Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

aem hookup to evoscan

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2009, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
aem hookup to evoscan

what im asking is how does one hookup the outputs of the AEM UEGO to the laptop to log in evoscan
I have a tactrix cable also and want to do some logging to make sure everything is ok
thanks for the help
Old Apr 18, 2009, 11:48 PM
Evolving Member

Step 1. Get the AFR output from the AEM UEGO as a serial data stream on a female DB-9 connector

http://www.aempower.com/images/produ...%2030-4100.pdf

Read bottom of page 3, top of page 4, and especially top of page 6.

But basically, you want to connect:
- the blue wire from the AEM UEGO (AFR serial output) to pin 2 of a female DB-9 serial connector
- the black wire from the AEM UEGO (or alternative common ground) to pin 5 of the same female DB-9 connector

That basically gives you the serial data output stream of the AFR from the AEM on a female DB-9 connector.

Step 2. Connect serial stream to PC

a) If you have an older PC/laptop with a legacy serial port connector, just connector just connect the AEM female DB-9 connector (described in step 1 above) to your PC using a standard 9-pin serial cable.

OR

b) if you have a newer PC with no legacy serial ports, you'll need to buy a USB-serial adapter/converter (e.g. Zeitronix sells one: http://www.zeitronix.com/order/order.htm, the thing in blue near the bottom of the page).

Then you:
- connect the male serial connector end of the USB-serial adapter to the female connector described in step 1 above
- connect the USB end of the USB-serial adapter to a USB port on your PC/laptop
- install the software driver for the USB-serial adapter on your PC/laptop

Step 3. Configure EvoScan to read from AEM UEGO

a) From drop down menu WideBand (WDB) in EvoScan (top right), select 'AEM UEGO' as your AFR unit

b) From drop down menu WideBand (WDB) in EvoScan (top right), select 'Select WideBand Serial ComPort', and set it to the COM Port on your PC/laptop that you are using to connect to your AEM UEGO unit. [WideBand (WDB) in EvoScan --> 'Open Windows Device Manager to check ports (COM)' can be used to help you try and identify which COM port is being used if you're not sure]

c) Tick WDB (External WideBand A/F Ratio) in the 'Items to Data Log' in EvoScan

Step 4. (OPTIONAL) Verify AFR serial data stream from AEM UEGO

If you can't seem to get it to work, and you want to verify that the AEM UEGO serial data stream containing your AFR info is really getting to your PC/laptop, you can open a terminal software program like HyperTerminal or TeraTerm, and set the terminal software program settings as per bottom of page 6 of the AEM UEGO installation instructions, and then verify that the terminal software program displays your AFR serial stream as shown on top of page 7 of the AEM UEGO installation instructions.

HAPPY LOGGING!!

Edit for clarification:
- Your Tactrix cable connects to your OBDII connector and allows logging of parameters available via OBDII connector
- To get the AFR serial stream from your AEM UEGO into your PC/laptop, you need to use an additional serial cable (or USB-serial adapter) i.e. different and separate from the Tactrix cable (as described in Steps 1 and 2 above)
- The way you tell EvoScan how to integrate your AFR data into your EvoScan log, from the additional cable that is different and separate from your Tactrix cable, is described in Step 3 above.

Last edited by SoCal Rally; Apr 19, 2009 at 12:29 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old Apr 25, 2009, 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

this was the single most informative post i have gotten in this forum in a while
thanks for the info
Old Apr 29, 2009, 03:11 PM
Evolving Member

No prob, happy to help.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 11:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to agree. I am new to this and just learned a lot right here. The info here was really helpful. Thanks for doing it!
Old May 1, 2009, 07:49 AM
Evolving Member

cool, glad you also found the info helpful.
Old May 1, 2009, 08:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
great write up, the tricky part is connecting the serial cable to the AEM WB. use hyperterminal and just test all the different wires.
Old May 1, 2009, 01:10 PM
Evolving Member

well, getting the serial data stream output from the AFR may be the most 'tricky' part, but it really shouldn't be that difficult at all ... the AEM UEGO wires are color-coded, and the serial connector has numbers on (often only 1, 5, 6, and 9 pins are numbered), so only basic rudimentary soldering skills are needed to solder the AEM serial data output and ground wires to the right pins is necessary.
Old May 1, 2009, 04:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well, getting the serial data stream output from the AFR may be the most 'tricky' part, but it really shouldn't be that difficult at all ... the AEM UEGO wires are color-coded, and the serial connector has numbers on (often only 1, 5, 6, and 9 pins are numbered), so only basic rudimentary soldering skills are needed to solder the AEM serial data output and ground wires to the right pins is necessary.
yeah its as simple as that but i got a serial cable that did not have the correct pins or colours, hence the hyperterminal.
Old May 8, 2009, 09:27 PM
Evolving Member

Thank you for the info!!!
Old May 9, 2009, 06:34 AM
Evolved Member

where is hyperterminal in vista 64?
Old May 9, 2009, 11:36 AM
Evolving Member

MS has removed HyperTerminal from Vista. Alternatives:

1. TeraTerm: http://sourceforge.jp/projects/ttssh2/releases/
2. PuTTY: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~s.../download.html
Old Jul 4, 2009, 05:15 PM
Evolving Member

Mine shows up properly for a second or two and then logging stops on it's own.

It the window on the right it says something like "instance not set to an instance of an object"
Old Jul 4, 2009, 06:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Rob_GPT
Mine shows up properly for a second or two and then logging stops on it's own.

It the window on the right it says something like "instance not set to an instance of an object"
Get this... when I turn the interior dash lights on (including my other 2 gauge lights) the link drops. Guess I need to find some clean power for the UEGO
Old Jul 17, 2009, 01:32 AM
Evolving Member

Where did you end up getting power from? I've been getting this error lately

Quick Reply: aem hookup to evoscan