Notices
AEM EMS Get tuning help for your AEM EMS system.

Autronic vs. AEM EMS

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2005, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Autronic vs. AEM EMS

Please, preferably someone that has used both systems extensively, please give me the pros and cons of both systems and which you feel is better and exactly for what reason. Please do not make posts unless you have PERSONALLY used both systems and understand them fully.

So far it seems the AEM is somewhat flakey for certain people (Losing maps, hard to connect to with the laptop, etc, etc) and it seems overly complicated. However it does seem to have any bell and whistle that I could ever desire (Including knock control).

The Autronic unit seems MUCH more easy to use and simple. It still has pretty much every option that I could ever use but does not have any provisions for knock sensing or control. I would have more faith in myself being able to easily tune my car with the Autronic unit but I could never see knock through it from what I gather. I dont care much about knock control but I would like to be able to see it.

I have every sensor required to use the EMS or the Autronic. Both are plug and play. The Autronic unit has a self tune option for normal driving settings which everyone says is amazingly easy and accurate.

I am looking for a stand alone that I myself could tune easily and quickly for any changes I desire that would not take me three weeks to make the damned car run. So far the Autronic unit seems to be easier to use but the no knock thing worries me alot. Please let me know your ideas on both systems.
Old Jun 7, 2005, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you need advice on Autronics come and ask the question on the UK Lancer register loads of people are running this ECU successfully in the uk.
http://www.lancerregister.com

All best
Matt
Old Jun 9, 2005, 09:26 AM
Account Disabled

aem is 1,000,000 times beter imho and personal experience
Old Jun 11, 2005, 04:10 PM
Evolving Member

the search button is your friend

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=104450
Old Jun 23, 2005, 07:24 AM
Evolving Member

Post Ems

I'm using the AEM on a 3000 GT VR4 and have bought an EVO and an AEM for it. It does have all the bells and whistles, knock control being an important feature. That said, I still don't know how to use it properly and find it hard to tune; most likely due to my ignorance on automobile tuning. I have heard it said by at least one tuner that the Autronic is much easier to set up and to tune. You can buy a knock sensor; some of the wide bands available also will monitor knock and allow you to log it if I recall correctly. You can go to www.aempower.com and register for the electronics forum and see what you think.
Old Jun 27, 2005, 11:23 PM
Evolving Member

The Autronic SM4 now has knock control. One of the biggest reasons the autronic is easier to configure is that it is uses volumetric efficiency tables instead of load vs. RPM. Both units are great, and are proven. Buy whichever you understand more, or have more local support with.

Also you are no longer limited to just the Autronic wideband set-up ($1500) The Innovate LM1 will interface with the autronic.

I love my AEM, but It would be a much more difficult choice with the release of the SM4.
Old Jun 28, 2005, 07:23 AM
Evolving Member

I have the Autronic PnP. Once you understand how it works its the eaisest system to tune with because it makes the changes for you. I am using a PLX wideband and have made a resistor network that changes the ground voltage of the plx to be the same as the Autronic analyser. i retuned my car last saturday after some changes to the exhaust that made it run lean. I manually richned the base fuel map then made 4 3rd gear pulls and dataloged them. at full boost i was dead on 11.5 all the way to 5k. then it went rich. I opned the mixture table double clicked on the cells that were off the target a/f and Autronic automatically corrected them. made another pull and loged it. it was rock solid at 11.5 up to 7k. double clicked the cells after 7k made 1 more pull and i was dead on 11.5 all the way to 8k. that was done in about 10 miles of expressway..... I dont see how Easier it can get. I think the main problem is people are used to a load vs. rpm based map and freak out when they see the autronic volumetric efficency tables. up until my Evo and autronic the only tuneing tool i have ever used was a V-AFC on my integra and did little to nothing with it. but i have ahd no problems what so ever out of my autronic and it was a very easy install and the first start was just like it were on the stock ECU.

Jeremy