Notices
AEM EMS Get tuning help for your AEM EMS system.

Ignition issues

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2003, 12:15 AM
AMS
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just installed the EMS in our EVO VIII tonight. Started up like a champ and I played with the fuel map a bit on load-track (dynojet) and tweeked the ignition map. Very first pull I had the A/F' in the 11's and put down 438whp at 19psi :-) I'll finish it up tomorrow and hopefully get some very good results. My serial # is in the 30's so I hope I dodged the ignition but since my article for Modified Mag is due early next week! I've been using V.94 for a long time but this was my first time using 1.03, much much better! Only problem I found tonight is that it kept pissing the IC sprayer all the time. I didn't have time to look up the control for that so I'll check it all out tomorrow, anyone else have this happen? If the EVO coils are anything like the DSM then we shouldn't have to worry too much about the ignition, I've done a few cars in the high 500's and one over 600whp with the stock igntion. And just for curiosity, we ran a different car (stock ecu) that made about 400whp with a stock ignition and an MSD CDI, the MSD setup consistantly lost a few horsepower compared to the stock ignition.

Martin
Old Dec 20, 2003, 09:28 PM
AMS
Former Sponsor

Pulled 551whp and 455ft-lbs of torque on the evo today at 27psi with the EMS. Ignition is still stock BTW. Tuning is really easy and quick with the v1.03, love it!
Martin
Old Dec 23, 2003, 05:33 PM

Martin is that with the stock motor. Do you think you would be able to make similar power with a s-afc? Are you using 272's?
Old Jan 2, 2004, 06:25 PM
Evolving Member

Unless you are running race gas 116 you wont come close to that power level at the wheels with just an AFC.

On another note we have our "fixed" box from AEM. Thumbs up. Many drive cycles in the upward area of 22-30 psi. No ignition issues at all. ( stock ignition by the way with stock plugs and gap.)Very stable unit. It is absolutely fantastic. Cant wait to finish tuning this week and dyno. Really guys anyone who choses a standalone for the EVO this is the one that cant be beat. Unbelievable software and unlimited tuning adjustments for EVERYTHING under the sun made so damn easy.
Old Jan 6, 2004, 11:17 AM
Former Sponsor

Just to keep you guys in the loop, this was posted on the AEM EMS forum thie morning regarding the ignition issues on the EVO box.

http://forum.aempower.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=6339

The 30-1313 EVO-8 ECU has been on hold since before Christmas. We had to research and verify a couple of customer problems with the ignition at high boost (+20psi) levels. We have completed the investigation and identified a potential problem with the ignition driver on the early shipments of the EVO-8 ECU's. This problem has only been identified cars running higher than normal boost (+20psi or more) while retaining the factory ignition coils. This problem does not affect those with aftermarket CDI's and coils nor those that intend to run stock levels of boost.

This problem only applies to the 30-1313 EVO-8 EMS Serial Numbers 001 through 015.

30-1313 ECU's with serial number 16 and higher are not effected by this issue nor are any of the 30-1313U ECU's (EVO-8 with internal UEGO).

If you have a 30-1313 ECU S/N 001 through 015 and are experiencing an ignition problem at high boost or forsee high boost in the future, then you should contact the AEM EMS tech line at (800) 423-0046 to get an RMA number so you can send your unit back for the update. We will modify and return all ECU's on the same day that they are recieved.

As of now, all 1313 and 1313U ECU's at AEM have been modified and the shipping hold has been removed. There has been much testing in the last 2 weeks and we have many 500+ hp pulls on the fix and life seems to be good again....

Thanks for sticking with us and giving us a chance to take care of it.

John
Old Jan 10, 2004, 01:13 AM
Evolving Member

aem serial # 14 + cracked exhaust manifold

We have completed the investigation and identified a potential problem with the ignition driver on the early shipments of the EVO-8 ECU's. This problem has only been identified cars running higher than normal boost (+20psi or more) while retaining the factory ignition coils. This problem does not affect those with aftermarket CDI's and coils nor those that intend to run stock levels of boost.

This problem only applies to the 30-1313 EVO-8 EMS Serial Numbers 001 through 015 .
I have serial number 14 .

Bad News and Good News:

While putting on the new upgraded head and getting the aem ems fixed for the factory defect at Brainstorm, we got some pretty bad news- the exhaust manifold has a serious 2" long hairline crack through it.

We are not sure, but maybe the spark scatter caused the egt to shoot way way up.

In any case, I cracked a really nice avo cast manifold. Can't say if this is what caused it or just aggressive tuning... it could have been just random and part of the game.

I welded it as a temp fix and then before I could ask, I got some good news: Roshon said they would get a new one for me at no charge and they would take care of it.

I think it is worth noting the following:

1. They caught the crack and the shop did the right thing and brought it to my attention instead of saying nothing. I would have never known and who knows how long it might have lasted before it completely cracked and trashed my turbo.

2. They didn't even give me a chance to ask if they were going to get it replaced under warranty even though it has been used for 5 months including hard track days. The owner, Roshon, just apologized for the inconvenience of it taking a week to get the part in and said they would take care of it.

3. They got my aem ems fixed pronto- having aem come out to their shop that day to take care of it so I won't have this issue hopefully anymore.

4. Kudos to AEM for stepping up here. They actually drove someone out to the shop and picked up the unit and got it back the next day!

This is why you go to a shop that takes care of business and deal with companies like AEM.

Brainstorm is a standup operation and it is really refreshing to work with a shop that does more than pay lip service to service and just takes care of things instead of offering excuses. They even did all of this work in the middle of setting up the new shop!

On a side note, thanks also goes out to Rob for scoring me a head gasket on short notice and driving it up to culver city from costa mesa.
Old Jan 10, 2004, 04:51 AM
Evolved Member

Re: aem serial # 14 + cracked exhaust manifold

Glad you got everything straight
On a side note, your turbo cannot "crack"

Originally posted by gt40

I have serial number 14 .

Bad News and Good News:

While putting on the new upgraded head and getting the aem ems fixed for the factory defect at Brainstorm, we got some pretty bad news- the exhaust manifold has a serious 2" long hairline crack through it.

We are not sure, but maybe the spark scatter caused the egt to shoot way way up.

In any case, I cracked a really nice avo cast manifold. Can't say if this is what caused it or just aggressive tuning... it could have been just random and part of the game.

I welded it as a temp fix and then before I could ask, I got some good news: Roshon said they would get a new one for me at no charge and they would take care of it.

I think it is worth noting the following:

1. They caught the crack and the shop did the right thing and brought it to my attention instead of saying nothing. I would have never known and who knows how long it might have lasted before it completely cracked and trashed my turbo.

2. They didn't even give me a chance to ask if they were going to get it replaced under warranty even though it has been used for 5 months including hard track days. The owner, Roshon, just apologized for the inconvenience of it taking a week to get the part in and said they would take care of it.

3. They got my aem ems fixed pronto- having aem come out to their shop that day to take care of it so I won't have this issue hopefully anymore.

4. Kudos to AEM for stepping up here. They actually drove someone out to the shop and picked up the unit and got it back the next day!

This is why you go to a shop that takes care of business and deal with companies like AEM.

Brainstorm is a standup operation and it is really refreshing to work with a shop that does more than pay lip service to service and just takes care of things instead of offering excuses. They even did all of this work in the middle of setting up the new shop!

On a side note, thanks also goes out to Rob for scoring me a head gasket on short notice and driving it up to culver city from costa mesa.
Old Jan 10, 2004, 10:10 AM
Evolving Member

originally posted by Boost Solutions:
On a side note, your turbo cannot "crack"

No, actually it can if it falls completely off the car. On the track I have seen this occur. Then the housing does "crack"

Would you prefer: damage, break, suck something up, destroy the wheel... etc.

This crack went halfway around the manifold and the turbo could be "damaged". That was the point.

Last edited by gt40; Jan 10, 2004 at 12:01 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2004, 06:51 PM
Former Sponsor

hey guys ..

we had serial number 001 and never had ignition issues.. never the less, we sent the unit back to aem to get updated. We will be running an aem dyno day, with Evo M, AEM, and us. Stay tuned for more info. Anyone wanting / thinking about the aem box for the evo. Hold off for the dyno day. We will be offering the box's at discounted rates for Evo M members. Mark from Evo M will be putting a post up shortly about the event. Glad to hear aem has worked out the bugs ...

Mark
Turbotrix Racing
Old Jan 10, 2004, 11:52 PM
Evolving Member

mine is running real smooth up top since I got it fixed. 1.8 bar at 7800 rpm is pulling nice... no more spark scatter!
Old Jan 20, 2004, 09:23 AM
Evolving Member

we just got one of our customers car up and running with the ems. the car runs great. cranks, idles and drives as if it had the stock ecu in it. we converted to map, installed the 3.5 bar sensor, egt sensor, iat and the wideband. the only issue we have is the boost control. we cant seem to raise the boost at all, the boost currently responds exactly as if it had the stock ecu in it.. peaking about 20psi and falling to 17ish. anyone have any ideas, we are thinking that we will have to install larger vacuum lines and T's.... dunno though

we will have a kit for a coil on plug setup for the evo soon. it will include a aem cdi, 4 coils a custom harness, etc, etc. we have had great results with 2g dsm's and hondas with this kit.
Old Jan 20, 2004, 12:01 PM
Evolving Member

Bigger turbo for starters if you want to run higher boost...
Old Jan 20, 2004, 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Wadzii
we just got one of our customers car up and running with the ems. the car runs great. cranks, idles and drives as if it had the stock ecu in it. we converted to map, installed the 3.5 bar sensor, egt sensor, iat and the wideband. the only issue we have is the boost control. we cant seem to raise the boost at all, the boost currently responds exactly as if it had the stock ecu in it.. peaking about 20psi and falling to 17ish. anyone have any ideas, we are thinking that we will have to install larger vacuum lines and T's.... dunno though

we will have a kit for a coil on plug setup for the evo soon. it will include a aem cdi, 4 coils a custom harness, etc, etc. we have had great results with 2g dsm's and hondas with this kit.
Did you pull the boost jet/welding tip from the vacuum line at the stock solenoid?

George
Old Jan 20, 2004, 10:14 PM
Evolving Member

no, not yet. we didnt have time to mess with it monday, im going to finish it up tomm.

is that all i need to do, take that jet out?
Old Jan 20, 2004, 10:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Wadzii
no, not yet. we didnt have time to mess with it monday, im going to finish it up tomm.

is that all i need to do, take that jet out?
I am sure that is the problem

George

Quick Reply: Ignition issues