Notices
AEM EMS Get tuning help for your AEM EMS system.

Ignition issues

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2003, 07:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
George,
Good to hear you are getting the turbo to spool, etc. I can't wait to see what that beast will do at 30 psi. After you build the motor, of course. Otherwise it would be a very expensive way to very quickly disassemble parts of your motor.

Mark
www.Quantum-Racing.com
Old Dec 17, 2003, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by QuantumEVO
George,
Good to hear you are getting the turbo to spool, etc. I can't wait to see what that beast will do at 30 psi. After you build the motor, of course. Otherwise it would be a very expensive way to very quickly disassemble parts of your motor.
eek:-)
Mark
www.Quantum-Racing.com
Yeah, the car is getting nicer and nicer. I will be doing the doluck lip, canards, and tein flexes/edfc next week
Old Dec 17, 2003, 07:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by gt40
originally posted by dynoflash

Al,

Hey, since you are aem bound, knock yourself out. Lets make this thread extra productive and "just the facts".

I will be adding the aem cdi tomorrow and will post...

BTW, I am noticing a big improvement at .23 gap with new stock plugs- able to run 1.6 boost with roll on 1st gear 4 wheel burnouts when the boost hits... No dyno available this week but it pulls really strong.

On another note, Mark at quantum brought up sharing maps on this as a way to speed up the dialing process for everyone... I am open to it if others are...

I am not a vendor here but the aem is not a flash... It will always require tuning and is a major upgrade that will need the efforts of a shop for most people and sharing the knowledge is not going to kill any business. It may sell a few more aems actually if we collectively dial it in and make it more accessible.

Anyone have any other ignition thoughts for the evo on a cost effective basis?
AEM has been a first choice but not our last.
It is a great system and will exploit this first. I think that sharing some information on the unit and sensor configurations is great. If someone would be so kind as to "map" out or outline how we would start then im all for it. There are many different setups running out there and would be great if we all showed what we have come up with. God knows that AEM can use all the help they can get to maybe straighten out any further issues with the software.
We are only road tuning now so i will post some results when we are done by early next week.
Dyno results will follow after the new year.
Old Dec 17, 2003, 02:16 PM
Evolving Member

If everyone wants to send me their maps and a list of mods/boost/octane, ambient conditions etc. I will post it all up on my website in a separate section so everyone has a database to access for AEM maps.

Mark
www.Quantum-Racing.com
Old Dec 17, 2003, 03:13 PM
Evolving Member

On another interesting note to those who have the AEM and not vendors. The prelimanary versions of the plug and play for the EVO8 did have some ignition issues like stated earlier.
NOTE: For those who are still experiencing problems please contact your vendor. AEM has already started taking care of this problem with different hardware and drivers for the units out this month. If anyone is still having problems then im sure your vendor will be more than happy to take it back and send it in for the free upgrade. Just some food for thought. If anyone needs any help with sending it back you are more than welcome to PM me and i'll see if i can help.
As far as sending the maps to Quantum, if that is the consensus then im in. If not i would like to see if we can arrange something here on this forum.
Old Dec 17, 2003, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by perfworks
On another interesting note to those who have the AEM and not vendors. The prelimanary versions of the plug and play for the EVO8 did have some ignition issues like stated earlier.
NOTE: For those who are still experiencing problems please contact your vendor. AEM has already started taking care of this problem with different hardware and drivers for the units out this month. If anyone is still having problems then im sure your vendor will be more than happy to take it back and send it in for the free upgrade. Just some food for thought. If anyone needs any help with sending it back you are more than welcome to PM me and i'll see if i can help.
As far as sending the maps to Quantum, if that is the consensus then im in. If not i would like to see if we can arrange something here on this forum.

Is this on the AEM forum, cuz I have not seen it?
Old Dec 17, 2003, 04:03 PM
Evolving Member

It is really some off the record info i was given by an individual at AEM.
I figured i would just try to help those who were having some issues.
If your vendor calls AEM and speaks with the right person im sure they will clarify and back up the claim.
There were some driver issues that needed to be addressed. They did the right thing and re did some internal wiring and new driver install.From what i understand all the units now work absolutely perfectly on the EVO8.
It really is IMHO the best unit on the market for this vehicle at that specific price range.
They have been doing there best to be a little more user friendly than before.
We have the unit and are very happy. We needed to confirm the operation and will be odering more shorlty.
My 2 cents.
Old Dec 17, 2003, 06:37 PM
Evolving Member

originally posted by perfworks
I second "MAPS TO MARK AT QUANTUM" . I already sent mine in btw...

On a separate note to Mark, thanks for taking care of replacing the uego- got it. Bigger thanks for your suggestions on the map... figure it made an extra 25 hp or so with the injector timing tweaks... I will post dyno of both maps next week...

Last edited by gt40; Dec 17, 2003 at 06:43 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2003, 07:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by gt40
originally posted by perfworks

I second "MAPS TO MARK AT QUANTUM" . I already sent mine in btw...

On a separate note to Mark, thanks for taking care of replacing the uego- got it. Bigger thanks for your suggestions on the map... figure it made an extra 25 hp or so with the injector timing tweaks... I will post dyno of both maps next week...
Cool. I'd really like to see those. I think if we can have a whole packet of info for each submitted map that would be awesome.
List to include (if possible):
Map
Logs of dyno run
image of datalog
list of parts
operating conditions (boost run, fuel type, ambient conditions, etc.)

The better picture we all have, the better everyone's setup will be for it.

Mark
www.Quantum-Racing.com
Old Dec 18, 2003, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

I just checked with my tuner and there is a recall on about the first 20 or so EMS units for a hardware and driver error. Mine probably has to go back cuz the SN is 30-1313-0005. I still plan on buying the AEM C2DI soon and use it with the stock coils, so I don't get any breakup and so I can run a bigger gap on the plug.

Is anybody using the AEM C2DI with the stock coils and the EMS unit yet? If so is it having a problem with the Mitsu ignitor?

I have a call into AEM to check on my box to see if it has to go back for a fix. I haven't heard back from them yet, but when I talk to them I will ask if they have tried the C2DI with the stock Mitsu ignitor and had any issues. Would like to buy the box without having to go to a coil on plug setup yet.

Last edited by kcevo; Dec 18, 2003 at 08:57 AM.
Old Dec 18, 2003, 09:09 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by kcevo
I just checked with my tuner and there is a recall on about the first 20 or so EMS units for a hardware and driver error. Mine probably has to go back cuz the SN is 30-1313-0005. I still plan on buying the AEM C2DI soon and use it with the stock coils, so I don't get any breakup and so I can run a bigger gap on the plug.

Is anybody using the AEM C2DI with the stock coils and the EMS unit yet? If so is it having a problem with the Mitsu ignitor?

I have a call into AEM to check on my box to see if it has to go back for a fix. I haven't heard back from them yet, but when I talk to them I will ask if they have tried the C2DI with the stock Mitsu ignitor and had any issues. Would like to buy the box without having to go to a coil on plug setup yet.
I'm glad everything will be straightened out for you
Old Dec 18, 2003, 07:24 PM
Account Disabled

I'll be sending my ecu in also - seems they will be testing the fix tomorrow. I have serial number 003!!!!!

A great unit - world class customer support and one minor problem which will be resolved shortly !
Old Dec 19, 2003, 07:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by DynoFlash
I'll be sending my ecu in also - seems they will be testing the fix tomorrow. I have serial number 003!!!!!

A great unit - world class customer support and one minor problem which will be resolved shortly !
I have a C2DI to set up as well, although I am going to run it with four MSD Blaster SS coils and 8.5mm MSD wire. If it worked for the AEM NSX-powered drag car, it aught to work for me.

Let us know how the repair goes.

Mark
www.Quantum-Racing.com
Old Dec 19, 2003, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

Just got off of the phone with an AEM tech, and Al is right they are testing EVO 8 EMS box today to see if there is a hardware and driver issue. He informed me he would give me a call back today to tell me what they found and if any boxes need to be shipped back. As soon as I hear anything I will let you all know.
Old Dec 19, 2003, 08:02 PM
Account Disabled

Just got off of the phone with an AEM tech, and Al is right they are testing EVO 8 EMS box today to see if there is a hardware and driver issue. He informed me he would give me a call back today to tell me what they found and if any boxes need to be shipped back. As soon as I hear anything I will let you all know.
I did not hear anythng yet - guess t wll be Monday - can not wait to get the upgrade in there and try ths out under high boost !

Quick Reply: Ignition issues