Notices
AEM EMS Get tuning help for your AEM EMS system.

How to setup NLS

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2009, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by evil_eagle
Yup, that is exactly correct, 2step settings are setup for anything below 10mph, 2step shuts off anything above 10mph. Then the NLTS takes over for the shifting part using the settings I posted above.

So essentially you have 3 rev limits
1-2step using the AEM configured 2step settings running off of VSS (launch control) Mine is set at 5800rpm for launching.

2-NLTS using the AEM configured rally anti-lag feature with the settings posted above (mine is set to cut fuel at 6800rpm off the top clutch switch)

3-your main rev limiter for your top end rev limit, since I'm on stock valve springs I have my top rev limiter set to 8200rpm
when you say it is set to cut fuel at 6800rpm, does that mean that at anytime after 6800 if you press down on the clutch and you are at full throttle it will cut the fuel? I hope that's how it works, if not, can you clarify more?
Old Mar 17, 2009, 07:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caLi4G63
when you say it is set to cut fuel at 6800rpm, does that mean that at anytime after 6800 if you press down on the clutch and you are at full throttle it will cut the fuel? I hope that's how it works, if not, can you clarify more?

Yes that is how it works, any time over 6800rpm (according to my settings) it will only cut fuel when the clutch is pressed in, if you don't press the clutch in you can rev it as high as your top rev limiter will let you, it will only cut fuel when the clutch is pressed in and your above 6800rpm, but you can adjust what ever RPM you desire for it to cut the fuel. 6800rpm seems to work well with my setup when shifting at 7500-7700rpm.

To sum it up the best I can let's make an example.

I'm at a stop light then take off, I go to lay into it WOT and take it to 7500rpm. I keep my foot planted to the floor on the gas pedal and press the clutch to shift without letting off the gas, the car then shuts fuel off during the time I press the clutch in (the top clutch switch) to keep the car from over revving between shifts. I get back into 2nd gear and let the clutch go (comes back onto the top clutch switch) and it takes off, repeat for each gear.

The video I posted on page one you can hear what it does. It sounds smooth and doesn't hit any type of rev limit. If I shifted slow enough then you would hear a "ding ding ding" out of the exhaust note, sounds funny I know lol

here is the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTMxGQPB_8w

Notice in the video you don't hear the BOV till I let off in 3rd gear

Last edited by evil_eagle; Mar 17, 2009 at 08:05 PM.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

great! thanks for the helpful comments. I will be trying this out soon!
Old Mar 17, 2009, 08:48 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
This is how i have mine set-up as well.

works very good....makes city hustling fun.

my 2 step is set much lower than my nlts rpm

i have my throttle threshold a bit lower than yours, 6k @ 55% & above...just my preference...

being that we dont see software construction notes, i set-up ALL of my rpm limits = my rev limit....

i dont know if the main rev limiter superceeds all other additional limiters = anti lag, 2 step, etc......having a 10k or 12k ign cut / fuel cut setting scares me a bit.......i'm a ****...because if your in anti-lag, does that just bump up the rev limiter?

Last edited by Aby@MIL.SPEC; Mar 17, 2009 at 08:54 PM.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 09:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Aby@MIL.SPEC

i have my throttle threshold a bit lower than yours, 6k @ 55% & above...just my preference...

being that we dont see software construction notes, i set-up ALL of my rpm limits = my rev limit....

i dont know if the main rev limiter superceeds all other additional limiters = anti lag, 2 step, etc......having a 10k or 12k ign cut / fuel cut setting scares me a bit.......i'm a ****...because if your in anti-lag, does that just bump up the rev limiter?

The ingition cut at 12k in the rally antilag will never be touched as so long you have your "main revlimiter" setup lower then that.

So let's just say your rally anti-lag is set up to cut fuel at 6800rpm and the rally anti-lag ignition cut is at 12k
But your "main revlimiter" is set at 8000rpm. You will never exceed the 8000rpm rev limiter. Look at the "main revlimiter" as your "master revlimiter" Your RPM will never exceed that number. Hope that makes sense.

The only reason I put the anti-lag ignition rev limit so high is to ensure I don't hit any type of ignition cut during a NLTS pass. I suppose you can put the rally anti-lag ignition rev limit to the same as your main rev limiter is set at. So say your main rev limiter is set to 8000rpm, Put your anti-lag ignition cut to 8000rpm. Either way it doesn't matter cause you will never exceed the main rev limiter.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 09:11 PM
Evolving Member

If anyone would like to see a video of my car from an outside view with NLTS to get an idea how it sounds feel free to PM me for the link as I can't post it here according to the rules of the site.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 09:51 PM
Former Sponsor

^ I hear what your saying & it makes total sense, with what you say & as intuitive as it should be by the names of the parameters, however, i dont know for certain, when your in 1 mode, does the main rev limiter have priority?

yeah, one should never exceed their predetermined designated partial rev limit, but i have experienced other software choke at times....i just dont want to learn the hardway on my own engine!
Old Mar 17, 2009, 09:54 PM
Evolving Member

^ I hear what your saying & it makes total sense, with what you say & as intuitive as it should be by the names of the parameters, however, i dont know for certain, when your in 1 mode, does the main rev limiter have priority?

yeah, one should never exceed their predetermined designated partial rev limit, but i have experienced other software choke at times....i just dont want to learn the hardway on my own engine!

The main rev limiter has priority over all rev limits. Like I stated before, look at it as a "master rev limiter" And your right, I geuss I should have told everyone to put there rally anti-lag ignition cut as the same as there main rev limiter.
for example, main rev limiter set to 8000rpm, you would want to put the rally anti-lag ignition cut to 8000rpm. This is for precaution and nothing more.

Last edited by evil_eagle; Mar 17, 2009 at 09:58 PM.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

Aby, are you running a wire from your clutch switch to an input on the EMS? If so, do you remember which input you used off the top of your head?
Old Mar 18, 2009, 06:35 PM
Former Sponsor

^ yes, from the top switch...it's a pain to see it.

switch 4/on
Old Jun 6, 2009, 02:37 PM

Nice info Jake... If you ever come down to Utah look me up, I need some of your "jmtuning" Tricks!

-gavin
Old May 9, 2010, 04:43 PM

How to setup NLS

Mr jake on your 1g eclipse what kind of ecu are you runing and how did you set up the lunch control ?
Old Jul 16, 2010, 09:41 AM
Evolving Member

Would it be better to use the bottom switch since the clutch is still engaged when the top switch (cruise control) is already activating the NLTS. I would think you would have less time on the NLTS on the bottom switch? Good info Jake
Old Jul 16, 2010, 09:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evil_eagle
While this is true that ignition cut vs fuel cut will keep the boost higher between shifts, with E85 it doesn't like it at all with ignition cut on stock ignition. It will cause missfiring when you get back into gear since with E85 your dumping 35%-40% more volume of fuel over pump gas and it tends to flood it a bit. E85 get's picky with any type of ignition cut really. So that is the reason behind me only using fuel to cut for the NLTS.
Not to mention if your like me, I don't care to smack any type of rev limiter between shifts, I've been able to set it up well enough and shift it fast enough that it doesn't smack any type of rev limit making a smooth transition between shifts.

Either way 16lbs between shifts is still allot better then negative numbers when lift shifting My car at full boost will be at 28 spike and fall to 21lbs, between shifts it holds 18lbs on the NLTS.
Jake what kind of 2 step settings are you using on E 85?
Old Sep 24, 2010, 08:54 PM
Evolving Member

Has anyone gotten the NLTS working with the new Ver 2 box that doesn't have rally style anti lag?

Quick Reply: How to setup NLS