Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Any engine output difference for diff EVO X trims

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2010, 08:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Any engine output difference for diff EVO X trims

Hey everyone,
I am trading my RA in for new EVO. For those 2010 EVOs out there, any power output difference before GSR and MR (dyno reults...)? I've heard some ppl said MR is slightly faster... If there was, I am wondering how the 2011 trims will line up... MR/MR touring > SE > GSR...

Thanks!
Old Aug 13, 2010, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by odin
Hey everyone,
I am trading my RA in for new EVO. For those 2010 EVOs out there, any power output difference before GSR and MR (dyno reults...)? I've heard some ppl said MR is slightly faster... If there was, I am wondering how the 2011 trims will line up... MR/MR touring > SE > GSR...

Thanks!
No difference in engine output unless you are in the UK(FQ Models)
MR/SE are slightly faster in acceleration because of the SST transmission, but are slightly heavier.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 08:38 AM
AFD
Evolved Member

According to a review I found here (LINK), the GSR dyno'd at 268.4HP/252.8TQ while the MR had only 245.2HP/246.9TQ ..though, the reviewer stated that this was from the MR's ECU lowering the output due to traction issues, and that they felt the MR had the same amount of power.

Here's another thread with a similar discussion of MR vs GSR power output..

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...t-buy-s-2.html

Another thing to keep in mind is that any difference between the two while stock is probably minimal.. but modding the MR to higher outputs is supposed to be significantly more difficult, as the SST transmission cannot handle the additional power.

Search through the forums here and you'll find an absolute wealth of information.. I'm quite certain that any question you might have has probably been debated several times over, lol
Old Aug 13, 2010, 08:54 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks a lot for the inputs!!
Yeah, I knew the SST need to be babied But I just need 400 torque if MR/SE could handle...can they? I saw another guy here says he's got 500hp MR from AMS or so...
Old Aug 13, 2010, 09:29 AM
AFD
Evolved Member

Nice! I'm guessing they used their SST tranny cooler (LINK) on his MR. Wonder what else, if anything, was done SST-specific on that one.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

MR's can handle max 320ish lbs/torque on a Dynapak before the SST's clutches begin to slip...
Old Aug 13, 2010, 10:54 AM
Evolving Member

Sad, but good to know... Will AMS's SST cooler kit help? May need to upgrade to new clutch pad then... That would be yrs l8r anyway, not the thing I need to focus on at this point...
Show me the money, so I can have GT-R's pricy dual clutch!!! LOL
Old Aug 13, 2010, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Sad, but good to know... Will AMS's SST cooler kit help? May need to upgrade to new clutch pad then... That would be yrs l8r anyway, not the thing I need to focus on at this point...
Show me the money, so I can have GT-R's pricy dual clutch!!! LOL
It'll help with the fluids from overheating, but won't help from the clutchpacks slipping. Upgrading the clutchpacks will cost a lot of $$ in labor.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 01:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by skiracer
MR's can handle max 320ish lbs/torque on a Dynapak before the SST's clutches begin to slip...
Btw, Is 320 lbs/torque for wtq at AWD dyno?
Old Aug 13, 2010, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

Btw, Is 320 lbs/torque for wtq at AWD dyno?
Yes this is on a AWD Dynapak Dyno. Other Dyno's #'s will vary , but should give u a good general sense. If you want to make power out of a MR, it will cost a pretty penny. Might be better for you to get a GSR.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 02:20 PM
Evolving Member

Yes this is on a AWD Dynapak Dyno. Other Dyno's #'s will vary , but should give u a good general sense. If you want to make power out of a MR, it will cost a pretty penny. Might be better for you to get a GSR.
Appreciate!
Well, can't handle a stick... Would like to learn how, but too busy to even get start... Out for work, havn't sitten into my RA for weeks
Old Aug 13, 2010, 03:57 PM
Evolving Member

Have a mr (jdm sst) was running 320 whp and 350wtq for over a year and a half . Now have a bbx on it and close to 400 whp and the clutches are not slipping. According to vdr i have about the same tq as standard turbo tq (350wtq @4200 ish) just further up the rev range and holding it for longer.

Last edited by NZEvox; Aug 13, 2010 at 04:01 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 04:04 PM
Account Disabled

320wtq on that dynapak (under 300wtq on our Mustang, proven) is far and away from the actual clutch discs limits...

You are seeing software / stock rom tune limitations.

Some actual data I can share is we had a 2008 MR (BBX equipped) at 390whp/340wtq running for a bit, owner upgrade to SSP discs for future proofing and the stock discs looked brand new still when they came out.

Also have a FPgreen equipped with meth injection @ 26psi with no clutch slipping after tuning it out.

Have a bunch of other MR's running around with about the same power/trq with no issues of slipping.

However most MR's do hit the stock tune limit with mild mods and the clutches will slip, until you tune it out.

The stock discs need to get more credit then they currently do...

- Bryan

Last edited by GST Motorsports; Aug 13, 2010 at 04:10 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 05:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Appreciate!
Well, can't handle a stick... Would like to learn how, but too busy to even get start... Out for work, havn't sitten into my RA for weeks
Too busy to learn stick? lol. Man up and just drive that **** home. Thats what I did with my first stick car. Its not difficult.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GST Motorsports
320wtq on that dynapak (under 300wtq on our Mustang, proven) is far and away from the actual clutch discs limits...

You are seeing software / stock rom tune limitations.

Some actual data I can share is we had a 2008 MR (BBX equipped) at 390whp/340wtq running for a bit, owner upgrade to SSP discs for future proofing and the stock discs looked brand new still when they came out.

Also have a FPgreen equipped with meth injection @ 26psi with no clutch slipping after tuning it out.

Have a bunch of other MR's running around with about the same power/trq with no issues of slipping.

However most MR's do hit the stock tune limit with mild mods and the clutches will slip, until you tune it out.

The stock discs need to get more credit then they currently do...

- Bryan

indeed very good information

Quick Reply: Any engine output difference for diff EVO X trims