Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

HTA Green DBB testing at English Racing

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2011, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
HTA Green DBB testing at English Racing

For the last month we have been flogging one of the newly released HTA Greens in Lucas' Evo 8. The car has seen many different combos having gone from a 522whp stock turbo, 775whp FS635, to road racing spec with a IX turbo making just over 400whp.

The current combination is-

ER 9:1 SD2.4
GSC S1s
Mild head (cleaned up the bowls only)
V7 SD tune with Omni 4 Bar
FIC 950s
Aeromotive 340
TiTek O2 housing
Stock Intake manifold
Stock exhaust manifold
Buschur race exhaust

We have done a fair amount of testing and quickly decided that the 950s we not enough for what the HTA Green was capable of putting out. A second pump and larger injectors are a good idea on E85 with this turbocharger.

That said, the results even out of fuel were very interesting-

I have decided that using a MAC solenoid and ECU controlled boost would really help on this turbo as we had a big initial spike on the MBC and quick taper as the 2.4 got hungry and used up a lot of the air coming out of the turbocharger. Luke normally roadraces at far less boost of course and even then the turbo was making phenomonal power with excellent response.

Last night, Luke decided it was time for a 91 octane tune as he is heading to San Fransisco on vacation. For us WA/OR guys that get 92 the only way we can make is to fill with 89 and add a gallon or two of 92. I have actually dyno'd cars on 89 that knocked on Cali 91 (straight) so we'll have to see how accurate that is. Here is a comparison of the stock turbo to the new HTA Green BB turbo on pumpgas-

While the turbocharger doesnt magically make more power than its non ball bearing cousin it does offer some very distinct advantages. Its transient response between shifts is very fast and noticeable on the street. Here is some vidoe of it last night on the dyno and yesterday afternoon on our unspecified closed course. The slight notch from 5400 to 5900 was 1* of timing that the ECU was having a fit trying to decide if it was phantom or not. Fortunately I know better and took care of that situation later on the closed course test track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiJR5...el_video_title

Enjoy

Aaron
Old Aug 26, 2011, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Before anyone asks why I used STD correction for the first time in years, it was the only way to keep all the test data relatively comparable over the course of the last month. Despite what some might think it is not possible to ever get same day data (not that you can even compare that usually) in a test like this. We do our best to be honest and keep things fair so it is what it is. Also people in humid climates or ultra dry climates can see what is "average".

Aaron
Old Aug 26, 2011, 02:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice!!
Old Aug 26, 2011, 02:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i can't wait until these are available... OS green to DBB HTA green? like a dream come true
Old Aug 26, 2011, 02:06 PM
Evolving Member

Wow, nice number on 91 octane. I'm going to upgrade to green for sure
Old Aug 26, 2011, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Very nice. I talked with Robert about doing the BB conversion on my Green about 3 years ago but he had absolutely no interest in working on it at that time.

Dyno graph looks strong. Very fat. Looks very similar to my dyno graph with a BBK Full on a stock 2.0L block, same cams, E85. I would have expected the 2.4L to make more torque than HP with that small of a turbo, but that is probably due to your Dynojet loading the car less than a MD. That car looks like a complete blast to drive in the twisties!
Old Aug 26, 2011, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

We could have turned the load control on but since we only use that on Diesels and dont ever use it on gas cars I dont want throw a monkey wrench in the program all of the sudden by changing how we dyno cars. Once we get the injectors in the car there should be another 20-25whp there as it went 13.3 out the top on the 514.

FWIW, my car doesnt show spool on the dyno like it does the street.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice to see a very fair comparo!
Old Aug 26, 2011, 03:18 PM
Evolving Member

Sounds nasty!!!! I love it!!!
Old Aug 26, 2011, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

Those are very impressive numbers. Congrats!
Old Aug 26, 2011, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Damnit, I want a dbb green!

Listen to that thing whistle the whole damn time! lol

Lucas, are you running an o2 dump? I am wanting to get rid of mine, but am afraid of creep if I get a recirculate one.

Last edited by tsidrift1; Aug 26, 2011 at 03:37 PM.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 03:41 PM
Evolved Member

^seeing that he is talking and you can hear him during the video, I'm going to say he isn't dumping. Plus his wife probably wouldn't drive around with the kids in there being dumped.

Great writeup, Aaron! I know this is making mouths water! I hope to be down there in a couple weeks or so! A couple things to note:
- "closed course?" Lucky a cow or horse wasn't meandering out into the road
- did Luke purposely move the eyebrows to just out of frame?

Thanks for sharing, and keep up the great work! That thing is nasty!
Old Aug 26, 2011, 03:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yea, I didnt hear it lol. I guess my main question is if he is seeing any creep without it.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
she sounds great.....im liking this turbo more and more by the minute
Old Aug 26, 2011, 04:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
going through the gears on the dyno was pretty awesome to watch. that turbo sounds so responsive.. i cant imagine how it is, cause i think the black is pretty responsive, but a green on a 2.4 must respond like a stock 9 turbo pretty much.

so maybe looking at about 530-540 with more fuel?

looks like Lucas isnt afraid to give the car hell around a turn lol. thats something im afraid to do myself.

Quick Reply: HTA Green DBB testing at English Racing