Notices
AEM EMS Get tuning help for your AEM EMS system.

Car doesnt start for crap, need help

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2005, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car doesnt start for crap, need help

I have 780cc PTE injectors and they are not listed on the preset options for injectors in the EMS. I guess I am wondering a few things... first of all, what exactly does this table do? It seems it sets the deadtime for the injectors based on voltage but what happens if it is not correct?

The reason I am asking is because I am running very very high fuel pressure and I THINK I am flooding the motor on startup (Especially cold starting). It is tough for me to tell exactly whats happening but I am thinking its flooding it. The other crappy thing is the car will idle once its warm but cant hold an idle while cold. It also has a problem catching the idle if I give it a decent amount of RPMs then just drop it off.

I started with the base EVO map and modified it heavily to make the car run. Once it is running and driving around I got it to be decent AFR wise but the startup still sucks and the idle at cold doesnt work at all. Im not sure if its because the injector offet is screwed or I am just adding way too much fuel at startup or both.

Oh and the big obvious reason why I am assuming it is way to rich on startup is because today the car just wouldnt fire... pop a few times but nothing else. So I decided to swap the plugs out and try again... the plugs were completely soaked in gas.

If anyone could help out it would be great. The big thing I would like to know is the injector offset and exactly what it does. The whole fuel table and tuning sooner or later i think I will get it. Just sucks being 0 degrees outside with a laptop that BARELY runs the EMS and doesnt have a battery so whenever i start the car it dies (Dont worry... I got a new one coming).
Old Dec 16, 2005, 03:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TrinaBabe
I have 780cc PTE injectors and they are not listed on the preset options for injectors in the EMS. I guess I am wondering a few things... first of all, what exactly does this table do? It seems it sets the deadtime for the injectors based on voltage but what happens if it is not correct?

The reason I am asking is because I am running very very high fuel pressure and I THINK I am flooding the motor on startup (Especially cold starting). It is tough for me to tell exactly whats happening but I am thinking its flooding it. The other crappy thing is the car will idle once its warm but cant hold an idle while cold. It also has a problem catching the idle if I give it a decent amount of RPMs then just drop it off.

I started with the base EVO map and modified it heavily to make the car run. Once it is running and driving around I got it to be decent AFR wise but the startup still sucks and the idle at cold doesnt work at all. Im not sure if its because the injector offet is screwed or I am just adding way too much fuel at startup or both.

Oh and the big obvious reason why I am assuming it is way to rich on startup is because today the car just wouldnt fire... pop a few times but nothing else. So I decided to swap the plugs out and try again... the plugs were completely soaked in gas.

If anyone could help out it would be great. The big thing I would like to know is the injector offset and exactly what it does. The whole fuel table and tuning sooner or later i think I will get it. Just sucks being 0 degrees outside with a laptop that BARELY runs the EMS and doesnt have a battery so whenever i start the car it dies (Dont worry... I got a new one coming).
That table corrects injector flow based on battery voltage. Injectors flow more or less as voltage goes up or down. Some are affected more than others...hence the tables. If your precision injectors are low impedance 75 pounders use the Precision turbo 65 poun injector wizard.

Remember that putting your injectors in this table does not scale your fueling for injector size at all. You need to do that in the main fuel table.

Running too lean or too rich at idle can foul the plugs. If you're too lean to ignite the mixture eventually fuel builds up just like as if you were rich.

If a car operates well when warm, but not when cold, adjust the warm up enrich and air temp trim tables rather than the main fuel table to get the desired effect. Cold start is another story as there are several tables which come in to play and most of them affect each other. It can be difficult for a novice tuner so don't be hard on yourself.

Good luck.

-Mike
Old Dec 16, 2005, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

Well the biggest problem is I have never used an EMS. The other problem is I had no where to start... the only thing I used any other map for was the idle motor stuff

I understand exactly what the battery offset does in theory but I dont see why it would matter that much as for as the EMS is concerned... if you set it slower than it truly could react wouldnt that ensure the vehicle would run well?

I also understand about the fouling of the plugs but it is very hard for me to figure out which it is.... What should the AFRs look like at startup and shortly thereafter. In the 14:1 range or more like 10:1 or what? When it gets warm I know the 14.7:1 is nice but before that I dont know how much is too much fuel.

The other problem is the whole 57psi ish base fuel pressure. I am thinking that by me looking at most other peoples maps where they add 50% at startup when cold is because they are using a normalish fuel pressure. Since mine is 15psi higher on larger injectors I think that adding 50% fuel is probably flooding it.

And as far as catching the idle.... I think I MIGHT know why it cant catch it... on the fuel map I made I have 0.00 fuel for the -14.69psi row. The reason I figured to do this is to make it under hard decel it would not keep spraying gas but I know figured out i think there is a different option for that (Which cuts fuel based on the decel). SO..... I think I should put some fuel in that region correct?

Sorry for all the qeustions, I truly appreciate it all!

Lastly, any suggestions to try to figure out if I am way to lean or way to rich at cold start? I dont know... maybe i should try someone elses map and just compensate the fuel table for my injectors...
Old Dec 16, 2005, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

One last question... since I already 'tuned' (LOL) the car to run on the Denso 720cc injectors battery offset... if I change it to the PTE 660s will i need to 'retune' anything... at least to make the car run
Old Dec 16, 2005, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

Oh and yet another wonderful question from the retard...

Should I be attemping to get the car to run very well AFR wise without using the 02 feedback and then once I get it dialed in pretty well than turn on the feedback just to make it consistant? Thats what I figured to do but I was also thinking to let the 02 feedback do its job and then tune based on how much it needs to correct until I get a base map to be pretty close. Otherwise, how well does the Auto AFR log work... should I try using that instead and if so, what would be good values to let it start with? Again, sorry for all the questions but I really thank you a ton!
Old Dec 16, 2005, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

trina i'm almost in the exact same boat as you i also have pte injectors and my car runs great when it's warm but cold start up it is the ****s it does exactly as you described.. i'm using the denso 720 injector scale also.. the temp here in s.l.c is about 28 degrees when i try to start mine i'm going to try a few things on the startup enrichment tables this weekend if i have any breakthroughs i will let you know... this is the only problem i'm having trouble understanding on the whole system good luck i will let you know...
Old Dec 16, 2005, 07:37 PM
Evolved Member

If you guy's post your maps I can take a look. You can zip them up and post them here, .cal files aren't supported.
Old Dec 16, 2005, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

Make sure 02 feedback doesn't interfere with the cold start by raising the coolant temp in which it engages. It's good to have the fuel map in the ballpark of where you want it to be and then let 02 feed back do the rest. If you change any injector, you will have to redo the injector battery offset through the wizard and then rescale the fuel maps using some math. I haven't had much luck with the automapping so i'd recommend clicking "follow ecu", and using the "+ and -" to adjust the fuel on the fuel map while driving around. I'd prefer someone else do the tuning while someone drives. I don't think it matters if you put fuel or not in the -14 psi range since the car won't hit that load area. Try to shoot for mid 11 afr on start up. The car needs fuel on cold start. Try to post up a cal file.
Old Dec 16, 2005, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

ok here is the .cal

Show me the light

Dont mind the very primitive fuel and timing map... need to make the car run well before i screw with the higher load maps
Attached Files
File Type: zip
muchbetter.V1.11.zip (1.9 KB, 47 views)
Old Dec 16, 2005, 08:56 PM
Evolved Member

Here ya go try this out.
Attached Files
File Type: zip
muchbetter-kcevo.V1.11.zip (2.0 KB, 44 views)
Old Dec 16, 2005, 09:31 PM
Evolving Member

I also have the PTE 780s, in reality they are rochester 756s,. Thats in the wizard
Old Dec 16, 2005, 10:28 PM
Evolved Member

I can definately explain why the car won't idle. The idle % vs target table needs to be tuned.
Old Dec 16, 2005, 10:57 PM
Evolved Member

Can you provide confirmation that the injectors are the rochesters? I just dont see why they would have the precision 660s and the bigger ones but not mine...
Old Dec 16, 2005, 11:00 PM
Evolved Member

Mind posting up your cal file just so I can compare?
Old Dec 16, 2005, 11:09 PM
Evolving Member

I think its post 14.
http://forum.aempower.com/bbs/viewto...ight=rochester

Quick Reply: Car doesnt start for crap, need help