Notices
AEM EMS Get tuning help for your AEM EMS system.

Exporting AEM Logs to Virtual Dyno Room

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2010, 08:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exporting AEM Logs to Virtual Dyno Room

Ok do I just convert the aem log files to .csv and voila?

Jack of trades help me out here.

PS: Guys if you have not tried the VDR dyno simulator, check it out. Its actuall pretty accurate
Old Jun 5, 2010, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When in AEMLog looking at the actual log file you want to use to graph, do "File" -> "Export as Text" to save it as a .txt file. I usual zoom into the actual area in AEMLog first just before full throttle and just after lifting to keep the data amount small. In the export options I choose "Current zoomed area" and you need to transfer over the Engine Speed parameters at minimum but I also do air temp, throttle (cause you only graph when at full throttle), and engine load. Once exported, drag and drop the .txt file into an empty excel spreadsheet. Finally, copy and past the log time and engine speed into the VDR and your good to go.
The following users liked this post:
cerevo (May 1, 2017)
Old Jun 6, 2010, 01:43 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the info.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

I still havent got it to work. My logs seem to be to big. WOT i have 10k+ lines of data in my log. I think the math in the vdr only does 2500 i think.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 02:42 PM
Evolving Member

Mellon uses DLL... maybe thats another option...

How much different is the AEM log sample speed than evoscan...

I havn't had time yet
Old Jun 6, 2010, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by B-Spec
Mellon uses DLL... maybe thats another option...

How much different is the AEM log sample speed than evoscan...

I havn't had time yet

Mellon also uses the stock ecu
I cant remember off the top of my head it is with evoscan. The way i have my pc set up aem logs every .001 sec. So obviously im going to have a huge amount of data for a wot pull. Others have got this to work with aem.

I personally have tried that hard to get it to work. I am spoiled. I have access to a dyno
Old Jun 6, 2010, 07:24 PM
Evolving Member

ya I hear that... I used to be spoiled. The closest AWD dyno is 50min away since our shop closed. There is 14 2wd dyno's in a 30 mile radius, so it pays to be able to tune all the hondas

I'm going to spend some time with it, and see what I can find out....
Old Jun 6, 2010, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kreionic
I still havent got it to work. My logs seem to be to big. WOT i have 10k+ lines of data in my log. I think the math in the vdr only does 2500 i think.
Not sure what you are doing wrong cause I've never had an issue graphing out AEM logs to VDR. I've graphed out several different cars including a 78mm turbo Supra I am tuning on Series 2. It's really accurate cause a small change and it shows it in the graphing.

Are you using internal logging for it or PC logging? Try PC logging its not as detailed but still provides the information needed to get a graph drawn. Also make sure you are ONLY graphing the 100% throttle parts for a 3rd gear pull. I've heard 4th gear pulls do not work, I cannot confirm nor deny as I have never tried one.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by itzwolf
When in AEMLog looking at the actual log file you want to use to graph, do "File" -> "Export as Text" to save it as a .txt file. I usual zoom into the actual area in AEMLog first just before full throttle and just after lifting to keep the data amount small. In the export options I choose "Current zoomed area" and you need to transfer over the Engine Speed parameters at minimum but I also do air temp, throttle (cause you only graph when at full throttle), and engine load. Once exported, drag and drop the .txt file into an empty excel spreadsheet. Finally, copy and past the log time and engine speed into the VDR and your good to go.
When you do it, are the graphs all over the place? What do you have the correction factor setup at? I have to have it at a 12 or sometimes 29 for it to looks like a real dyno graph.

Thanks.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Here is how I do it.

This assumes you are using an internal log file, if you are using the F6 version of the log file I think you can use a faster rate but try 10hz first.

1. Open AEM Log
2. Zoom up on your 3rd or 4th gear pull, go from the start of WOT and a little past REDLINE.
3. File -> Export as Text
3.1 Click Engine Speed, Engine Load, O2 #x, Throttle, click the > so that it shows up in Exported Channels
3.2 Export data range = Current zoom area
3.3 Export data as = Real
3.4 Restrict rate to 10hz/20hz both work
4. Click Export
5. Open VDR
6. Import Log
7. Enjoy

Attached Thumbnails Exporting AEM Logs to Virtual Dyno Room-aemlog_txt_export.jpg  

Last edited by TheBoz; Aug 11, 2013 at 07:54 PM.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

^ thanks for the info but What correction factor do you use on this? When I try anything less then 12, it looks crazy.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

I also run my smoothing at 12. I can get away with 10, but I use 12 just because it looks nicer.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 03:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by red03evo
When you do it, are the graphs all over the place? What do you have the correction factor setup at? I have to have it at a 12 or sometimes 29 for it to looks like a real dyno graph.

Thanks.
If the graph loooks funky you may need to adjust the rpm option to be right at or a touch below the actual last rpm recorded into the VDR. Play with that and the smoothing to get best results. I use 10-12 depending on how the graph looks.

Heres a graph of a Supra I am tuning compared to my car. Both of us are on pump gas As you can see it has a boost spike and breaks traction so it shows up on the graph.

Attached Thumbnails Exporting AEM Logs to Virtual Dyno Room-brandonvsmike.png  
Old Jun 8, 2010, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

i got it to work with the restricted rate. thanks boz

Last edited by kreionic; Jun 8, 2010 at 06:14 PM.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

Be sure that on the DataLogEntry, under LogEntryS RPM make sure that you do not have any entries that go beyond REDLINE and that you have dont have any entries that go beyond 100% TPS.

Also be sure to adjust the Max RPM Trim back a little bit, maybe 50-100rpm before redline.

Quick Reply: Exporting AEM Logs to Virtual Dyno Room