Notices
AEM EMS Get tuning help for your AEM EMS system.

Accel Fuel settings

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2010, 11:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Accel Fuel settings/Idle WAY to high issue

Alright i just got my AEM Series 2, and since i couldn't just copy my map over I had to almost start from scratch.

Copying things over manually one by one....such a daunting task.

Anyways, i'm having throttle tip-in issues.

Off idle, tap the gas and it hesitates then revs up. Floor it and it stumbles bad then revs through it.

Driving, go full throttle and it's like there is no load making the turbo spool like a 45r or something.

What are you guys doing for Throttle Accel tuning?

-Trevor

Last edited by Tbtalon94; May 11, 2010 at 10:43 AM.
Old May 9, 2010, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What TB on the AMS VSR?
Old May 9, 2010, 03:25 PM
Evolving Member

Stock TB

I seam to have fixed the throttle tip in....or the AEM decided to let my correct settings work!

I have the series 2, and it seams there is all kinds of bugs in this thing and it is extremely frustrating.

Right now my idle will work, or not work. Period. The settings are perfect and WHEN it does idle it's spot on and the best the car has ever idled. Other times I can adjust whatever I want and nothing changes.

I can start the car and it revs up to about 2,700-3,000. No matter what I do it won't fix it. Then i can power cycle the ecu (shut the car off and start it again)...and after a few tries, everything is fixed and the car runs normally. ZERO adjustments in AEM and the problem comes and goes. Sometimes it's consistant starts...sometimes it's whacky as hell.
Old May 10, 2010, 04:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^-- Not an Evo I have a Supra I recently started tuning doing that strange idle hang, power cycle and it goes away. It does it on Series 1 however. I should be getting it running on Series 2 here in the next month or so, so should be interesting.

Have you updated the Series 2 to the newest firmware?

I really want to get Series 2 on my Evo but I keep hearing about some pretty deal breaker quirks that makes me want to hold off longer. I'm going to stick with my Series 1 for the time being.
Old May 10, 2010, 06:47 AM
Evolving Member

I JUST got the series 2 so it has the latest firmware on it.

AEM forums are absolutly worthless. Buschur also won't tell anybody what the "bugs" are he has found and just insists that because you didn't buy it from him he doesn't care.
Old May 10, 2010, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been wondering what the bugs are he found as well. He's normally fair with information that would hurt the everyday enthusiast. Maybe they are not show stoppers that would blow a car up but maybe quirks that cause annoyances at worst.

He may also be in agreement with them as well to not let the information out. (Think computer security firms that give a company time to correct a security vulnerbility before its made completely public.)
Old May 10, 2010, 01:25 PM
Evolving Member

Yea but I don't see how it's fair to withhold that type if information when we payed for the ecu. If it's a bug in the software then say so and when you're going to fix it. If it's a bug in the box then say so and when you're going to fix it.

In this instance it's not right to without it because they made a mistake and don't want to tell anyone.
Old May 10, 2010, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm hoping to get my hands on one of these soon.

Trevor if you need any help just shoot me a pm and I'll lend any help I can.
Old May 11, 2010, 10:42 AM
Evolving Member

See if you guys can figure out the problem.

I start the car and it revs to 2,700-3,000. I can everything I can to get it down and nothing happens. I can make the idle target 0 and the idle%vstarget 0 and it won't idle below 1,200 rpms.

After a few power cycles it all of a sudden goes back to normal and will start consistantly. What is going on?

Here's a few logs in the idle parameters. Tell me what you guys think.
Old May 11, 2010, 11:21 AM
Evolving Member

Files attach now?
Attached Files
File Type: zip
Logs.zip (34.7 KB, 0 views)
Old May 12, 2010, 04:45 PM
Former Sponsor

Sounds like you need to add more fuel to the accel map in the cells around atmospheric pressure..At least thats one way of doing it, there are many ways to skin a cat lol
Originally Posted by Tbtalon94
Alright i just got my AEM Series 2, and since i couldn't just copy my map over I had to almost start from scratch.

Copying things over manually one by one....such a daunting task.

Anyways, i'm having throttle tip-in issues.

Off idle, tap the gas and it hesitates then revs up. Floor it and it stumbles bad then revs through it.

Driving, go full throttle and it's like there is no load making the turbo spool like a 45r or something.

What are you guys doing for Throttle Accel tuning?

-Trevor
Old May 12, 2010, 04:46 PM
Former Sponsor

See if you guys can figure out the problem.

I start the car and it revs to 2,700-3,000. I can everything I can to get it down and nothing happens. I can make the idle target 0 and the idle%vstarget 0 and it won't idle below 1,200 rpms.

After a few power cycles it all of a sudden goes back to normal and will start consistantly. What is going on?

Here's a few logs in the idle parameters. Tell me what you guys think.
Possibly your idle rpm vs coolant temp or one of the time delay after startup tables.
Old May 13, 2010, 05:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by PeteyTurbo@KHC
Possibly your idle rpm vs coolant temp or one of the time delay after startup tables.
Those are all set properly.

Well last night I messed with my ISC and BISS screw a bit, and also switched my walbro pump out for my stock pump. It SEAMS to have slightly fixed the issue. Maybe the pump was just going out causing irratic fuel pressure.

One thing I do know is that the ISC isn't parking itself correctly, or isn't opening enough on start-up. I know in Series 1 AEm there was an "idle RS on key" option and there is no such option in Series 2. I think that needs to be implemented.

My car started normally this morning, no 2,700rpms but as the idle settled the idle position got down to 0% and I wasn't at my target RPMS, close but not there. So the idle stays a bit high and causes the car not to decelerate properly. Like it feels your on the gas just a tiny bit when decelerating.
Old May 13, 2010, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
One thing I do know is that the ISC isn't parking itself correctly, or isn't opening enough on start-up. I know in Series 1 AEm there was an "idle RS on key" option and there is no such option in Series 2. I think that needs to be implemented.
that is exactly the problem. On my series1 ecu if i disconnect/reconnect the battery and try to start from the first power cycle the car idles as you describe. If i power cycle the ecu (key on until fuel pump primes and then off until the power relay turns off...6 sec or so after ignition off) and then try to start it fires and idles correctly the right off the bat. The trick is you have to wait for the relay to turn off after you turn off the ignition.
Old May 13, 2010, 12:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by griceiv
that is exactly the problem. On my series1 ecu if i disconnect/reconnect the battery and try to start from the first power cycle the car idles as you describe. If i power cycle the ecu (key on until fuel pump primes and then off until the power relay turns off...6 sec or so after ignition off) and then try to start it fires and idles correctly the right off the bat. The trick is you have to wait for the relay to turn off after you turn off the ignition.
Correct. The ISC has to correctly park itself before it can work properly. My problem was the ISC was parking properly and STILL causing the idle issue.

Now the start-up issue is gone, but the ISC still seams to not be working correctly. It will idle close to my target once warm (900rpms), but the idle position gets to 0%. Meaning it has no more correction to bring it down if need be. Also when I decelerate it's like i'm on the gas a tiny bit (idle position being at 0%, or not fully closed) and there is no setting to relieve that.

Quick Reply: Accel Fuel settings