Notices
AEM EMS Get tuning help for your AEM EMS system.

Mabye someone can help

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2006, 11:21 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mabye someone can help

Im having two little problems with my AEM EMS I guess you could say. Well really they just annoy me so I would like to get them sorted out. When I let off the gas in decel, I get some jerkiness or stumbles I guess you could say. This is of course when I am still in gear and just letting off of the gas. The next one is when the a/c is on, and i blip the throttle in neutral, the car will rev up to about 2500 and just sit there for a second and slowly fall back down to 1000. It almost seems like the throttle is stuck, but i have done it then pulled the throttle all the way back and it made no difference. I just bought this car with the AEM installed and it was tuned by Sean Ivey.

Oh another thing, I have figured out how to do the internal datalogging, but how the hell do you do real-time logging on the laptop? I cant figure it out for the life of me.

My major mods are HKS 280 cams, fidanza cam gears, rmr turboback, rmr intercooler piping, turbo xs intercooler, and a walbro pump, and of course the AEM EMS hooked up with a map sensor.

Thanks to anyone willing to help.

EDIT: I called Sean and he was very helpful like everyone has said and he got it worked out. I guess someone had went in before and changed some things. Anyways, thanks again Sean.

Last edited by DarksideEng; Sep 17, 2006 at 10:29 AM.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

f6 is realtime datalogging for whatever parameter window is open.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 11:40 AM
Former Sponsor

So in AEMLog I hit f6 and it will only log one variable from my open window in AEMPro? Is that right?
Old Sep 11, 2006, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

It will log all of the parameters in the open parameters window.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo-L
So in AEMLog I hit f6 and it will only log one variable from my open window in AEMPro? Is that right?
before you log, hit the tuning button all the way to the right of the different map buttons. Where you can select ignition, fuel, boost, the one all the way to the right will look like a red and blue graph line. click that before you log and it gives you all the important tuning parameters.

You can also make your own template which will show you different parameters from different categories. For instance if you want to see boost comp, fuel, timing, and knock values, open the parameters from each one using the pull down menues then when you have everything on the screen how you want it, click on the templates menue and hit save. Then you can recall that configuration whenever you want.

Last edited by LetItBreath; Sep 11, 2006 at 11:46 AM.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 12:27 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by LetItBreath
before you log, hit the tuning button all the way to the right of the different map buttons. Where you can select ignition, fuel, boost, the one all the way to the right will look like a red and blue graph line. click that before you log and it gives you all the important tuning parameters.

You can also make your own template which will show you different parameters from different categories. For instance if you want to see boost comp, fuel, timing, and knock values, open the parameters from each one using the pull down menues then when you have everything on the screen how you want it, click on the templates menue and hit save. Then you can recall that configuration whenever you want.
Wow, thats really cool. Thanks for spelling it out for me . So I have to be online and connected to do logging of course right? I just tried it not connected to the ecu and F6 did nothing. I will try later and see if I can get it to work. Any help on the other problems guys? Thanks so much for the help so far.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it's not connected to the ECU, there is nothing for it to datalog.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 03:26 PM
Former Sponsor

haha, yea I figured that one out. I tried it but it can still only view 3 paramaters at a time? Also, how do I change what the x and y axis represents? All it seems to give me is time. can i log boost, afr, timing, and knock by rpm by any chance?

PS- Thanks guys for PM'ing me and offering to help with my little quirks, I sent the .cal files off.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 03:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evo-L
haha, yea I figured that one out. I tried it but it can still only view 3 paramaters at a time?
Datalog will be divided in three "windows" but various overlays can be selected within each "window".
Old Sep 12, 2006, 10:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by EVO8_PR
Datalog will be divided in three "windows" but various overlays can be selected within each "window".
Ok, thanks man. Ill check it out.
Old Sep 15, 2006, 11:06 AM
Former Sponsor

Ok, so a little update on my problem. I noticed now the throttle only "sticks" when the a/c compressor is actually on. I can turn the ac off when the gas is staying at 2500 and it will drop off right from there to my 1000 rpm idle. Are there any other ac maps other than the ac option under setup? Ive messed with all of them and they dont seem to help my problem. I will go out a little later today and get a datalog of the problem actually happening. Anyone have any more ideas? Also, thanks Chris M. for helping out so far, I will email you the logs when I get them.
Old Sep 15, 2006, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

I had the same problems until I completely retuned my ISC table. The base map curve was set way too high, and idle speed relied way too much on idle feedback. I now get solid idle at eveyr speed up to 3000 rpm with no idle feedback at all. Then turned it back on, and it runs as it should under all conditions. I also found that I needed very little AC comp to hold the idle speed. THe only way I can even tell it kicks on now is that I can hear the clutch click Spend some time on this, it is well worth it. I've only been running the EMS for a week, but everytime I think the car runs better than it did on the 2g ECU, I improve on it even further.
Old Sep 15, 2006, 12:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Where can I find the ISC Table? What did you do to your base map curve, or how much did you lower it? Where can I look at how much my idle speed relies on my idle feedback? What should I change it too? AC comp meaning how much percentage of fuel that is added in when the ac kicks on? I have mine set right now at 8%. Would you mind sharing your .cal file so I can compare my ac setting to yours? Sorry about all of the questions , its really starting to bug me. Thanks a lot for the help though!
Old Sep 15, 2006, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

To explain all of what I learned in one hour with the car in the driveway using the manual and playing with the settings would take three times longer.

But briefly, I turned off all the idle trims that will interfere with idle speed. You'll find them on the advanced idle template. Then get creative with the feedback settings to effectively disable it. IIRC, I set the adjustment range in both directions to zero. Make sure the car is warmed up and under normal operating conditions. In the regular idle template, you have your ISC percentage targets in the top table, idle target vs temp on the bottom right, and some parameters.

Set idle speed in the target vs temp table to some value, like 1000 rpm. Adjust the isc % until actual rpm is the same, or as close as you can get it. Mine will cycle around it by about +- 25 rpm. Then raise the target rpm to 1100, and adjust the % for that. And continue on as far up and down from there as you want to go. I did from 800 to 2500 and just guessed based on shape of the curve above and below that.

Keep in mind that there are other things in the EMS that may interfere with this process that I may have left out, and there are things on the car that will also affect this process (vac leaks, BISS position, FIAV position, etc). AFR and timing should make sense, etc. It really is up to you to just invest the time in the car with the software running and the manual PDF open.

I'm also searching the EMS forums as we speak researching a theory I have about using FIAVs with this system, and came across a lot of posting that backs up my thoughts on how to set up idle properly, check it out for yourself.

Enjoy.
Old Sep 15, 2006, 02:06 PM
Former Sponsor

Thanks a lot for explaining that to me, when I get back home, I will play with the settings you mentioned. I hope it works out as well for me as it did you. Ill report back.

Quick Reply: Mabye someone can help