Notices
AEM EMS Get tuning help for your AEM EMS system.

A series of questions re: AEM EMS

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2008, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A series of questions re: AEM EMS

I have a few questions about the AEM EMS that I was hoping could be answered here..

1) Can you connect the laptop to the EMS while the car is running? (I ran a Hydra before, and you could connect (i.e. go on-line) with the laptop to the EMS while the engine was running, and it would continue running just fine while this is happening)

2) Can you download the map back to the EMS while the engine is running? (Again, back with the Hydra, you could download the map back onto the EMS while the engine was running, and it would automatically shut off the engine as soon as you hit the send button). Not sure how the AEM reacts to this.

3) Why is it that when looking at the table of parameters while logging this evening, the slide graphs for all of the parameters all show up in white instead of the usual red? I also noticed that I don't seem to have live control either.. This all started tonight it seems.. I also noticed that when I clicked on the button on the fuel map to make it follow the squares, it wouldn't do anything...Rather odd.

I tried reloading the firmware and map, and no dice.. same deal.

4) My AC control is odd also in that it kicks in briefly the first time using it after downloading a new map on the car, and then after 3-4 secs of the AC compressor working, it stops working completely, not working again until I download a new map onto the EMS. Never happened before until today. Not sure whether it is the usual corruption taking place here... Everything about the calibration is setup to let the AC work, and it worked just fine until I changed my map to a valet version when I took it in for an alignment 2 days ago.

Again, download a new map onto car, ac runs for 3-4 secs and stops running... until I download a new map onto the car again, and it works for another 3-4 secs.. then quits completely again. And I see on AEMPRO that the comrpessor has shut off.

Seems that "corrupt" is the AEM EMS' middle name...

Laptop is an IBM T23 with a proper serial port on the back. No adapters here..

My next task will be to change to the latest version on the laptop and try copying all the current map settings onto the AEM basemap to see if that helps...

If there are any other suggestions, I'm all ears.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 06:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Femi
I have a few questions about the AEM EMS that I was hoping could be answered here..

1) Can you connect the laptop to the EMS while the car is running? (I ran a Hydra before, and you could connect (i.e. go on-line) with the laptop to the EMS while the engine was running, and it would continue running just fine while this is happening)
Yes

2) Can you download the map back to the EMS while the engine is running? (Again, back with the Hydra, you could download the map back onto the EMS while the engine was running, and it would automatically shut off the engine as soon as you hit the send button). Not sure how the AEM reacts to this.
You can download the calibration from the AEM EMS to your laptop while the car is running. You can upload the calibration from your laptop to the AEM EMS while the car is off but the key is on. Make sense?

3) Why is it that when looking at the table of parameters while logging this evening, the slide graphs for all of the parameters all show up in white instead of the usual red? I also noticed that I don't seem to have live control either.. This all started tonight it seems.. I also noticed that when I clicked on the button on the fuel map to make it follow the squares, it wouldn't do anything...Rather odd.

I tried reloading the firmware and map, and no dice.. same deal.
Red is only used if the parameter has reached high limit. Unlock your parameter box, right click each parameter and set the high limit. It does have "live control". Always has. Stick with it for longer and you will figure it out. A lot better than Hydra imo

4) My AC control is odd also in that it kicks in briefly the first time using it after downloading a new map on the car, and then after 3-4 secs of the AC compressor working, it stops working completely, not working again until I download a new map onto the EMS. Never happened before until today. Not sure whether it is the usual corruption taking place here... Everything about the calibration is setup to let the AC work, and it worked just fine until I changed my map to a valet version when I took it in for an alignment 2 days ago.

Again, download a new map onto car, ac runs for 3-4 secs and stops running... until I download a new map onto the car again, and it works for another 3-4 secs.. then quits completely again. And I see on AEMPRO that the comrpessor has shut off.

Seems that "corrupt" is the AEM EMS' middle name...
Not quite sure about this one. I would have to be with the car. The AEM EMS got its middle name from Hydras first name "bastard"
Old Dec 24, 2008, 08:03 AM

Thanks Alpha! Very helpful as always.

Have you also noticed that the "compare" feature on the AEM Pro does not actually catch all the differences between 2 maps? I ran the feature to transfer the data off a tuned map that was based off a corrupt basemap (The IAC wouldn't work at all),onto a new basemap based on AEM's startup CAL, and noticed that although AEM Pro said the maps were identical, the car wouldn't run on the new map at all...

Sure enough, the idle motor settings were all different..

Is there something that one can do to actually ensure that all data from one map is actually copied over to a second map?

ahh... aem..
Old Dec 29, 2008, 08:11 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks Alpha! Very helpful as always.

Have you also noticed that the "compare" feature on the AEM Pro does not actually catch all the differences between 2 maps? I ran the feature to transfer the data off a tuned map that was based off a corrupt basemap (The IAC wouldn't work at all),onto a new basemap based on AEM's startup CAL, and noticed that although AEM Pro said the maps were identical, the car wouldn't run on the new map at all...

Sure enough, the idle motor settings were all different..

Is there something that one can do to actually ensure that all data from one map is actually copied over to a second map?

ahh... aem..
Are the maps for the same firmware versions?
Old Dec 29, 2008, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by SwiftEVO
Are the maps for the same firmware versions?
Oh yeh... Same firmware versions and everything. That compare feature definitely misses a few things...