Notices
AEM EMS Get tuning help for your AEM EMS system.

Boost control?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2005, 01:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boost control?

Is the Aem sufficient for controlling boost or do most people run a boost controller in addition to it?
Old Mar 13, 2005, 05:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I use the AEM for my boost control with the GM boost solenoid. In my opinion it has the best "raw" boost control out there, but the feedback system sucks really bad. Get the base tune for the boost control correct and you can run with the feedback turned off.

Keith
Old Mar 13, 2005, 07:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Fourdoor
I use the AEM for my boost control with the GM boost solenoid. In my opinion it has the best "raw" boost control out there, but the feedback system sucks really bad. Get the base tune for the boost control correct and you can run with the feedback turned off.

Keith
Thanks Keith. I did some reading on the AEM forum, and it seemed that was the general consensus.

Robert
Old Mar 17, 2005, 09:13 AM
Account Disabled

Feedback System? Would a MBC just be better off? Faster spoolup?
Old Mar 17, 2005, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by umiami80
Feedback System? Would a MBC just be better off? Faster spoolup?
You can't beat the spool up I have with the AEM EMS controling my boost. You may match it with a good manual controler, but you can't beat it

Keith
Old Mar 17, 2005, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

The feedback features that are available with boosting thru the AEM are RPM based boost or vehicle speed based boost. These are the most common used. You can ramp up/down boost based on a rpm level or vehicle speed. The AEM also has a high low switch for boost like on most EBC's and some MBC's. With these features you could use the boost control as an additional traction control devise along with the traction control features already built into the AEM software. Apexi's/Greddy's solenoid can also be used, and with the proper fittings and equipment you could have all your vacuum line be stainless steel with threaded fittings so you don't have to worry about a leak or a vaccum line blowing off.

Also, the 1.11 version of the software has a built in boost cut feature if a vacuum line were to blow off and no longer had control of the wastegate. There have been many discussions on the AEM forum on how to route the vaccum lines on the GM solenoid in case such a failure would occur and default the boost to wastegate pressure, but I have never found an answer thus the added boost cut feature in the new software revision cancels the need for that feature. Most people just added tons of fuel and retarded timing above the the highest load cells in there fuel and ignition maps.

Last edited by kcevo; Mar 17, 2005 at 12:02 PM.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 09:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with Keith.
If you setup the EMS with Speed dependent control, it is simple and works very well.
The feedback works very very well also if setup correctly. You have to ensure that your target boost comp table is setup correctly and there is a certain way of doing this. Involves drawing a line from the lowest boost setting teh wg allows to your target boost.
Once that's setup correctly, you can then massage the boost error duty table to ensure the control isn't too abrupt, basically on a stock turbo evo you want cut the percentage value down low for small overshoot and ramp it up later.

Remember there are 2 methods of boost control, I don't use the integral method.

All said and done, you cannot get better results with the manual controller.

Sean

Last edited by Sean I; Mar 17, 2005 at 11:22 PM.
Old Mar 18, 2005, 03:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Sean I
I agree with Keith.
If you setup the EMS with Speed dependent control, it is simple and works very well.
The feedback works very very well also if setup correctly. You have to ensure that your target boost comp table is setup correctly and there is a certain way of doing this. Involves drawing a line from the lowest boost setting teh wg allows to your target boost.
Once that's setup correctly, you can then massage the boost error duty table to ensure the control isn't too abrupt, basically on a stock turbo evo you want cut the percentage value down low for small overshoot and ramp it up later.

Remember there are 2 methods of boost control, I don't use the integral method.

All said and done, you cannot get better results with the manual controller.

Sean
The problem is that the scale of the bost comp table is dependent on what MAP sensor you are using.... you can't adjust it yourself. For me using a 5 bar MAP that means my load points on the boost comp table are almost 4 psi apart. That isn't nearly fine enough control for a feedback system. At most I want my load points .5 psi apart. As it stands the feedback loop is way too course to the tune of 1/8th as fine of control as I would want.

Later,

Keith
Old Aug 11, 2005, 08:21 PM
PPI
Former Sponsor

I tried to get one at the gm dealership (boost solenoid) and he thought i was crazy. Told him it wasn't going on a gm car and he was like i need the vin # perferrably to look up the part. Was a total pain in the ***. He said either way they would have to order it....i was totally being kool with the guy, but i couldn't get it ordered.

So, does anyone know of a vin i could use to order this thing lol...or a gm part #? seems crazy i know! Thanks, Wayne
Old Aug 11, 2005, 08:26 PM
Former Sponsor

Listen
Go to www.aempower.com
Search the forums under sensors. You will see a part # for the GM solenoid, you can also use one that perrin has available.
Hope this helps, and saves you some effort in getting what you need.

Sean
Old Aug 12, 2005, 09:51 AM
PPI
Former Sponsor

Thanx--after some searching there i found the b/c sol. and the pigtail part #'s. called up the dealership and will have them for me on Mon. I am on my way lol. I am picking up the aem ems tom. Have to install my w/r turbo and meth kit this weekend. going to be busy!