Notices
AEM EMS Get tuning help for your AEM EMS system.

EMS and stock boost solenoid

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2004, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question EMS and stock boost solenoid

I know most Evo with EMS installed either use EBC or MBC to control boost. EMS also have an option to use a (GM) solenoid to control boost. What about using the stock boost solenoid?

Can EMS use the stock solenoid to control boost or Do anyone use the stock boost solenoid with EMS?

I'm starting to run my car at the track. The club I joined classified Evo to a higher class if Boost solenoid is tampered. I don't wish to bump up to the class if possible.

I'm looking possibility to run the stock boost solenoid to control boost. Currently, I'm using HKS EVC 5 at this moment.
Old Jun 2, 2004, 09:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the stock soleniod will work

to make it work a little better you need to do a couple of modifications to the vacuum lines. in the line from the turbo to the T get the smallest line you can use and still fit the restrictor in there, from the w/g to the T and from the T to the soleniod use the fattest line you can and still have it fit snug. this will allow finer control over the boost than if you leave it in the stock configuration.
Old Jun 3, 2004, 06:19 PM
Evolving Member

I used the stock selonoid for the past three months, but recently I replaced it with a GM and I can control my boost 10 times better. You'll be good until you want more than 20lbs. 20 or more and it spikes from time to time. The GM is solid no matter what boost you are running and very consistant. The GM is cheap as hell too and worth it.
Old Jun 5, 2004, 12:54 AM
Evolving Member

if you do the vac line mods i listed then you can control about 22-24 psi of boost....... the gm soleniod is better, but the stock one will work
Old Jun 5, 2004, 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for everyone help.

I guess with my goal will be hard to archive. I just found out that if my car has engine management, my car will be listed in a class where I need roll bar install. I'm just trying to avoid installation of roll bar and still able to compete in the club. Bummer.