Notices
AEM EMS Get tuning help for your AEM EMS system.

Unusual Error Codes when communicating with EMS (not usb adapter)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2004, 10:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Unusual Error Codes when communicating with EMS (not usb adapter)

so i popped in my EMS for the first time last night, got it all plugged in, connected with laptop, verified that Comms were good, checked TPS, coolant etc......

while connected to the EMS i closed AEMpro using the X in the corner of the window, then turned off the ignition, & disconnected the laptop & went upstairs to brush up on the firmware update procedure as my Box is still running on 1.03.

when i returned, i could not connect to the EMS anymore & would only get these errors

"Error code 1; error accessing file"
"exception caught reading emerald file"
and "bad ECU definition file"

i never attempted to upload any Gin, Fin or Cals nor did i make any changes to the EMS or Comms settings. so what could have hosed my EMS?

for refrence, i have read the 50+ page EFI basics, 250+ page EMS manual as well as the Evo8 supplement, Guage type wideband controller & V1.11 conversion notes, as well as searched the AEM forums & only found one similar case (from a galant vr4) with no solution.

i guess my course of action now is to wait til monday & contact AEM's tech support, but i figured id toss it up here to see if anyone had any input

err, forgot to add, the laptop is a 3.2 with 512 of ram & im using the rugged PCM- to serial card reccomended by AEM. so i dont think its a hardware issue on my end
Old Nov 28, 2004, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

Did you cycle the power on the car and reboot the laptop then try to connect? Very weird that it all the sudden went dead. I have had communication problems if I put my laptop into hibernation then try to connect but I have never had it just deny access due to bad files. Hopefully AEM can get you straightned out. Some times the AEMPower Forums take a few days for someone to respond, there are alot of great people on there.
Old Nov 28, 2004, 08:53 PM
Account Disabled

Try closing down and deleting all programs that may be using your com ports
Old Nov 29, 2004, 07:48 AM
Evolving Member

cycled laptop power & EMS power (also tried disconnecting battery) & i even messed with the Com port settings. no luck

guess ill give AEM a call today
Old Nov 29, 2004, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CharlieGsanD
cycled laptop power & EMS power (also tried disconnecting battery) & i even messed with the Com port settings. no luck

guess ill give AEM a call today
That will probably be your best bet, you might try using a different cable or different pc if it is possible to narrow it down to the machine , hardware or actual ECU. I hope AEM gets you straight though, diffently sounds ECU related.
Old Nov 29, 2004, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

I would download the new version off the aempower forums so you have a fresh install. Then remove any instance of aempro off your laptop and remove all programs that may be starting up. Reboot the Laptop. Then install your fresh version of AEMPRO and reboot the laptop agian. Once this is done try and do the flash agian to your ems. If you still have problems you will have no choice but to get ahold of AEM.

I just upgraded this weekened and everything went fine but i downloaded the new version off the internet just to be safe. There are also a couple of registry patches you might need depending if you download the newest version of 1.11 or not. Just my 0.02

Chris
Old Nov 29, 2004, 09:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 2k4EvoVIII
I would download the new version off the aempower forums so you have a fresh install. Then remove any instance of aempro off your laptop and remove all programs that may be starting up. Reboot the Laptop. Then install your fresh version of AEMPRO and reboot the laptop agian.
tried this as well, no luck
Old Nov 30, 2004, 11:25 PM
Evolving Member

Thumbs up

looks like it was a corrupted download due to the wireless connection to my laptop.

talked to justin @ AEM today & got it all sorted out, EMS working 100%

to AEM's tech line, while they didnt awnser the line right away (probably helping other customers) justin called back within about 15 mins & was very helpful & polite
Old Dec 1, 2004, 05:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CharlieGsanD
looks like it was a corrupted download due to the wireless connection to my laptop.

talked to justin @ AEM today & got it all sorted out, EMS working 100%

to AEM's tech line, while they didnt awnser the line right away (probably helping other customers) justin called back within about 15 mins & was very helpful & polite
Good deal, Once again AEM has the support and I think this is one of the reasons that it is chosen by several people. Glad to hear it was an easy fix.
Old Dec 1, 2004, 10:41 AM
Evolving Member

AEM Support Rocks!!!