Notices
AEM EMS Get tuning help for your AEM EMS system.

Do you Like Your AEM EMS???

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2007, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Do you Like Your AEM EMS???

Hi there i was wondering how everyone likes there ems for the 8 and 9. i am looking for pros and cons, i been using ecuflash for a while now and it great but looking for something that allows for real time tuning and the EMS was on my list for stand alone, So any help please
Old May 8, 2007, 09:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
+1 for pros and cons. I've heard on some Evos after installing the EMS that it takes longer for the car to start is this true?
Old May 8, 2007, 09:12 AM
Evolving Member

yea it has to turn over a few more times before the car will start, so only a couple seconds out of your time. but it does kinda make your car sound like a piece of **** at first when people think you're not gonna get it to start lol
Old May 8, 2007, 09:17 AM
Evolving Member

^+1 my car sounds like a pos 2
Old May 8, 2007, 02:17 PM
Evolving Member

I am worried about being able to diagnose engine problems if I put in the EMS bc the OBD port cannot be used anymore. Is the EMS still give all the readings that OBD does but just the laptop that you have to connect to it?
Old May 8, 2007, 02:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by LancerEVOmann
+1 for pros and cons. I've heard on some Evos after installing the EMS that it takes longer for the car to start is this true?
I think it's becasue the EMS primes the fuel system before cranking the engine up, thus the longer "starting" time.

One more thing i need to add: Make sure you find a tuner really know what he's doing (i.e. Scot Gray of RRE). My buddy has a really ****ty tune on his VIII and the car is bucking big time at slow speed with partical throttle. Of course, I refered him to Scot and he's happy now.
Old May 8, 2007, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes with the EMS your car will run well if the tuner is good and experienced.

Many factors go into setting it up that it gets mind boggling, but on my free time I have been studying out all of the features etc, there are things that I understand and still a lot of things that i dont understand on it. But overall its pretty easy to navigate
Old May 8, 2007, 02:59 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
From what I understand of the AEM, the starting problems are because the EMS does not know which cylinder is where in the firing order...so it needs to sync up with the crank angle sensor...hence the false starts.
Old May 8, 2007, 03:11 PM

I have the AEM and yes it takes a little longer to start but the advantage I see is the ability to download my different maps whether race or pump gas. I had Mark at turbo trix tune my car and it drives like stock.
Old May 8, 2007, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by T-Rex
I have the AEM and yes it takes a little longer to start but the advantage I see is the ability to download my different maps whether race or pump gas. I had Mark at turbo trix tune my car and it drives like stock.
Hey T-Rex I'm sending ya a PM.
Old May 10, 2007, 11:08 AM
Evolving Member

i couldnt be happier with mine, it is a really awesome tool if you know what your doing & it meets your needs. when properly set up drivability, idle & performance are better than stock.

as for the starting time issue, the AEM does take slightly longer then an OEM ecu to start due to how the 4g63 measures timing on the cam/crank & the AEM's way of handling/sync'ing those signals. although when properly set up cranking time is so minimal it is hardly noticable. the majority of starting issues we hear about are due to poor tuning
Old May 16, 2007, 05:44 PM

Big improvement in idle if you have any aftermarket cams - with proper tuning of course
Old May 23, 2007, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LancerEVOmann
hell yea... the best way to kill the longer starts is turn the key to the on position, and wait 10 seconds.... then i pump my gas pedal and she starts after about 5 or 6 cranks... thats the only down fall... other than that, I love the EMS and its a great way to go if you want to tune your own car! The 3D maps and the features for the EMS tuning is pretty cool too.
Old May 23, 2007, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

I just wish the AEM EMS was OBD2 compliant so that I wouldnt have to rip it out and go back to stock each year when emissions ans safety inspection is due....
Old May 23, 2007, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

i never tried to hook up my reader... what happens when you try to hook it up to your EMS?

Quick Reply: Do you Like Your AEM EMS???