Notices
AEM EMS Get tuning help for your AEM EMS system.

AEM Series 1 or Series 2?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2010 | 04:35 PM

AEM Series 1 or Series 2?

Hi,

I am interested in going to an AEM SA setup and I am wondering (after all the bad things I have been hearing about the series 2 - like the guy who worked for AEM left the company and wasn't involved in the series 2 because of the cheap components they insisted on using). Is the series 1 the better and more reliable system? I am looking for a system that doesn't give me issues because of cheap failing components.
What do you guys suggest? Is the series 1 the way to go or has the series 2 improved? Also, is there any major benefit to the series 2?

Turbooutlaw
Old Sep 2, 2010 | 01:18 AM

I'm glad you bought this up. I plan on getting an AEM and need to know.
Old Sep 2, 2010 | 05:17 AM
Evolving Member

Just read through the series2 thread. Most if not all of the issues have been addressed and fixed.
Old Sep 2, 2010 | 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

Can't say I've ever heard of the rumor of cheap components. Where did you run into that one?

As far as how it works, I can confirm it works very well. After the issues many people had and even some of the specific things I dealt with I am now quite happy. My car has been running great and I've been able to slowly fine tune various things such as Accel fuel. I'm not far off from an absolutely perfect running car considering the level of build that it is. You'd have no idea there is a standalone in my car at this point which took me a while to get with Series 1.

Either way you go I am sure you'll be happy but I prefer the Series 2 personally for several reasons. The startups are nearly instant like factory, the internal logger is twice the size over Series 1, the tuning solution is very nice once you get used to it (I say that ONLY because of being an AEMPro user for so long it took a bit to adjust), USB connection makes everything faster when tapped in to tune, pull an internal log, etc.
Old Sep 17, 2010 | 11:30 AM

i currently have both a series1 and a series 2 in two different cars and prefer the series 2 for speed of transfer (connection) and the datalogging as well as the software is better looking. Both are great units and think you cant go wrong either way.
Old Sep 29, 2010 | 06:28 PM

Buschur says the AEM's have "unexcuseable issues"

Though Dave Buschur didn't elaborate further in the thread I read on HBF, here is a superstar/expert that states that the AEM's have "inexcusable issues."

Originally Posted by suprastar
i currently have both a series1 and a series 2 in two different cars and prefer the series 2 for speed of transfer (connection) and the datalogging as well as the software is better looking. Both are great units and think you cant go wrong either way.
Old Sep 30, 2010 | 05:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by turbooutlaw1976
Though Dave Buschur didn't elaborate further in the thread I read on HBF, here is a superstar/expert that states that the AEM's have "inexcusable issues."
and what are you trying to say with this? .. nothing is perfect ever in one way shape or form
Old Sep 30, 2010 | 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evoboi005
and what are you trying to say with this? .. nothing is perfect ever in one way shape or form
What he is trying to say is, one of the most respected, experienced, and established AEM tuner in the EVO market says that the box has UN-EXCUSABLE ISSUES.

That doesn't mean it's not perfect, or that it has some little issues that need addressing, it means that it has serious problems that need to be resolved.

Scorke
Old Oct 21, 2010 | 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

got a question i dident think was worth starting a thread over but still wanted to no who sets the pricing for the boxes ive seen series 2 boxes new for hondas at $1100 but for the evo its been $1500-$1700 every place ive checked why is that ? i mean as far as i no there is nothing diffrent between the honda boxes and the evos is the honda boxes lower in price because they sell more of them.
Old Oct 21, 2010 | 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mrboost05
got a question i dident think was worth starting a thread over but still wanted to no who sets the pricing for the boxes ive seen series 2 boxes new for hondas at $1100 but for the evo its been $1500-$1700 every place ive checked why is that ? i mean as far as i no there is nothing diffrent between the honda boxes and the evos is the honda boxes lower in price because they sell more of them.
evo's have 4 peak and hold injector drivers built in, the honda's don't.
Old Oct 21, 2010 | 09:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by griceiv
evo's have 4 peak and hold injector drivers built in, the honda's don't.
anything else i missed ? i cant see that bringing up cost that much.
Old Oct 21, 2010 | 09:34 PM
Former Sponsor

I actually use the series 2 box in shawna's car. It makes good power and runs well. I still have some issues with it but am slowly figuring them out. I am working on the accel tables now as well but not having a ton of luck. I bet if the car was stock it would be much better. I guess I am just really picky.

-Em
Old Oct 21, 2010 | 09:53 PM
Evolving Member

series 2 FTW
Old Oct 22, 2010 | 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EmeryatSTM
I actually use the series 2 box in shawna's car. It makes good power and runs well. I still have some issues with it but am slowly figuring them out. I am working on the accel tables now as well but not having a ton of luck. I bet if the car was stock it would be much better. I guess I am just really picky.

-Em

as of right now do you perfer the series 1 or series 2 and just work thru the little problems ?
Old Nov 19, 2010 | 09:23 PM
Evolving Member

im in the process of buying an aem ems series one, i do believe the guy told be the box itself is black due to the fact that it is a revised version of series 1, im not calling the guy a liar but when i spend this kind of money i surely do my homework and make sure all that was said to me are facts and not made up **** so, basically i would like to know what the difference is between the aem ems box thats gray and the one thats black, more aless was there a 1st version series 1 aem ems then did there come along a improved version2 of the series 1, for evo 9's of course, thanks

Quick Reply: AEM Series 1 or Series 2?