Notices
AEM EMS Get tuning help for your AEM EMS system.

EMS boost control.....very impressed.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2006, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
EMS boost control.....very impressed.

Just a short note here as I am going to go into this further somewhere else.

I HATE ELECTRONIC BOOST CONTROLLERS. I've never liked the way any of them performed. Never saw one that was any better than a good manual controller.

Well today I was on the dyno and did a quick install of the boost selonoids we have at the shop, into the EMS.

WOW! Is all I have to say. I didn't have a starting point so I guessed. Within 5-6 pulls on the dyno I had a "perfectly" flat boost line.

I HIGHLY recommend using the AEM boost control feature if you aren't already. I am serious, this is some good stuff. I have some base settings for anyone that needs them....if you buy the seloniod and harness from us. I have them instock.

There is no reason the stock turbo won't hold a solid boost level all the way to redline using it.

I was able to hold 27-28 psi at 7200 rpm with the 20G. Pretty freaking amazed.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Jan 2, 2006, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by davidbuschur
There is no reason the stock turbo won't hold a solid boost level all the way to redline using it.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
And at what boost level do you think it would hold solid?
Old Jan 2, 2006, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

how much extra power would holding 22-23 vs 20 or so
Old Jan 2, 2006, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

Just a short note here as I am going to go into this further somewhere else.

I HATE ELECTRONIC BOOST CONTROLLERS. I've never liked the way any of them performed. Never saw one that was any better than a good manual controller.

Well today I was on the dyno and did a quick install of the boost selonoids we have at the shop, into the EMS.

WOW! Is all I have to say. I didn't have a starting point so I guessed. Within 5-6 pulls on the dyno I had a "perfectly" flat boost line.

I HIGHLY recommend using the AEM boost control feature if you aren't already. I am serious, this is some good stuff. I have some base settings for anyone that needs them....if you buy the seloniod and harness from us. I have them instock.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
HEHEHE,

Sweet my man, finally did it .
Old Jan 2, 2006, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats.. The aem controls boost very well, just curious did you use the GM solonoid or go with a larger aftermarket unit like the EBCS.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 08:49 PM

^ +1 ^
Old Jan 3, 2006, 01:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
I'd think the stock turbo on a car set up as heavily as mine would hold 22-23 easily.

Thanks again Luis for motivating me. Never thought it would work like it did.

I made no extra power up top from the extra boost. I didn't re-tune the car for the boost in that area. The timing curve that is in the car at that boost level/rpm is VERY weak. When I get more time I will re-tune the car and I'd expect to see gains of 20-30 whp.

Doug, I guess thanks is in order to you for setting Luis' up. He was telling me how flat his boost was and I just didn't believe it. I used the GM style selonoid. I had a few of those laying around from my Buicks and just threw them out! haha

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Jan 3, 2006, 06:08 AM

I'd think the stock turbo on a car set up as heavily as mine would hold 22-23 easily.
Hopefully you get to experiment with it more on a stock turbo car. I currently run ~22 PSI, dropping to ~21 PSI. (21.8 dropping to 21.0 in 3rd gear to be more presice)

However, my car is not that far from stock. K&N drop-in, 3" TBE with no cat, Greddy Profec E-01.
Old Jan 3, 2006, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks again Luis for motivating me. Never thought it would work like it did.

I made no extra power up top from the extra boost. I didn't re-tune the car for the boost in that area. The timing curve that is in the car at that boost level/rpm is VERY weak. When I get more time I will re-tune the car and I'd expect to see gains of 20-30 whp.

Doug, I guess thanks is in order to you for setting Luis' up. He was telling me how flat his boost was and I just didn't believe it. I used the GM style selonoid. I had a few of those laying around from my Buicks and just threw them out! haha

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Dave

Your welcome and i can't wait to see your new results after you post them .
Old Jan 3, 2006, 12:41 PM
Evolving Member

The EMS's built in boost control has worked great for me as well. I've used it with GM small and large solenoids and the Perrin unit. The Perrin EBCS works awesome, but it's not necessary on most setups. You shouldn't be pushing your turbo so far out of it's efficiency range that it hates hitting that boost level anyways.

-Mike
Old Jan 3, 2006, 10:09 PM

The AEM boost control works awesome, and is very flexible. It is the only boost control I use given a choice.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 10:11 PM
Evolving Member

How do I wire in th GM boost solonoid? I have one and would like to use it with my AEM EMS.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 02:18 AM

^^+1
Old Jan 11, 2006, 02:55 AM
Evolving Member

would it work on the EVO IX???
Old Jan 11, 2006, 04:02 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
I assume this is probably the last thing that you would want to do to hold boost, after adding a high pressure actuator, a tighter BOV, fixing all boost leaks, etc, because, although the electronic boost control can somewhat compensate, the turbo will have to spin faster as the EBC increases the duty cycle to compensate for mechanical boost issues, which will shorten turbo life, increase charge temps, etc.

Quick Reply: EMS boost control.....very impressed.