Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Autopower bar and track wheels?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2008, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Autopower bar and track wheels?

Does anyone track with an autopower roll bar and transport track wheels? If so, how do you do it since the bar renders the back seat useless. Any ideas?
Great minds want to know.....
Old Oct 6, 2008, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

Search, someone modified their autopower so one of the bars was removable to get tires in and out.

I think this is a better option personally. > http://www.pbase.com/rsrock/trailer&page=all
Old Oct 6, 2008, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the Autopower rollbar , and I track my car. My tire solution, was to get the same trailer as show on the website above, from Ebay for $150+shipping .

I live in Brooklyn, Ny, and so far Ive been to Mid-Ohio, Pocono, and Watkins Glen. +- 2000 miles that I put on that trailer in the past 3 months or so.

I was able to bring my tires, floor jack with stands, all the tools needed to do basic stuff.

I was able to drive 70mph, and everything was fine with the trailer .

But now Im looking to get a cheap SUV and a trailer. It so easy to damage your car, and it will suck being stuck hundreds of miles away from your house ..
Old Oct 6, 2008, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pretty sure you can remove the passenger seat and put the wheels back there and put the seat back in if you need it.

removing the seat is easy
Old Oct 6, 2008, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
you can't once you put an Autopower rollbar. Unless you go with custom made rollbar, then yes. My friend paid ~1K for a custom made rollbar, and hes able to still use rear back seat
Old Oct 6, 2008, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

I did the Harbor Freight trailer this year with the Evo trailer hitch (forget the guys name that sells it) and it was great.

At times it was a bit unnerving driving on crappy roads and watching the tralier and tires bounce around a bit thinking that the tie downs would come undone

Next year I'm going to get metal brackets welded to the trailer so I can run a rod across that can be locked down and be reasonably assured that I won't see tires bouncing down the highway.

I found no method to get tires into the car with an unmodified Autopower roll bar
Old Oct 6, 2008, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

oh the autopower has the flat bar across the way behind the passengers seat doesn't it. IIRC

yeah I had a custom rollbar made and I can use the backseat area if I remove the passenger seat.

but for the extra money you could go along way towards buying a trailer & hitch.
Old Oct 7, 2008, 06:30 AM

I really don't want to be saddled with a trailer if I can help it. Possibly the removeable bar might work, otherwise I may go custom.
Old Oct 7, 2008, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

I'm the guy that modified his autopower bar. See pics and more details in the Autopower thread here:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...7&postcount=70

I can transport 3 tires in the backseat areas - currently 255's but I believe 275's would work as well. The 4th goes in the trunk upside down and I pack stuff inside it. No trailer...
Old Oct 7, 2008, 06:20 PM

So you basically just cut out a section of the diagonal for the maximum width of the tires. I like it, nice solution, thanks!
Old Oct 7, 2008, 07:08 PM
Evolving Member

custom rollbar

Hey Riksride,

I'm the friend Letmein was referring to re: a custom rollbar and I highly recommend it. I believe it is much stronger than the autopower rollbar because it is welded in to the FRAME not bolted to the floorpan. It has significantly stiffened my car and I can fit a full set of 275/40-17 race wheels in the back seat without removing the back seats.

I paid a grand installed. If you factor in the cost of the autopower rollbar, freight and your install time, going custom was not really much more. And it also includes a clevised harness bar which I remove for daily driving. This setup has been ideal for me.

I had a mine fabbed at Farks Supercars in Bayridge Brooklyn. Alex from Dogboxracing recommend them and they will definitely work on your car with care.
Attached Thumbnails Autopower bar and track wheels?-.jpg   Autopower bar and track wheels?-b.jpg   Autopower bar and track wheels?-c.jpg  
Old Oct 7, 2008, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by inslowoutfast
Hey Riksride,

I'm the friend Letmein was referring to re: a custom rollbar and I highly recommend it. I believe it is much stronger than the autopower rollbar because it is welded in to the FRAME not bolted to the floorpan. It has significantly stiffened my car and I can fit a full set of 275/40-17 race wheels in the back seat without removing the back seats.

I paid a grand installed. If you factor in the cost of the autopower rollbar, freight and your install time, going custom was not really much more. And it also includes a clevised harness bar which I remove for daily driving. This setup has been ideal for me.

I had a mine fabbed at Farks Supercars in Bayridge Brooklyn. Alex from Dogboxracing recommend them and they will definitely work on your car with care.
That looks nice and wasn't too bad a $ considering the install as you mentioned. Install time takes a big chunk too! Sucky part that you lose some of your trunk usage though with this option.

Autopower does have a bolt-on option to make a full cage - and it does already meet regs. In saying that; I'd recommend going custom any day of the week if you have the option and the $$ allows.

Last edited by boomn29; Oct 7, 2008 at 07:16 PM.
Old Oct 7, 2008, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

check your local sanctioning body about roll bar requirements. not everything meets specs.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 04:31 AM
Evolved Member

Well i've been putting 3 tires in all year long with the autopower roll bar. The only way i've been able to get the tires in the back seat is to remove the driver seat and then put them thru that way. Then i lift them up and rest them on the cross bar of the cage and the back seat , sorta like a tire rack. It really isn't hard to take the seat out so it's not too big of a deal. I do it mostly because i couldn't stand to drive in my race seat for more then an hour so i put the race seat in back and take out the stock seat when i get to the track.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 07:55 AM

autopower roll bar

Thanks inslowoutfast, nice custom job. The only concerns I have are losing some trunk space as was mentioned, and also it would be difficult to sell with a welded in rollbar. But it's nice to have options!

Quick Reply: Autopower bar and track wheels?