Notices
AEM EMS Get tuning help for your AEM EMS system.

knock volts when to worry?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2006, 03:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
knock volts when to worry?

thanks to a few guys on here i finally learned how to log different things one of which was knock. from what i see i have a very low amount of knock but , looking for a little general consensus. the highest knock volts i seen was 2.48 volts of knock what about that ? when do i get worried and need to address something. dave buschur had tuned my aem and has me set up for knock control. but i am seeking some advice some input would be greatly appreciated oh and that was just at one point seemed like when i had achieved max boost on spoolup
Old Nov 10, 2006, 04:28 PM
Evolving Member

id say start getting worried at 2.5.. but im a puss.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

as long as ur ks is calibrated properly.... anything over 3 volts is worrysome. set your safeguards accordingly
Old Nov 10, 2006, 09:24 PM
Evolving Member

There are a lot of variables involved, I suggest you set up your knock table according to the manual.
Old Dec 4, 2006, 10:27 AM
Evolving Member

mine is set to 2.5 peak. but with proper tune, it doesn't ever go over 1.5 for me.

seems like all evo's peak at around 5500~6200rpm for some odd reason. some sort of engine noise that causes the knock to peak....
Old Dec 4, 2006, 12:29 PM

Log the knock voltage on a pull with conservative ignition timing, this will give you an idea of the standard "noise" of the engine. Then I would use the standard noise as a baseline curve for your knock sensor cal table (setup->sensors->knock sensor->knock control), and turn your knock control on.
You can then begin to increase your timing and log the knock feedback, if you are experiencing any feedback this means that you are probably too aggresive for pump gas and should pull timing out at that point.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

thanks for the input guys
Old Dec 10, 2006, 02:47 PM

Does anyone have a properly calibrated Knock sensor setting, so we can all have an idea of where we should be????
Old Dec 13, 2006, 08:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Talonmotosports
Does anyone have a properly calibrated Knock sensor setting, so we can all have an idea of where we should be????
I'm not trying to be an ***, but seriously read the manual. It tells you exactly how to setup it up for your particular setup. No two engines will be exactly the same, and it's best to tailor the threshold to your setup.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Ackerson
I'm not trying to be an ***, but seriously read the manual. It tells you exactly how to setup it up for your particular setup. No two engines will be exactly the same, and it's best to tailor the threshold to your setup.
Note i said "Give us an IDEA..." Simply stating that if we try and we are way off, a major difference in charts should show that there is something wrong. (maybe we weren't conservative with the timing enough? Maybe our knock sensor is not working properly? Maybe, maybe maybe) I know that no two engines are the same. The point is that if there is something to compare it to, then a lot less people whold have incorrectly set up knock sensors.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

Mine is set at 2.1V or lower throughout the graph. Obviously it is lower in the low rpm range. It's hard to describe, but it kind of follows the torque curve with a peak at 2.1V.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 07:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Talonmotosports
Note i said "Give us an IDEA..." Simply stating that if we try and we are way off, a major difference in charts should show that there is something wrong. (maybe we weren't conservative with the timing enough? Maybe our knock sensor is not working properly? Maybe, maybe maybe) I know that no two engines are the same. The point is that if there is something to compare it to, then a lot less people whold have incorrectly set up knock sensors.
You obviously don't understand how the knock detection system works. You can have two identical cars and have completely different table's. Follow the instructions or pay the consequences.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 07:37 PM
Evolved Member

hey when u log for knock which paremeter should i use? knock #1? or knock #1 volts? or do they display the same data?
Old Jan 30, 2007, 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

another question ? the knock that i am getting only shows up after a shift to next gear and as boost starts to build, i get it around 12-16psi not always the same boost level but i had seen it as low as 12psi and as high as 16 psi. just in 1 spot i might get 3.5v my threshold is at 2.5v. but once boost gets past that point i get virtually zero knock all 2.5 and under. if i do a log of say 3rd gear starting at 2500 rpm wot pull all the way out i never get this knock voltage at all ! only happens after shift in a very small window and is then gone once spoolup is full
Old Jan 30, 2007, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by steelcityevo8
hey when u log for knock which paremeter should i use? knock #1? or knock #1 volts? or do they display the same data?
I use knock#1 AND knock#1 raw.

knock#1 should be a flat line at 0 throughout the pull, but it may pop up if the ems sees knock. The knock#1 will tell you if AEM thinks it was knock based on your threshold settings.

knock#1raw will be very jagged with sharp spikes and will gradually rise during the pull. By looking at the raw values, you can see if there is a spike, or if it is a gradual progression of noise as the rpms increase.

Quick Reply: knock volts when to worry?