Notices
AEM EMS Get tuning help for your AEM EMS system.
View Poll Results: Can the AEM be tuned for correct A/Fs?
No it can\'t my car runs pig rich all the time
4.35%
Yes it can and (fill in the blank) tuned it
65.22%
I hope it can be, I\'m still trying to do it
13.04%
what the hell is an AEM ems
17.39%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Does anybody get this??

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2004, 11:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HKS injectors ARE Denso... Same with Blitz, Greddy, most Japanese brands use Denso injectors. My guess is that Shawn sent the injectors to RC for cleaning and/or to increase their flow rating, but they are not RC brand injectors.

The UEGO display is accurate, the EMS is only as accurate as you make it by setting the AFR voltage lookup table. If the EMS is reading differently from the wideband's display, you need to adjust the O2 sensor voltage table so the EMS matches. For now just go by what the wideband display says since you don't have the EMS set up properly with the wideband input.
Old May 3, 2004, 07:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Blak94GSX
HKS injectors ARE Denso... Same with Blitz, Greddy, most Japanese brands use Denso injectors. My guess is that Shawn sent the injectors to RC for cleaning and/or to increase their flow rating, but they are not RC brand injectors..
Thanks for the info. I wondered if that was not the case..... I guess Denso make injectors for a number of brands. To set the record straight, Shawn sold me those injectors as "new" RC 660 injectors. They came sealed in their plastic wraps in their boxes with Greddy part numbers . When I called RC Engineering, the fellow I talked with told that they made the injectors for Greddy......

The UEGO display is accurate, the EMS is only as accurate as you make it by setting the AFR voltage lookup table. If the EMS is reading differently from the wideband's display, you need to adjust the O2 sensor voltage table so the EMS matches. For now just go by what the wideband display says since you don't have the EMS set up properly with the wideband input.

Hmmmm... If the EMS is not accurately reading the voltage from the O2 sensor, will the EMS control the fuel delivery effectively? Perhaps since the EMS is set to deliver fuel with a "boost dependat" table and is not using the UEGO to "autotune" it probably makes no difference whatsoever.
Still, it seems "wrong" somehow that the EMS would not be calibrated properly when I get my car back from the tuner.
Old May 3, 2004, 02:37 PM
Evolving Member

silverevo8..... if you set it up properly it will be right.

enter the calibration into the o2#1 cal table, then unplug the sensor from teh guage and adjust the o2 gain till the ems and the guage match.
Old May 3, 2004, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Wadzii
silverevo8..... if you set it up properly it will be right.

enter the calibration into the o2#1 cal table, then unplug the sensor from teh guage and adjust the o2 gain till the ems and the guage match.
Just out of curiosity, where is the O2#1 calibration table? And then, what is the proper calibration number (I presume its a number) to input in that field?

I've got here the AEM software open with my particular map. It's not connected to the car, maybe that's the reason why, but I cannot find the O2#1 calibration table.....

BTW, even after changing injectors (an expensive proposition) and more "tuning" at Boost Solutions, my car still belches clouds of black smoke upon acceleration, does not idle very well, stalls frequently and gets very sh!tty gas mileage.. OH, I know that more power means more fuel, but hell even if I drive like a total economy freak I still barely manage 17 mpg commuting and 20 mpg highway cruising. I'm begining to think that this AEM is un-tuneable

(oh yeah, I know for sure it's not tuneable by me, but then, I don't claim to be a tuner)

Last edited by silverEVO8; May 3, 2004 at 06:23 PM.
Old May 3, 2004, 07:05 PM
Evolving Member

goto setup_sensors_oxygen sensor_oxygen sensor #1_o2 sensor #1 cal table_table

find the instructions for the guage and the calibration table is in there... enter the first and last numbers in the table then highlight the whole table, hit M on the keyboard, then hit L. this will calculate the rest of the numbers. the output is linear so that works.

then goto setup_sensors_oxygen sensor_oxygen sensor #1_options, and also open the window setup_sensors_oxygen sensor_oxygen sensor #1_parameters

unplug the o2 sensor from the guage, the guage should default to 14.7. adjust the o2 gain till the ems reads the same 14.7 afr. once you do all that they will read the same.
Old May 4, 2004, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

goto setup_sensors_oxygen sensor_oxygen sensor #1_o2 sensor #1 cal table_table

find the instructions for the guage and the calibration table is in there... enter the first and last numbers in the table then highlight the whole table, hit M on the keyboard, then hit L. this will calculate the rest of the numbers. the output is linear so that works.

then goto setup_sensors_oxygen sensor_oxygen sensor #1_options, and also open the window setup_sensors_oxygen sensor_oxygen sensor #1_parameters

unplug the o2 sensor from the guage, the guage should default to 14.7. adjust the o2 gain till the ems reads the same 14.7 afr. once you do all that they will read the same.
Do you do these calibrations with the engine running? Or should the laptop just be hooked up with the ignition switch in the "on" position? Also, for adjusting the gain I guess I would need to input different numbers than the number displayed, where should I start?

Thanks
Old May 4, 2004, 08:52 AM
Evolving Member

it dosnt matter if the engine is running or not....

the default gain is 1.00, just adjust it till it matches, its not hard.
Old May 4, 2004, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

it dosnt matter if the engine is running or not....

the default gain is 1.00, just adjust it till it matches, its not hard.
Silverevo8,

also, make sure to deactivate the O2 feedback if you chose AEM Wideband in o2 feedback wizard. If you choos eteh AEM sensor, it will kick in teh O2 feedback, and the tune will be off. No need for O2 feedback with the boost comp method.

George
Old Jul 2, 2004, 05:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Blak94GSX

OK, I'm back and I'll be talking with you about this and other things as well.....