Notices
AEM EMS Get tuning help for your AEM EMS system.

AEM vs. Autronics

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2006, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AEM vs. Autronics

I cant decide if I want to go with AEM EM or Autronics EM. Right now I'm running a espelir 3" dp, helix delete pipe, hks ti/cf cat back, walbro 255 fuel pump, and an Apex.i intake. My soon to be mods are peakboost chargepipe kit, tial bov, helix cam gears, 272 hks cam shafts, retainers, valve springs, head studs, and a turbo upgrade - probably a gt35r. My goal is about 550whp. What EM should I go with - AEM or Autronics - pros/cons? Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 24, 2006, 09:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aem
Old Apr 24, 2006, 10:03 PM
Evolving Member

i know its a different car, but i LOVE my AEM. its cake to use,
Old Apr 24, 2006, 10:04 PM

are you located near a tuner capable of tuning an autronics ems? the aem is more widely supported in america. You'll get alot of aem users vouching for it on this forum, as several major tuning companies have proven results with it. but the autronics system in itself is definetly superior to the AEM unit. but there is no point in getting it if you dont have someone capable of making use of it, not to mention that you yourself (if you learn the software well enough) can modify AEM maps, whereas the autronics software is hard to get ahold of (believe you have to be a licensed dealer/tuner) and the software will be that much harder to learn. make an informed decision, dont listen to opinion, as everyone on this forum will have differing opinions, and some without any empirical reason.
Old Apr 25, 2006, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by vrex
are you located near a tuner capable of tuning an autronics ems? the aem is more widely supported in america. You'll get alot of aem users vouching for it on this forum, as several major tuning companies have proven results with it. but the autronics system in itself is definetly superior to the AEM unit. but there is no point in getting it if you dont have someone capable of making use of it, not to mention that you yourself (if you learn the software well enough) can modify AEM maps, whereas the autronics software is hard to get ahold of (believe you have to be a licensed dealer/tuner) and the software will be that much harder to learn. make an informed decision, dont listen to opinion, as everyone on this forum will have differing opinions, and some without any empirical reason.
Thanks a lot, makes sense. Yeah I know someone who can tune it in my area. I just don't know a lot about the system. I haven't heard much about its use.
Old Apr 25, 2006, 12:20 AM
Evolved Member

if you own a honda, AEM all the way. but unless your evo has it's own pro race team to go with it, u won't get help from AEM if u have problems. i say get these ECU's in order of price:

Autronic
GEMS
MoTeC

performance ain't cheap so try not to cut corners...
Old Apr 25, 2006, 12:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Why is the Autronic superior? I'm not disputing what you are saying, just trying to get information.
Old Apr 25, 2006, 08:42 PM

http://www.autronic.com/page_files/sm4_kit.htm

http://www.aempower.com/product_ems.asp

oof welp you asked the million dollar question . above are the links to the two systems. im gonna suppose that you are of the aem camp. I personally am not of any camp. i see each system for their ups, and try not to worry about their downs, that just means their are better systems out there. liek with suspension, you get what you pay for. motec, gems, and autronics are just at the top of the game. im gonna compare the sm4 autronics unit to the aem, though there are two autronics units below the sm4, which one could say are a better comparison. whatever, im gonna base my judgment on the sm4. i dont want to sit here and plug away the autronics system, and deface the aem unit. a standalone ems cant possibly be bad, i mean its replacing years of work that the manufacturers engineers put into developing the system on the car already. and you cant beat stock. its rock solid. it does it all perfectly. its been tuned in more conditions than any tuner could do. but theres room for an increase in power and thats what standalones do well. check out the two links, and tell me if you still think the aem unit, functionally, can keep up with the autronics. the autronics unit does what the aem unit seems to need a bunch of extra boxes to do. the AEM unit is for sure more cost effective. but so are putting taiwan made coilovers on your car. sure they get you lower, maybe they ride well, but can $800 dollar coil over compare to DMS/Ohlins/Moton? (not to say the AEM pales to that degree to the autronics unit). I feel like id get s**t on by Dave Buschur or Al, or anyone else who tunes AEM EMS, but i'd like to know their feelings on the autronics and Motec units? i mean they arent cost effective, and thats seemingly what prevents people from buying them more than anything. but if given the chance to really get down with the motec or autronics systems how do they think they would compare to AEM units? lemme know what you think after checkin those out, its a good debate, i appreciate it
Old Apr 25, 2006, 09:41 PM

bump
Old Apr 25, 2006, 11:18 PM
Evolved Member

http://www.autronic.com/page_files/sm4_kit.htm

http://www.aempower.com/product_ems.asp

oof welp you asked the million dollar question . above are the links to the two systems. im gonna suppose that you are of the aem camp. I personally am not of any camp. i see each system for their ups, and try not to worry about their downs, that just means their are better systems out there. liek with suspension, you get what you pay for. motec, gems, and autronics are just at the top of the game. im gonna compare the sm4 autronics unit to the aem, though there are two autronics units below the sm4, which one could say are a better comparison. whatever, im gonna base my judgment on the sm4. i dont want to sit here and plug away the autronics system, and deface the aem unit. a standalone ems cant possibly be bad, i mean its replacing years of work that the manufacturers engineers put into developing the system on the car already. and you cant beat stock. its rock solid. it does it all perfectly. its been tuned in more conditions than any tuner could do. but theres room for an increase in power and thats what standalones do well. check out the two links, and tell me if you still think the aem unit, functionally, can keep up with the autronics. the autronics unit does what the aem unit seems to need a bunch of extra boxes to do. the AEM unit is for sure more cost effective. but so are putting taiwan made coilovers on your car. sure they get you lower, maybe they ride well, but can $800 dollar coil over compare to DMS/Ohlins/Moton? (not to say the AEM pales to that degree to the autronics unit). I feel like id get s**t on by Dave Buschur or Al, or anyone else who tunes AEM EMS, but i'd like to know their feelings on the autronics and Motec units? i mean they arent cost effective, and thats seemingly what prevents people from buying them more than anything. but if given the chance to really get down with the motec or autronics systems how do they think they would compare to AEM units? lemme know what you think after checkin those out, its a good debate, i appreciate it
+1,000,000...
Old Apr 26, 2006, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

I think Abners car blew up on an Autronics. He had the model with NO knock controll. I have an AEM and find it EXTREEMLY complex. What i can say for sure is the AEM is intimidating. BUT it has knock controll. My point here is not that the AEM is better, its too complex IMO, but to make sure you get one with safety features. I think the Power FC is missing knock controll also........
Old Apr 26, 2006, 09:56 AM

yea thats why i was using the sm4 for comparison. it has knock control, and quite fancy knock control at that, individual cylinder knock control with either fuel enrichment, ignition retard, or a combo of the two. not to shabby
Old Apr 26, 2006, 02:30 PM

bump
Old Apr 27, 2006, 05:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
i suggest getting the aem.

i fiddled with an autronix system the other day.......it was ok, tuning the idle was a snap.

I really like the editability, logging capabiliteis, help function & configurability of the aem system, not to mention all the capabilities. It's an amazing ecu that offers more than what the general population is capable using.

I found the autronix difficult to manuever through & the naming conventions for the sub directories wasnt very intuitive for me.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 04:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
I was asked to come here and check this out. I have thousands of hours invested in using the AEM EMS. It is a passion messing with it. I have never used an Autronics unit. I did go check out the link that is posted for them and took a very quick look around. I don't see anything that stands out and makes me want to switch over. The things that the Autronic does looks like the AEM unit does too. I didn't look at pricing as I don't really care and know the AEM EMS is priced very right.

The AEM is a plug and play system. There are hundreds of shops that tune with them (although only a few that I would personally let tune MY car).

I will also be honest enough to say it has its downsides. I actually typed out a bunch of them but deleted them. I don't see any sense in putting myself in a bad situation with some of the problems that flat out **** me off with it. Let's just say the support on the site/phone leaves something to be desired sometimes and the lack of perfecting a new version BEFORE releasing it is really annoying.

I will say this though. The problems I encounter with it would be 10 times with any other unit in my opinion. The AEM is very much a true "plug and play" unit. It can be installed in an EVO in less than an hour even using speed density. I can have one running in minutes. I have hundreds of base maps for so many combinations. I think using a tuner that is very familar with YOUR type of car and has done MANY is a huge help.

I am confident there are things in the AEM EMS program that I know that either no one else does or is too lazy to do. It comes from never stopping to try and make each tune better of find new things that it does.

I am sure the Autronic and Motec units are top notch. I am also going to say I bet they aren't nearly as easy to use and the support, since there are very few tuners in the USA for either, would suck. Trying to get factory support seems to be a PITA no matter what you are doing.

One other feature of the AEM, not sure if the other units have it, is the boost fuel correct feature. What this does is let's you basically tune the car at any given boost level and then the ECU corrects from there for any other boost level. It is probably the number one thing about the unit that makes tuning extremely fast and takes away the worry of running different boost levels and not having the map right.

Just some input. I am actually waiting for Motec to release their EVO9 unit. When they do I am going to get it. Looking forward to it actually.