Notices
AEM EMS Get tuning help for your AEM EMS system.

AEM Certification Program

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2007, 06:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how would you go about taking the course?
Old May 25, 2007, 07:41 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm in two industries that heavily judge people by the "certifications" and "Training" that these courses offer.

In reality, the certificate given is misinterpreted as "Certified" as both words are derived from the same place... GO figure..

Anyway, I see this all the time, both with tuners and in the computer world, there are hundreds of so-called trained/certified professionals out there who couldn't fix/program/tune a damned thing, lacked any sort of common sense or ability. And there are quite a few home-brew who can tune/program/fix circles around any of these so-called certified professionals.

USE YOUR JUDGEMENT AND THEIR PREVIOUS CUSTOMERS RECOMMENDATIONS as a judge of their abilities. Having information spoon-fed to you, and then getting a certificate in the end, even after passing a so-called difficult test is ***MEANINGLESS***

You have no idea how many MCSE, MCSP (Microsoft certification), CNE,CNA (Novell), CCNE, CCNA (Cisco) who should not be allowed anywhere NEAR The hardware their certified to work with.. I've seen retarded monkeys with more ability and talent than many of these trained professionals.

Buyer beware..

FWIW there are very few standalone manufacturers who offer any sort of hardcore certifications. Motec is one, there are a few others.

EFI101 and the other more advanced tuning classes are a great education, but not specific to any particular hardware, its great because it teaches technique and thought process, irregardless of the engine or management. Understanding engine theory and the process behind doing it properly is what you want your tuner to understand. The tools are secondary.

Many "certification" programs are not certifications at all, they are a way to buy into the higher level products that these companies offer. HKS or ApexI tuners for example.. You have to sell enough product to qualify for being able to buy the software. Then they double-whammy you by selling you this rediculous training for another few thousand over the software. When its just a training course for the product. All it really does is create an exclusive market so anyone cannot buy into it. It makes no claims to the tuner's abilities.

Last edited by MalibuJack; May 25, 2007 at 07:44 AM.
Old May 25, 2007, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MJ said it right...

Hell, I'm certified by the FCC to be a General Radio operator and repairer and to work on ship radars. I also hold a certified electronics technician license... now do i think i should be trusted to do all that is supposedly required to hold such a certification ? hell no, but i know better and dont claim to.... so i guess that puts me in front of the so called aem master tuners lol. My point is, to get a certification is pretty easy, basically study the test, pass the test and brain dump and maybe pick up enough knowledge to be dangerous.