make the observation that the Berry car and Miller car were visibly quicker during acceleration than my car at HPT. With most of the other stuff settled I am looking at ways to improve the powerband on my car to get out of the hole. The evo9 just has sooooo much low end tq it's crazy. Seriously.

Matt,

Good luck fitting those 295's. The 285's are very wide and difficult to fit as is. I think Evolutionary is still running 285's on his 10.5" (or is it 11") front wheels and he has fenders. It also looked like the Miller car still had 285's on their 10.5" fronts. As a reference even the 285 A6 is 1/4" taller and 3/8" wider than the V710.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kekek
Marshall,

I'm assuming you're quoting the 350 number on something like a dynojet. That would be pretty sick power on a DD or mustang.
well i was quoting dynapak numbers actually, but dynojet numbers should be close to that as well.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 05:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kekek
Good luck fitting those 295's.

Heh, we'll see. They were cheap enough to justify the experiment.

I'll be running the Miata for the most part this year, so I'm not too concerned.

ps. If you win the lottery this year, I'm voting that you purchase an Evo IX drivetrain. Kristin needs a car for Nationals this year Looking forward to seeing your progress this year.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Mike's car will be modded to the gills and running some serious go-juice, so his car should be a good indication of what a fully prepped BSP car put down power wise.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 03:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Matt2.8NJ
I'm trying 295 Hoosiers this year. I'll see how (bad) of an idea they are. Got 'em cheap, so we'll see how it goes. Noticably larger diameter than the 285's.
Yeah, the biggest problem I see isn't so much the width (10mm isn't much) but that you're going to a 35 series tire, which should be MUCH taller than the 285. Of course I'm waiting to see what happens once someone finally decides to just chop their fenders and run 335's.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, the biggest problem I see isn't so much the width (10mm isn't much) but that you're going to a 35 series tire, which should be MUCH taller than the 285. Of course I'm waiting to see what happens once someone finally decides to just chop their fenders and run 335's.
Marshall has already tried fitting 315's or 335's. From what he said the seam in the back of the front fender is the biggest issue. In SM they can "massage" it with their allowances, we can't in SP.

I know Max C. (NYR) has fit some 315 or so V710's, but they probably aren't all that wide in comparison to the hoosiers. He's also got an XP car, so who knows what kind of work he did to fit them besides trimming the fenders.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

315's should be pretty easy in SM or XP. modify the rear trailing arm (aka build a new one) and new front lower a-arms to push the wheel forward and you'd be in business.

you're gonna be hard pressed to make the tall tires driveable in SP though. Minimal steering angle and mega chopped rear fenders *might* make it work.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 06:48 PM
Evolving Member

Dave, the Hoosiers are 295/30/18. OD is 25.3 according to Tire Rack:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.j...irePageLocQty=

I lined them up side by side, and the height looks about the stock 235 snow tires I have on now. Just a helluva lot wider.

If I didn't splurge on house renovations... I might consider something fun like tearing up the fenders
Old Jan 5, 2009, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Matt2.8NJ
Dave, the Hoosiers are 295/30/18. OD is 25.3 according to Tire Rack:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.j...irePageLocQty=

I lined them up side by side, and the height looks about the stock 235 snow tires I have on now. Just a helluva lot wider.

If I didn't splurge on house renovations... I might consider something fun like tearing up the fenders
Hmmm house renovations

....that means you probably already own a sawsall!

And if you don't:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=4095
$35!!

Sawsall 1
Fenders 0
Old Jan 5, 2009, 09:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by griceiv
315's should be pretty easy in SM or XP. modify the rear trailing arm (aka build a new one) and new front lower a-arms to push the wheel forward and you'd be in business.

you're gonna be hard pressed to make the tall tires driveable in SP though. Minimal steering angle and mega chopped rear fenders *might* make it work.
Could you run a staggered setup to avoid cutting, and not have to use as front bias of spring rate? 315's in the front with 285's in the rear?

Or is this thinking way outside the box?
Old Jan 5, 2009, 09:53 PM

I hate to disappoint you Marshall but we are putting down 342 hp at the wheels on E85 on a Dynapak. The E85 just gets the VIII about even with the IX. You still have the slightly bigger turbo and the MIVEC which should give you about a 30 hp advantage. I get about 320 on the race gas tune. My base was 292 whp which is why I went with a retune and the E-85.

On the tire size issue, I have not tried any thing bigger on the EVO than the 285. However, I explored the limits when I went with the 10.5 wide wheels. I took out the springs and ran the suspension through its range at various intervals. I know that it made sense at the time but I can not decifer my notes. My conclusion was that any increase in tire width would all be to the out side at the front. Since I do not have the double adjustable flag struts up front I am probably almost 0.5 inches narrower than you would be with a 285 on a 10.5 inch wheel. When we ran the SM Neon we were 3 inches wider at the front on 245/45/16's than Tunnell's BMW on 315's. That is not a good thing. We also had to raise the ride height to get enough wheel lock and reduce under fender contact. The Neon was also 2 inches wider than the EVO in its current configuration. Eric Stemler tried the 315's several years ago on his SM EVO and concluded that it was not the way to go. As you go wider on the tire to the out side you also do some funky things to the steering geometry. These are just my thoughts and experience. Take is for what it is worth. If I ever get around to rebuilding the engine for the Neon, Iwill still try the new 275/30/15 just for the heck of it.

Frank
Old Jan 6, 2009, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SmokingTires
Could you run a staggered setup to avoid cutting, and not have to use as front bias of spring rate? 315's in the front with 285's in the rear?

Or is this thinking way outside the box?
different height tires are going to be interesting with the AWD.

Quick Reply: 2009 BSP Discussion