Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

aem intake

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2010, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aem intake

hi guy's

i would like to know what do you think about this AEM intake (21-678C)
http://www.aemintakes.com/search/pro...x?Prod=21-678C

is it a good piece for my evox mr???

thanks
Old Apr 5, 2010, 09:55 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I seen the LTFTs are this intake, makes the car really lean and forces the ECU to add a ton of fuel to compensate. Not a fan of any intake that changes the MAF tube diameter. Otherwise you will need a ton of tuning to compensate.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 10:00 PM

^ Interesting, I didn't know AEM changed the MAF diameter, seems like they should know better. . .
Old Apr 5, 2010, 10:48 PM

add to that what is the best intake??
Old Apr 7, 2010, 12:10 PM
Evolving Member

i read about the lean issues previously.... but i had mine on since new (about 5 months) with no problems, and car still seems ultra rich from the looks of the exhaust tips. gonna get tuned pretty soon though.

also, i think if you do a search, some have reported raised boost levels... though i have no way of verifying except that my car runs well as is.

as for the "best" intake... there are only a couple that are CARB legal. and the AEM one appears to be the most well designed.

Last edited by St1g; Apr 7, 2010 at 12:13 PM.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 12:42 PM
Evolving Member

the exhaust tips aren't exactly a great way to measure AFR my car is tuned and still filthies up the tips and the back of the car pretty well.

if you get the AEM intake it's definitely better to tune for it. the good thing is you can find the ecuflash maf scalings online if you search, and Cobb AP has OTS tunes for it. of course, it would be better just to get a proper tune, since that's the best bang for your buck mod out there anyways
Old Apr 7, 2010, 12:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lodifreefly
the exhaust tips aren't exactly a great way to measure AFR my car is tuned and still filthies up the tips and the back of the car pretty well.

if you get the AEM intake it's definitely better to tune for it. the good thing is you can find the ecuflash maf scalings online if you search, and Cobb AP has OTS tunes for it. of course, it would be better just to get a proper tune, since that's the best bang for your buck mod out there anyways
agreed. just waiting for the moon and stars to align so i can get down to the tuner.

op--another consideration which may or may not be important to you is whether you like that blow-off sound. open intakes like ams' are MUCH louder. i heard my friend's ams unit and was really jealous. the aem is a bit louder than stock. but i feel the aem is still more engineered, so i kept it anyway, secretly wishing to be more ricey.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 12:30 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by St1g
agreed. just waiting for the moon and stars to align so i can get down to the tuner.

op--another consideration which may or may not be important to you is whether you like that blow-off sound. open intakes like ams' are MUCH louder. i heard my friend's ams unit and was really jealous. the aem is a bit louder than stock. but i feel the aem is still more engineered, so i kept it anyway, secretly wishing to be more ricey.
Also the aem is going to have cooler intake temps because of the air box. I had a cobb intake before and logged intake temps up to 20F higher on the cobb than the aem unit.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 12:43 AM

I had a AEM intake...I upgraded to a ARC intake. No problems at all.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 10:44 AM
Evolving Member

Also the aem is going to have cooler intake temps because of the air box. I had a cobb intake before and logged intake temps up to 20F higher on the cobb than the aem unit.
20deg F is HUGE. Was this measured via the ECU readings? Stationary/idle or at driving speeds? I always wondered about this... if you can confirm, this is a huge + for AEM.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 10:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by St1g
20deg F is HUGE. Was this measured via the ECU readings? Stationary/idle or at driving speeds? I always wondered about this... if you can confirm, this is a huge + for AEM.
Measured at highway speed so that the airbox was getting nice cool air from the front of the vehicle vs. the cobb that was getting it from the engine bay. The cobb did not have a heat shield, so the AMS and other units that have a head shield would probably see improvements over the cobb as well. the temp was measured via the cobb AP (ecu).
Old Apr 8, 2010, 11:19 AM
Evolving Member

Measured at highway speed so that the airbox was getting nice cool air from the front of the vehicle vs. the cobb that was getting it from the engine bay. The cobb did not have a heat shield, so the AMS and other units that have a head shield would probably see improvements over the cobb as well. the temp was measured via the cobb AP (ecu).
thanks!... that's awesome! i wouldn't call those things "heat shields" though for those other units--i think their main purpose is more to block radiator wind from interfering (correct me if i'm wrong). they still draw mostly ambient engine air. aem and arc might be the only ones that utilize the oem "cold air" design. though i know some like ams do offer "cold air" solutions by placing the filter in front of the engine bay to draw air from the front of the car. sweet man.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 11:57 AM
Evolving Member

hey st1g, i see that you have a 2010 evo x..just want to inform you, because you have the aem intake..i have a 2010 evo x too..i got the aem intake too..

when i installed the cbe and aem intake, my afr's where damn lean (like 11.9-12.3 yes 12.3) and unstable, and i was untuned at that time..so that's why i quickly bought my tuning tools..remember the 2010's had lean spool on + the aem intake increases boost due to the vacuum lines + it has increased maf housing..I'm not saying AEM is bad, it is well designed IMO due to the airbox..but you need to get that thing tuned..that is why i changed the intake pipe to nisei and use the stock maf housing to get more accurate readings in the maf..just trying to let you know.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 12:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tonyboy
hey st1g, i see that you have a 2010 evo x..just want to inform you, because you have the aem intake..i have a 2010 evo x too..i got the aem intake too..

when i installed the cbe and aem intake, my afr's where damn lean (like 11.9-12.3 yes 12.3) and unstable, and i was untuned at that time..so that's why i quickly bought my tuning tools..remember the 2010's had lean spool on + the aem intake increases boost due to the vacuum lines + it has increased maf housing..I'm not saying AEM is bad, it is well designed IMO due to the airbox..but you need to get that thing tuned..that is why i changed the intake pipe to nisei and use the stock maf housing to get more accurate readings in the maf..just trying to let you know.
Oh wow. Thanks for letting me know man. I'll definately get it tuned asap!
Old Apr 8, 2010, 12:18 PM
Evolving Member

Aem is the best and I had no problem..

Quick Reply: aem intake