Notices
AEM EMS Get tuning help for your AEM EMS system.

AEM vs. UTEC??? WHATS THE BEST?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2004, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AEM vs. UTEC??? WHATS THE BEST?

Im Planning On Getting Either One But I Just Want To Know Which One Is Beter...what Do You Guys Think??....
Old Sep 24, 2004, 03:35 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
It depends on what your looking for.. neither is better, but the AEM is a full standalone management system and has some features the UTEC does not. I love the UTEC.. the AEM can be a little difficult to configure and tune if your not familiar with it. They are both basically Plug and Play. People usually convert to the AEM for specific reasons, usually its because other tuning methods are not able to do what they need, or they need speed density in place of a MAF sensor.

with the UTEC you can be up and running well in a few hours.. the AEM should be tuned by a professional, but if you do it yourself, it could take a few days to a few weeks to get it running the way you like.

For many, the AEM is overkill, but it is the ultimate in adjustability if you need it.

the UTEC on the other hand is fairly easy to work with, requires very little setup to get the car running like stock (since it retains the stock ECU) and tuning is fairly easy if your capable of doing it yourself (wideband O2 sensor, and familiar with tuning)

The best way anyone will be able to answer your questions are if you tell us what your plans are for the car (Realistically!) What you consider your skill level for tuning, that will directly affect my suggestion for you.

With that said, I can tune for just about any combination with the UTEC.. but it really is going to depend on what your realistic needs are.
Old Oct 19, 2004, 06:39 AM

EMS all the way!
Old Oct 19, 2004, 01:22 PM
Evolving Member

I feel as though I've reached the point where the utec no longer suits my needs. My car is pretty heavily modified, and the turbo flows more air than the maf sensor was designed to handle. If you are a very meticulous tuner, and want exact results the first time, the ems is your best bet, if you want your car to run well, and don't mind jumping through a few hoops to get it there, the utec works great. But like Jack said, it all depends on what your plans with your car are....................
Old Oct 28, 2004, 06:23 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
At what level of mods does it make sense to go to an AEM over a UTEC? I need to be able to pass an emissions test, so I don't see myself getting cams, but I eventually plan to aim for power in the mid to upper 300 whp range on pump with a mild turbo kit and supporting mods (except cams). Is that enough to justify the expense and trouble of an AEM?
Old Nov 9, 2004, 09:52 PM
Account Disabled

EMS, you can get ride of the MAF, a VERY VERY restrictive unit that misses counts of air and is poor for big power tuning. AEM
Old Nov 10, 2004, 04:13 AM
Evolving Member

The maf will normally flow enough air to make 400-450whp, the Utec would probably be the bes bet if you are shooting for 300-400hp, and are still concerned with emissions. The AEM is not OBDII friendly, so you'd have to find a way to get through emissions.
Old Nov 10, 2004, 05:17 AM

Anyone out there have any other engine management systems they would like to comment on? I too am looking for an EMS and I have looked at everything from AEM to Apexi, I feel lost as to what each really offers. Also liberty 2000 said something about emissions, why can't you get through emissions with the AEM?
Old Nov 10, 2004, 07:27 AM
EvoM Guru

Most states have, or will require their inspection to include an OBD-II test, basically it verifies the functionality of your OBD-II port, and that there are no codes on the ECU to pass.

This is something that I think every state is required to do as part of the inspection procedure by 2005 or 2006.. At least that is what I am told.

IF it isn't already a PITA to get a car with cams and no catalytic converter to pass, now you have a computer interface to make it more difficult.

Realistically, don't expect to be able to swap back and forth between the EMS and ECU quickly unless you retain the MAF sensor.. Also, keep in mind that just swapping back means that the ECU would have to be tuned so it will pass other aspects of the inspection (Sniffer test, etc..) For me, I have to deal with yearly inspections, and wasn't a compromise I was willing to make.

People need to start having realistic expectations, most of us aren't all that interested in track times other than bragging rite, same with horsepower numbers.. and frequently once you make those numbers, you realize that the modifications you have made compromise the drivability of the car.. So take some time and give some serious thought to your ultimate goals..
Old Nov 10, 2004, 07:37 PM
Account Disabled

Just go to a Garage and pay the man for emissions, how I got my Talon going or just buy a sticker
Old Nov 11, 2004, 02:35 AM
Evolving Member

isn't that illegal???
Old Nov 11, 2004, 05:18 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by umiami80
Just go to a Garage and pay the man for emissions, how I got my Talon going or just buy a sticker
1) Thats Illegal, if your caught you and the shop can both get hefty fines and prison time (Tampering with emission tests is a pretty major offense)

2) It shouldn't be necessary to bribe someone to get a new technology fuel injected car to pass, the better the performance, the more efficient it is, the more efficient it is, the cleaner it can run if time is spent on it. Idle is a different issue and there are ways to clean up your idle emissions.

3) Even if you chose to do it "The shady way" It gets harder every year, the emission test is performed with a sniffer on a dyno (if the car can sit on a dyno to be tested) otherwise it gets an idle sniffer test, in my state the back of the car with the visible license plate and the sniffer is captured (Still digital photo) and this data is kept on file just in case the shop is investigated..

I'm sure there are many people willing to take this risk, but this approach will only work for so much longer as technology changes and improves.

There are some exemptions, converted fuel vehicles and alternative fuel vehicles may not require certain emission controls, but it also opens its own can of worms.
Old Nov 11, 2004, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by umiami80
I was going to do the same thing with my 90 AWD because it was so modded, but instead, I threw back on the stock cat and leaned out my VPC.. somehow I passed emissions, stock 145k mi block/head!
Old Nov 11, 2004, 08:32 PM
Account Disabled

I may also Move to Miami soon, No emmissions in Florida, none, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Old Sep 4, 2005, 07:15 AM

Hey guys. I know I am bring this post back from the dead, but I am one of those guys who always searches before I ask questions. In my search this is one of the posts I found.

I personally have been wondering the same thing. I have been reading both the UTEC and the EMS boards for a couple weeks now trying to get a hang of thing and decide which setup I want to go with. I noticed that the guy who initially posted this thread never put his specific goals as he was asked so you guys could give him a correct suggestion. Allow me to take over and post mine.

Here is the thing, I have no problem tuning. I know how and I find it fun. However, in the same token I know that I do not want to have to retune once every 2 weeks. I want to be able to just tune when I add a new Mod or just feel like it. Also I DO NOT want to have to go to a professional every time I need a tune. I want to be able to do it myself. From my research is seems that the obvious choice would be UTEC. However, in the same context I have some big power goals. I am also not asking is the EMS a better at making power then a UTEC. I realize that they are not that far apart in terms of power in the hands of a capable tuner. I personally am not at the level of tuning necessary to extract every drop of power from the UTEC now, but I plan to get there through practice. The thing is, in both the UTEC board and the EMS board I have continually read that the UTEC is a very limiting device. It works perfectly for your timid tuner or people who are just going to do basic mods. But for those wanting to make real power, its not a correct choice. Obviously this means that if you want a 650WHP track car then you need to go with an AMS setup. But how about if you want a 500-600WHP Street Car? Take me for example. I am not really a big track guy, but I definitely am interested in speed and power. Also I would definitely be doing serious mods to my EVO. However, all of my setup would be tuned and purchased to make the best possible street machine. Ideally I would want a 500-600WHP EVO that I could daily drive. With that goal in mind do you think the UTEC would be a limiting factor? I know one of the biggest things with the UTEC is injector size and turbo size. It just does not do well with the monsters. However, obviously for a street setup I would not get a GT35R. It would spool entirely to slowly. I would of course get a larger turbo than stock, but it would need to be one that would spool up relatively quickly. So I would not have the massive turbo size. Also I would probably try and stop at 780cc injectors since I think that should be enough to get me to my goal with SS lines and a fuel rail. Would you guys agree with the injector size?

Oh well, long story short: With a 500-600WHP daily driver in mind, would UTEC be sufficent or would you really need EMS?

Thanks a lot for all the help guys.

-Sayajin

Quick Reply: AEM vs. UTEC??? WHATS THE BEST?