Notices
AEM EMS Get tuning help for your AEM EMS system.

just installed aem and the car wont start

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2011, 07:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Aem map sensor to oem evo

PIN# OEM COLOR WIRE AEM COLOR WIRE DESC
91 black black ground
81 grey red 5v
73 yellow green signal

the wiring is correct as i have just got done doing it on another evo last week.

MAP sensor:

-- red from AEM sensor goes to grey from MDP sensor on top of manifold = 12v power
-- black from AEM sensor goes to black from MDP sensor = ground
-- white or green from AEM sensor (they now have a white wire but the instructions mention green) goes to yellow from the MDP sensor = signal

AIT sensor:

-- black wire from the maf plug and the red/blue wire from the maf plug are for the ait sensor. polarity does not matter, but if you have a white wire for the pigtail that is power and black is ground. You would hook black from the pigtail to the black wire from the maf sensor and the white wire from the pigtail will go to the red/blue wire from the maf sensor

Boost solenoid:

-- red/yellow wire is the 12v switched ignition power and the light green wire is the switched ground wire. Wire the positive side of the solenoid to the red/yellow wire and the ground side to the light green wire.

there is also a fuel gauge wire that i need to locate. if you dont disconnect 1, i forget which, your fuel gauge will read empty with ~2 gallons in the car.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Aby@MIL.SPEC
Aem map sensor to oem evo

PIN# OEM COLOR WIRE AEM COLOR WIRE DESC
91 black black ground
81 grey red 5v
73 yellow green signal

the wiring is correct as i have just got done doing it on another evo last week.

MAP sensor:

-- red from AEM sensor goes to grey from MDP sensor on top of manifold = 12v power
-- black from AEM sensor goes to black from MDP sensor = ground
-- white or green from AEM sensor (they now have a white wire but the instructions mention green) goes to yellow from the MDP sensor = signal

AIT sensor:

-- black wire from the maf plug and the red/blue wire from the maf plug are for the ait sensor. polarity does not matter, but if you have a white wire for the pigtail that is power and black is ground. You would hook black from the pigtail to the black wire from the maf sensor and the white wire from the pigtail will go to the red/blue wire from the maf sensor

Boost solenoid:

-- red/yellow wire is the 12v switched ignition power and the light green wire is the switched ground wire. Wire the positive side of the solenoid to the red/yellow wire and the ground side to the light green wire.

there is also a fuel gauge wire that i need to locate. if you dont disconnect 1, i forget which, your fuel gauge will read empty with ~2 gallons in the car.
i got the 5 bar and ait setup and the car is already running 10x better except for a hunting idle after 30 seconds or so when i think the o2 feedback kicks in. i cut the wideband controller wires to snake them thru the stock o2 sensor grommet but lost the sensor end some how so im running without an o2 sensor so im sure thats the problem. i have the connector end coming from aem 3 day so i get it for this weekend. i also scrapped the stock bcs and put a hallman in, i dont care for ecu controlled boost.

thanks for the help!
Old Jul 5, 2011, 11:38 PM
Former Sponsor

^ the oem bcs is ok, as long as you have a jet in-line.... i actually went from oem bcs to hallman, back to the bcs.

honestly, any mbc is set-n-go, so it is easier....but if you want more, you can get it with the oem bcs.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

^ the oem bcs is ok, as long as you have a jet in-line.... i actually went from oem bcs to hallman, back to the bcs.

honestly, any mbc is set-n-go, so it is easier....but if you want more, you can get it with the oem bcs.
on my last car i got tired of fighting to get fast spool without spiking while not overboosting to heck on cold mornings. i would have it dialed in perfect during the day and in the morning the temp would drop 35* and i would be 4lbs over. with the hallman i just give it 1/2 turn and im good. its just less hassle for me. plus with an ewg it doesnt sound like a machine gun.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 08:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not to hijack but could i get a comparison stock map cal file maybe from someone, I started out with my aem and trying when I have time to mess with it, Finally have idle and low load running but not full boost , Been reading alot and set alot of things with very useful tech on here thanks
Old Jul 6, 2011, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by toyota4me2
Not to hijack but could i get a comparison stock map cal file maybe from someone, I started out with my aem and trying when I have time to mess with it, Finally have idle and low load running but not full boost , Been reading alot and set alot of things with very useful tech on here thanks
what we really need is a aem faq thread pinned to the top with base maps and how to's. im trying to setup a boost cut and cant find it in the menu's!
Old Jul 6, 2011, 11:10 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by n2oiroc
im trying to setup a boost cut and cant find it in the menu's!
its in several locations:

1. boost control "T"
2. set-up / rev limiters "T"
Old Jul 6, 2011, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

its in several locations:

1. boost control "T"
2. set-up / rev limiters "T"
this it? holy hell is that set high!

"fuel cut load" [514.98 kpa]
Old Jul 6, 2011, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^ Yes thats it. When you use the map sensor wizard to set up your 5 bar the boost cut defaults to sensors max pressure. Its up to you to set it where it needs to be. If you want to read it in psi go to configure/units. scroll to " load units" and select "psig". Click apply and ok.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by browningderek
^^ Yes thats it. When you use the map sensor wizard to set up your 5 bar the boost cut defaults to sensors max pressure. Its up to you to set it where it needs to be. If you want to read it in psi go to configure/units. scroll to " load units" and select "psig". Click apply and ok.
great, thanks! i just need more time to get familiar with it. i had a hydra ems on my sti and that was no problem after i got familiar with it and aem is supposed to be a lot more user friendly.

Last edited by n2oiroc; Jul 14, 2011 at 10:38 AM.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

installed the uego, but its reading super rich. for some reason the #1 o2 cal table on the base map maxes out at about 8 afr and 4.99 volts. switching sensor type doesnt change it. i cant change it to get it up to 18 afr. ideas?

edit: nevermind, afr units werent set to gasoline! im thinking my serial to usb adapter isnt working right, i keep losing connection and its corrupting files.

Last edited by n2oiroc; Jul 8, 2011 at 03:51 PM.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

switched to the io gear usb to serial adapter that everyone says works, but im still having problems. the wideband readings are all over the place. any ideas? here is a vid. notice the comm errors.

edit: i watched the voltage going into the ecu from the wideband controller and its goofy there, reading 3 volts with the engine off. so im thinking something is funky with the sensor. i checked all the wiring and its solid. the uegu controller isnt showing any faults.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FAt_tCIWSc

Last edited by n2oiroc; Jul 14, 2011 at 01:54 PM.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
What pin did you hook up your wide band to. It looks like something is wrong, or a bad ground somehwere.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TheBoz
What pin did you hook up your wide band to. It looks like something is wrong, or a bad ground somehwere.
white wire to pin 76 and brown to 92 as shown here and they are soldered in. http://www.aemelectronics.com/Images...%2030-2310.pdf

ground is to the steering column support and has good continuity to the chassis, power is a fuse tap to an open fuse under the dash. with the car running its at .5 volts until i tap the gas then it drops signal. with the uego out of the exhaust and the engine off its reading 4.8V.

the controller is all green and shows no faults. i guess ill get a long test lead and ground it directly to the battery and move the power supply. im out of ideas after that.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
When you log your AFR's whare are you seeing.

ALso make sure to sync you WB.

http://www.youtube.com/user/AEMEMSTe.../0/RSLA97NkuCU

if when you tap your gas the WB pegs out to full lean that is a tip in issue.

Quick Reply: just installed aem and the car wont start