Notices
AEM EMS Get tuning help for your AEM EMS system.

Aem Knocking

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2004, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aem Knocking

Do the AEM ems comes with Knock control/ sensor? How good are they compare to the stock knock control? How many peoples here are running the knock control on and who leave it off? I'm seriously thinking about getting the aem but still want some kind of protection againt knock and detonation. Any info will help. Thanks!
Old Jul 27, 2004, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

Mine is set up so that if it reads more than 1.6v of knock it adds 5%fuel and pulls 2% timing for any given rpm. It is completely adjustable so I would say it is better than the stock knock control. Also I ordered a Gauge-Tech (which hasn't come in yet ), but that will allow me to monitor knock at all times! It's a really cool little gadget www.gauge-tech.com.

Hope that helps
Old Jul 27, 2004, 08:23 PM

Your So Freakin Pimp Chad....its Unbelievable Hahahaa.
Old Jul 27, 2004, 10:36 PM
Evolved Member

You know it dawg!!!!
Old Jul 28, 2004, 01:25 AM
AMS
Former Sponsor

The AEM knock control works very well when properly setup. You can call me at my shop and I can tell you extensively how the AEM EMS works.

-Martin
Old Jul 28, 2004, 04:48 AM
Evolving Member

The knock control is great on the EMS, but any real tuner will tell you that youshouldn't ever need it due to the fact that the tuner's skills are up to par. If you roadrace then maybe just to be sure, but you can richen it up a tad specifically for road racing. That is what is so beautiful about the EMS. You can program a map for different styles of driving and with the click of a mouse you can switch maps out. If you are that lazy you can hook up a switch. I have a drag map, daily map, and road race map. All have adjusted timing, A/F, etc. The EMS is a great system, but only if tuned properly. Boost Solutions does my tuning and my car runs like a dream and a monster when I need it to. Good luck and get the EMS.

Matt
Old Jul 28, 2004, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks guys for the replies. Good to know that the AEM come with the knock control, I will look into it more. I do mostly autox and track days with my car so this is a big concern for me since 25mins of consistant beating on the car put a lot of stress in the motor. It's wise to have some kind of protection againt detonation.
Old Jul 28, 2004, 10:29 AM
AMS
Former Sponsor

Not sure what you're saying here but knock control is always a good idea unless you're absolutely sure you are running in conditions that are safe. On our shop car where I'm running C16, I check the plugs and monitor the engine closely I do not run knock control. For a street car where quality of gas can vary and other factors come into play it's a good idea to have knock control activated, especially if you are pushing the engine on pump gas. Knock control can take some time to setup correctly because you have to get some base knock noise levels and determine was is background noise and what is real detonation. This is time consuming and requires some skill and tools to read plugs. If knock control is too sensitive and active it will be pulling timing and adding fuel all the time and you'll be running some crazy high EGT's and can really heat stress the exhaust valves, turbo, actually induce more detonation, especially in a road race situation. I'm trying to say that for knock control to work well it has to be tuned correctly by someone experienced enough to detect the onset of detonation (not just full blown knock with audible pinging and nice metal coated plugs)

-Martin

Originally Posted by mdzuricky77
The knock control is great on the EMS, but any real tuner will tell you that youshouldn't ever need it due to the fact that the tuner's skills are up to par. If you roadrace then maybe just to be sure, but you can richen it up a tad specifically for road racing. That is what is so beautiful about the EMS. You can program a map for different styles of driving and with the click of a mouse you can switch maps out. If you are that lazy you can hook up a switch. I have a drag map, daily map, and road race map. All have adjusted timing, A/F, etc. The EMS is a great system, but only if tuned properly. Boost Solutions does my tuning and my car runs like a dream and a monster when I need it to. Good luck and get the EMS.

Matt
Old Jul 28, 2004, 10:35 AM
KK
EvoM Administrator

Martin,

Have you guys seen large variations from Evo to Evo when setting up knock thresholds on the EMS?

Mark
Old Jul 28, 2004, 11:13 AM
AMS
Former Sponsor

I've seen some, especially depending on the power level. A stock turbo car is actually pretty sensitive to detonation and you have to watch the knock noise level closely. put a big turbo on it and you can get away with more noise. Basically more HP = more background noise, and you have to distinguise engine noise from detonation. That's why I stress reading the plugs, it's something you can't overlook when tuning near the threshold of detonation. Also small things like plugs, underdrive pulleys, and other things make a difference. Personally I'd suggest not running an undampened crank pulley on cars making big horsepower.
Old Jul 28, 2004, 12:54 PM
Evolving Member

I agree with what you say(AMS). That is why I have an experienced tuner check my car out on a weekly basis. We have tuned for specific fuel and still remained conservative especially on my daily driven map. I stated that knock control was an excellent tool for road racing and an excellent tool in general. I hope you are not doubting my tuner as I am not doubting you. It's impossible to judge tone by just reading a post on the internet. What I am saying in short is that knock control can be annoying and with a great tuner you should rarely have to use it. A bogging ride sucks. Peace.

Matt

Last edited by mdzuricky77; Jul 28, 2004 at 12:57 PM.
Old Jul 28, 2004, 01:08 PM
AMS
Former Sponsor

I'm not doubting your tuner at all and my post was not intended to questions anyones skills, just to clarify the need and use of knock control on the AEM. Knock control can be annoying when not setup properly, but it can also save your motor if something goes wrong (boost controler takes a ****, bad gas, fuel pump poops the bed, ect.). I'm glad you have a good support from your tuner.

-Martin
Old Jul 29, 2004, 07:18 AM
Evolving Member

Those are good points too and that is why I log constantly and simply listen for detonation. Thanks for the input.