Notices
AEM EMS Get tuning help for your AEM EMS system.

Tuning E85?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2008, 04:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tuning E85?

I know this is an ongoing question. I have read several threads but I dont want to make sense of 100 different statements. I just want some yes's, no's, and some advice. I see that a 30% increase is recommended.
Should I just highlight my whole fuel map and do a percent change of 130?
Then tune my boosted areas a bit richer?
Do I need to go into my 02 sensor feedback and lean up the target map?
Can I get a rough idea on the a/r's i should see at different loads/rpms?
Thank you
Brad Russell
Old Aug 4, 2008, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
EDIT: nevermind I did not realize you were running AEM..
I just changed my global injector scaling to reflect around 30% and then kept my eye on the trims for a few hours worth of driving making changes accordingly to the scaling (since my latencies were already OK for gasoline the same should be said for E85)..If you just change your fuel maps then you have to go back ond do closed loop operation as well since it will not have any effect on that..Really a better idea to use the injector scaling..
AFR numbers you are looking for depends if you are reading with a gasoline wideband or not..
Originally Posted by blackevolution8
I know this is an ongoing question. I have read several threads but I dont want to make sense of 100 different statements. I just want some yes's, no's, and some advice. I see that a 30% increase is recommended.
Should I just highlight my whole fuel map and do a percent change of 130?
Then tune my boosted areas a bit richer?
Do I need to go into my 02 sensor feedback and lean up the target map?
Can I get a rough idea on the a/r's i should see at different loads/rpms?
Thank you
Brad Russell

Last edited by PeteyTurbo; Aug 4, 2008 at 04:55 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 01:41 PM
Evolving Member

As far as AFR's most people tune using a wideband that is set up for gasoline afr's so just tune it based on that. This means your goals are going to be around 14.7 for idle/cruising under low load and 11.0-11.5 under WOT. Highlighting the whole map and changing it by 130 will be a good start but you will need to fine tune from there base on the afr's you are looking for. Also with E-85 you'll be able to pull some timing since the octane equivalent of E-85 is around 100 (Give or take). Good luck with the switchover. I'll be doing this soon (as soon as I get larger injectors).
Old Aug 23, 2008, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

20% actually is actually closer than 30%.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 10:22 AM
Evolving Member

Does the wideband on the EMS change when the fuel is changed? As soon as I added e85, added 30% fuel and fired the car up, the gauge read real rich but after idling for a few minutes it started increasing.
Does anyone use any innovate products with their EMS? Im looking at an LC-1 so I can tune straight lambda. I see it has a seperate program i can install on my laptop but it will be difficult to read that LC-1 program and the EMS at the same time. Any thoughts from anyone?
Old Aug 2, 2009, 09:20 AM

No...well at least most of them do not unless you tell them to. It will display gasoline AFR's. I use the LC-1 and the LM-1 (when I am tuning customers cars) The widebands read lambda and multiply it by the multiplier for the fuel you have selected. So if you still have gasoline selected it will display in gasoline air fuels. The LC-1 will incoporate into quite a few different tuning programs.

I generally just tune in gasoline AFR's as it is easier for me to keep straight in my head, lol. When tuning E85 on the wrx I always shot for around 11.8-12.0 at WOT. That tended to give me the best results. On gasoline I shot for 11.0

What probably caused the "real rich" condition at start up was the start up logic. The ECU is programmed to add in additional fuel at start up. When you switch over to E85 it is still injecting that additional fuel. That tends to be the toughest part to get right with E85.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 10:36 AM
Evolving Member

Now that the weather has gotten colder here in Michigan (below 70) im now having more trouble getting the car to start. Its giving me the usual long crank time that the AEM does here and there but it will take me nearly 5-6 times before it wants to fire. After it starts, it idles rough and stalles a couple times.

Ive messed with the crank advace, ive lowered and raised the fuel enrichment (hoping one direction would help) and even raised the rpm to see if it would stay running after it did fire. None of my combinations have worked yet. I know it has to be somewhere around the lines of enrichment and start up. After it runs reaches operating temp, it starts up no problem.

Does anyone have a start up and idle table they've perfected for cold starts and can help me out with some ideas? Thank you.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 10:40 AM
Evolving Member

I actually just found another post on my issue. Sorry for not checking first. If anyone still has ideas theyve tried im interested in hearing them.