Notices
AEM EMS Get tuning help for your AEM EMS system.

Boost control..what is current?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2009 | 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

Boost control..what is current?

Right now I am running the stock boost control solenoid. I peak around 20-21 (depending on the gear) and it tapers to 15 consistently.

What is currently the best setup for the AEM EMS?
Old Jan 11, 2009 | 11:00 PM
Former Sponsor

in order for me to make the oem solenoid work ok, i had to insert a 1mm jet between the compressor housing & the "T" within the oem hose set-up.

i can send you my maps & settings that i used...it will all need to be tweaked, as your w/g preload is different then mine, along with a dozen other items.

the oem solenoid is ok, but you will gain consistant boost with a gm 3 port.

hey, the oem solenoid is free & it works.
Old Jan 12, 2009 | 07:04 AM
Evolved Member

the oem is still better than using a MBC right?
Old Jan 12, 2009 | 09:18 AM
Evolving Member

I have the AEM Boost Solenoid and even @ 90% duty cycle I can't get more than 33-34psi peak and 32-33psi sustained
Old Jan 12, 2009 | 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

In the software for boost control...you are looking at duty cycle for the boost solenoid. This controls the wastegate closing. If I am wrong anywhere, someone please correct me.

Does the duty cycle need to ramp up on the map? What is safe for the stock BCS?
Old Jan 12, 2009 | 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO8_PR
I have the AEM Boost Solenoid and even @ 90% duty cycle I can't get more than 33-34psi peak and 32-33psi sustained
What wastegate setup do you have? Tial? What the base spring rate??
Old Jan 13, 2009 | 11:00 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by althemean
Does the duty cycle need to ramp up on the map? What is safe for the stock BCS?
you need to see what your turbo set-up requires.....depends on your boost level target, w/g preload, etc.

i prefer to have the duty map set up to where a higher number = more boost. this is easily configured by having "boost w/g invert" checked or not.

boost w/g output = yes

boost load = no

boost w/g invert = depends on wiring

boost w/g freq = 31hz

boost idle pw tps 25

boost duty max 90%
boost duty min 10%

fuel cut load = what ever you want it at

i suggest starting with a flat 20% boost w/g base duty map. do a 3rd gear pull....if boost ramps up above whats safe, get off the gas then change your boost w/g invert setting.

if boost is low, complete the pull. make the same map a flat 40%, note boost level. if everything is still safe, your getting more boost, then try a flat 60%....see your results in logged data. modify your map accordingly.

i use a boost target vs tps map. in order to see your target boost map in logged data, "boost fb" must be flagged on, then mae the limits 0.39 & -0.39. this allows you to see logged boost target in data. for now boost error maps, boost wg inp should be flat for now...

you can flag on "boost fb on error" if you want, as long as the able is flat....i prefer this boost control method vs having the system in complete feedback....in some situations live feedback was good, other times it wasnt.....

your call. first you need to develope a w/g duty map to geet you close to your desired boost profile by doing the arbitrary pulls utilizing flat duty maps....this will also teach you the sensitivity of the duty map relative to boost change @ various rpms.....

I found the best performance from the oem ebc needs to run a 0.040" jet before the "T" within the oem boost lines. this jet lives between the compressor housing & the "T". i left in the other oem lines, jets.....

have fun.
Old Jan 15, 2009 | 08:25 AM

If you guys are at max dc on the solenoid and are having trouble running higher boost pressures you may need to go to a stiffer spring in the wg. If that's not an option you may need to run a c02 setup and that will for sure keep the wg closed.

aby is spot on with the reccommended boost control tuning. This is the same method we use with mustangs with good results.
Old Jan 19, 2009 | 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

The W/G DC is at 89.4%.

There is a boost log from a dyno run in the "dyno tuning" section. I'm thinking of getting the GM BCS. I am not happy with the taper I get. 15 psi at the end of the run is holding the car back. It is the VIII turbo though... I know people get better results than what I am seeing at the moment.

I may hold off on all this for a while. From what I see in the dyno section most people with comparable mods are running a large FMIC and the LICP minimum (both items I do not have) I think I should start with the LICP and make the changes after that.

Thanks Aby. Your post helps alot. I really dont know jack about tuning other than what should be done. I need to learn the software.
Old Jan 19, 2009 | 03:38 PM
Evolved Member

Currently here is the settings

Boost w/g output yes

Boost load no

Boost w/g invert no

Freq 31hz

Boost idle PW TPS 25

Boost max 99.61

Boost min 0.00

Fuel cut 21.93

What does the .040 jet do? Make a smoother input? Your talking a motorcycle carb jet (dumb question but I have to ask)
Old Jan 20, 2009 | 03:52 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by althemean
What does the .040 jet do? Make a smoother input? Your talking a motorcycle carb jet (dumb question but I have to ask)
im not sure....i think without the 0.040" motorcyce jet , boost pressure over powers the oem ebc.... i dont use or need a jet with my gm 3 port ebc.

all what i know is that i tried running various jets & the 0.040 unit worked well for me.

i was able to run ~22 psi @ 7,500 using my tme e8 turbo.
Old Jan 20, 2009 | 05:07 PM
Evolved Member

sweet. I will have to give this a try. 15psi taper. I mean come on. Even as a noob I knew that was horse poop.
Old Jan 20, 2009 | 09:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVO8_PR
Originally Posted by awdboosted
What wastegate setup do you have? Tial? What the base spring rate??
Tial 44mm with the following springs ,a large red(10.15psi) and a small green(5.80psi) for a combined spring rate of 15.95psi
I do have a 2.5" o2 housing. Could it be adding enough backpressure to force the pressure inside the exhaust manifold to overcome the valve on the wastegate?
Old Jan 27, 2009 | 08:34 PM

even if you crank up the duty cycle on the solenoid doesnt mean the turbo will hold boost you have other variables to look at too
Old Jan 28, 2009 | 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

fully aware of that...one thing at a time.

Quick Reply: Boost control..what is current?