Notices
AEM EMS Get tuning help for your AEM EMS system.

Blown motor--opinions?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2005, 09:03 PM
AMS
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That timing is unreal, way too much advance even for C16. Who's calibration is this, by the title it looks to be a Galant VR4 belonging to a Martin M. which is crazy coincidence because I use to have Galant VR4 (never with an AEM or a calibration that would resemble the one that you posted) and I'm also a Martin M.... weird!! Anywhoo, if you need some help with tuning we'd be happy to help out at AMS...www.amsperformance.com or call the shop at 847-709-0530.

Regards,

Martin
Old Oct 19, 2005, 09:06 PM
AMS
Former Sponsor

If it's the same Vijay S. that I know of then yes, I would recommend him to for sure. He's had great sucess with his car and knows how to tune an engine correctly.

-Martin
Old Oct 20, 2005, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rraulston
There is only one person to tune your car. YOURSELF. Educate yourself and take small steps and teach yourself. Seriously, tuning isnt rocket science. You will learn what is a safe max timing on different grades of fuel and at different RPM ranges, max safe boost levels on different grades of fuel in relation to timing and AFR's. Then once you gather all this information. Learn your software and start making small changes with the goal of meeting those safe levels. NOBODY will spend the right amount of time on your car except you. (unless you can afford to pay them). I can nail a UTEC fuel map with incredable accuracy in about an hour. Ramping from 14.7 following the load of the engine to 11.4 afr on 100 octane. A year ago, i didnt even know what OBDII was. Education is POWER!!!!!
EXACTLY unless you can fully trust someone, not somone you just met then do it yourself. You will feel alot better correcting your own mistake before you correct someone elses and you will be in control. Learn it, Know it and you will find out yourself who knows what they are talking about and who doesn't. Trust me , there are more on here who don't know than you realize.

I have helped out several people who have had motors let go, and they were all clearly from the tuning performed on their cars. You will be happier with 15 less hp and one that runs daily compaired to one that runs good for only few days.
Old Oct 20, 2005, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

Great thread

Ok guys, my car was also done at cft and from what i can tell it worked pretty dang good, I attached a pic of my timing table and would appreciate comments regarding it. Some great views on this thread so no hijacking here but just wanted to also get an angle on mine...

Any of the AEM guys please feel free to give your thoughts ;-)...thank you.
Attached Thumbnails Blown motor--opinions?-timing.jpg  
Old Oct 20, 2005, 07:44 AM
AMS
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by UndieStainz
Ok guys, my car was also done at cft and from what i can tell it worked pretty dang good, I attached a pic of my timing table and would appreciate comments regarding it. Some great views on this thread so no hijacking here but just wanted to also get an angle on mine...

Any of the AEM guys please feel free to give your thoughts ;-)...thank you.

That timing map needs some work. Flat timing and running too much timing at peak torque for pump gas and not enough at high RPM's.
Old Oct 20, 2005, 07:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AMS
That timing map needs some work. Flat timing and running too much timing at peak torque for pump gas and not enough at high RPM's.
Agree
Old Oct 20, 2005, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

AMS,...which column needs some work u think, or can you expand on that a bit? Hey great job by the way on Jasons car down here from Jax ;-)...
Old Oct 20, 2005, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
But it is a hell of a lot better then the first map! I think that the guys at CFT are simply playing stupid so as not to take any responcibility. That is so, so shady and sad..
Old Oct 20, 2005, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

AMS, better yet, when can I drive up to get this thing tuned right? hehehehe...
Old Oct 20, 2005, 07:54 AM
AMS
Former Sponsor

My bad, I saved the map on my home computer and when I tried opening it up it must have opened up a default map and somehow converged it with what I had open on my EMS software at home. The download of your calibration here at the shop today is completely different than what I downloaded last night. You didn't change the calibration file since last night did you?
Still from the screen shot of your timing map 17 degrees at 20psi at peak torque on stock turbo is way too much. For some reason the map I dowloaded last night showed me 26 deg of timing across the boost area of the map.
Old Oct 20, 2005, 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AMS
My bad, I saved the map on my home computer and when I tried opening it up it must have opened up a default map and somehow converged it with what I had open on my EMS software at home. The download of your calibration here at the shop today is completely different than what I downloaded last night. You didn't change the calibration file since last night did you?
Still from the screen shot of your timing map 17 degrees at 20psi at peak torque on stock turbo is way too much. For some reason the map I dowloaded last night showed me 26 deg of timing across the boost area of the map.
You are not talking about my map are you?...no 17's but 7's at peak torque at 22.
Old Oct 20, 2005, 10:20 AM
AMS
Former Sponsor

You are not talking about my map are you?...no 17's but 7's at peak torque at 22.

Sorry, I wasn't talking about your map. Your timing does need work though, for safety reasons and possibly more power. Of course you can drive it down and we can tune it, and on our new AWD dyno none the less!

-Martin
Old Oct 20, 2005, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

It needs work
Old Oct 20, 2005, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

precision:...can you ellaborate on that and can you help me? I will fly your butt down here if need be ;-)
Old Oct 20, 2005, 06:34 PM
Evolving Member

Same as he said with the other ignition timing map. Most ignition timing is used around peak torque and it's a flat ignition map. Doesnt look like they cared to find where MBT was or spend enough time period.

Quick Reply: Blown motor--opinions?