Notices
AEM EMS Get tuning help for your AEM EMS system.

Where to begin?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2005 | 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

Where to begin?

I just got all my stuff for my EMS install. I have a PLX250 wideband, laptop, AEM EMS, all new gauges, 5 bar MAP sensor, IAT sensor, EGT sensor, all adapters and a bing welded to my downpipe approximately 24" from the o2 housing, as to leave the O2 sensor in for a duration while I learn to tune.

Aside from hiring a professional to do it and observing the procedure, where does one usually start with a tune? Obviously to get the car running, but after that? Take a log, and then shoot for the target a/f? I know plenty about how an engine should run, but would like to hear any pro's who have done this quite a bit.
Old Dec 1, 2005 | 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

Also, if anyone has a base map with a margin of safety for a mostly stock car, I'd like to give it a go or at least compare it to the regular map to check for changes and see how it works.

Ive got a helix full 3" exhaust, intercooler, intercooler piping, greddy r/s BOV, buschur air filter, helix cat and a walboro 255 pump and GSC 272 cams that have both yet to be installed. I have a wideband Im waiting on, along with new gauges and such....so any help would be appreciated.
Old Dec 1, 2005 | 08:01 PM
Evolving Member

read the aem forums until your eyes bleed...
Old Dec 4, 2005 | 01:59 PM
Evolving Member

If you've never tuned a car before, the AEM EMS isn't something I'd recommend attempting. If you're going to attempt it anyways, read the manual and a good EFI tuning book first. If you don't fully understand the manual and the book, please don't try to tune it anyways. Aside from the usual causes of engine failure, there are others that novice tuners don't know about.

Originally Posted by kf6ytc
read the aem forums until your eyes bleed...
I have to disagree. There is so much mis-information on forums including the AEM forum that it could do more harm than good. The AEM Pro manual and EFI basics PDF which come with the free AEM EMS software and a good book are great alternatives.

-Mike
Old Dec 5, 2005 | 10:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Inn-Tune
If you've never tuned a car before, the AEM EMS isn't something I'd recommend attempting. If you're going to attempt it anyways, read the manual and a good EFI tuning book first. If you don't fully understand the manual and the book, please don't try to tune it anyways. Aside from the usual causes of engine failure, there are others that novice tuners don't know about.

I have to disagree. There is so much mis-information on forums including the AEM forum that it could do more harm than good. The AEM Pro manual and EFI basics PDF which come with the free AEM EMS software and a good book are great alternatives.

-Mike
Fantastic advice, thank you. I really am quite leary about attempting it myself....and I dont think a professional tuner would welcome me taking notes above his shoulder while he does his job.

In all seriousness, if anyone has experience doing road tunes and can assure me success, along with teaching me the ropes of tuning, Id be more than happy to pay them a fair amount of compensation for their troubles. The end results isn't so much important, because I can just tske it somewhere and have it done altogether, but I want to learn...which is an obstacle with stuff like this, for me at least.

Thanks for the responses.
Old Dec 6, 2005 | 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by feldguy
Fantastic advice, thank you. I really am quite leary about attempting it myself....and I dont think a professional tuner would welcome me taking notes above his shoulder while he does his job.

In all seriousness, if anyone has experience doing road tunes and can assure me success, along with teaching me the ropes of tuning, Id be more than happy to pay them a fair amount of compensation for their troubles. The end results isn't so much important, because I can just tske it somewhere and have it done altogether, but I want to learn...which is an obstacle with stuff like this, for me at least.

Thanks for the responses.
You are looking at it the right way, I don't recommend the EMS for anyone unless they willing learn becuase things on your car will change and everyone gets better from learning and experience. To just tune a car with the EMS and leave it unmonitored or untouched is not accepting the fact that it can always get better with time and experience.

Like it has already been said, read the manual and study up on EFI and keep those things close when tuning for reference. Aempower.com is also a great source.

Next when you start to tune follow every step including setting up your breakpoints so you can get the best resolution in your cal files. Also first tune your car with the MAF in so you can always revert back to the stock ECU until you get the hang of the AEM. Its basically plug and play, keep the stock ECU with you in your car so you always have a backup until you fully trust yourself.

Always start with low ignition values and low boost, none if possible. Tune fueling first along with driveability and leave big ignition changes last. Take your time, it will take a while to get the car to make as much power as the stock ECU so don't expect too much too fast.