Notices
AEM EMS Get tuning help for your AEM EMS system.

EMS good enough for 100% daily driver? Has anyone tuned with an iPad?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2012, 08:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its a 12 tooth crank trigger wheel. Its has more resolution than the 2 tooth stocker. Its fixes the extended crank with the series 1's. I have one, it works awesome!

google it......
Old Jan 9, 2012, 11:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I read that it wont work on the stock ecu. I need to be able to go back for inspections once a year :/
Old Jan 11, 2012, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

NO workie with stock ECU.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 08:26 AM
Evolving Member

Ya, not recommended if u are going back and forth.

Modification to cam triggers make a permanent switch as well. Stock ecu will freak
Old Feb 3, 2012, 12:53 AM

Glad I read this post....
Old Mar 17, 2012, 09:09 AM
Evolving Member

I tuned my series 2 in a weekend, but I still optimize things here and there. It runs perfect and never stalls. The only thing I regret about getting series 2 is that I didn't do it sooner.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 10:32 AM
Evolving Member

What is the fascination with upgrading to a different EMS when our stock ECU's are capable of making really good power?

If you have the right tuner they should be able to make your stock ecu go a long way for you instead of forking out that chunk of cash for am AEM.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 11:40 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by PrimerSdime
I tuned my series 2 in a weekend, but I still optimize things here and there. It runs perfect and never stalls. The only thing I regret about getting series 2 is that I didn't do it sooner.
I run version 1 and my car runs perfect. Makes 782 whp and drives nice. 99% of how the car runs is not in which box one uses. It mainly in the tune and what you do with the tune.

To get my car running so well took many versions of tuning and a lot of trial and error. In the end its all worth it. The biggest advantage for me with the EMS is being able to extract all the power potential out of this little motor .
Old Mar 18, 2012, 03:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 73DatsunZ
What is the fascination with upgrading to a different EMS when our stock ECU's are capable of making really good power?

If you have the right tuner they should be able to make your stock ecu go a long way for you instead of forking out that chunk of cash for am AEM.
Some people made the switch before SD was finished for the stock ECU.

Others like to tinker on their own and the AEM EMS allows them to do that with an interface that they know. (Windows, Mac, Linux, etc argument here).

Logging can also be done on the EMS itself as well as adding additional sensors.

I know these may all seem like minor things, but for some people they can add up to a better user/driving experience. It is a personal preference really.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The stock ecu is great for what it is but even some Tuners just prefer a aftermarket ecu the set it and forget it approch is nice there is no xml files to edit or move as said above it really comes down to personal use the logging is way better with aem there are more input/output's anti lag ect the stock ecu is trying to keep up with the aftermarket not the other way around .
Old Mar 19, 2012, 06:08 AM
Evolving Member

I had no fascination in upgrading to AEM. I just grew tired of how you have to flash the ecu with ecuflash, constantly shutting the car off to upload changes, having to datalog with a separate program, patching files, etc... For me, AEM is so much more user friendly. I can make changes while im driving, and I can watch the screen while im tuning to make changes. It makes the tuning so much easier, it's actually fun to me again. Not to mention that the car runs so much better on speed density.

There is no argument that the stock ecu is capable of doing what AEM does, and people have made that clear going 8's on the stock ecu. AEM just does it better and makes it far easier. There is also the help pane to help educate people on what they are doing while trying to learn about tuning.

Last edited by PrimerSdime; Mar 19, 2012 at 06:15 AM.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 10:18 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mrboost05
The stock ecu is great for what it is but even some Tuners just prefer a aftermarket ecu the set it and forget it approch is nice there is no xml files to edit or move as said above it really comes down to personal use the logging is way better with aem there are more input/output's anti lag ect the stock ecu is trying to keep up with the aftermarket not the other way around .
Originally Posted by PrimerSdime
I had no fascination in upgrading to AEM. I just grew tired of how you have to flash the ecu with ecuflash, constantly shutting the car off to upload changes, having to datalog with a separate program, patching files, etc... For me, AEM is so much more user friendly. I can make changes while im driving, and I can watch the screen while im tuning to make changes. It makes the tuning so much easier, it's actually fun to me again. Not to mention that the car runs so much better on speed density.

There is no argument that the stock ecu is capable of doing what AEM does, and people have made that clear going 8's on the stock ecu. AEM just does it better and makes it far easier. There is also the help pane to help educate people on what they are doing while trying to learn about tuning.

Ah ok, I understand where you guys are coming from now.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:35 AM

More info on the crank triggers please... "google it", was not really helpful at all.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Is an EMS really that much better for self tuners?

I was not really having any issue with ECUFlash and Evoscan..... capability wise does the EMS offer anything extra besides crap I don't need like anti-lag?

So for someone who runs the stock ECU with no need for SD or anti-lag and has no problems using the various programs to tune, is it beneficial to upgrade to an EMS?

Just better tables for tuning? Faster ECU response? What's the catch besides ease of use since I never had any problems there?
Old Apr 11, 2012, 11:21 AM
Evolving Member

Your factory trigger disk has 2 teeth one for #1 cyl and the other for #4 i believe so it know what stroke is on the compression side or suck side. The new trigger disk has 12 teeth to know exactly where every piston is regardless of position. Also starting is back to being good as stock if not better. I just bought and installed mine relatively easy.

Heres the link...http://www.triggerdisc.com/

^^^^
If n ot planning to make decent power or goto speed density its really not worth it in my opnion. I believe its alot easier to use theres alot of info online to how to use it properly and no need to stop the car upload new rom/changes all you have to do is change it with the car running and it will adjust on the fly. Also there is a boost comp table so if done properly you gan go from 10psi to 40psi with no fuel changes! For me it makes tuning way faster.

Last edited by prockish_03evo; Apr 11, 2012 at 11:26 AM.

Quick Reply: EMS good enough for 100% daily driver? Has anyone tuned with an iPad?