Notices
AEM EMS Get tuning help for your AEM EMS system.

Burp in 3rd half throttle

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2004, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Burp in 3rd half throttle

Today I felt a burp when excelerating on a lane change (AC was On) never felt it before since the aem was installed. Any ideas on what could be the problem. It almost felt like a miss or something. I need to get it back to TT on the dyno again, I also am getting really bad gas mileage 93 octane same gas station all the time. I get roughly 200-220 per tank.Seems really low to me.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Mike
Old Sep 9, 2004, 05:02 PM
Evolving Member

Same

Same problem here
Old Sep 9, 2004, 06:21 PM
Account Disabled

its all in the tuning. For the poor fuel mileage, you would need to do a datalog to see where your fuel trims are. Might also want to make the sure the air inlet temp sensor is installed and activated as well.

As for the burp, its common on standalones but pretty easy to rectify, just takes time. more than likely, its in the accel enrichment..sounds like its not getting quite as much fuel as it needs at that load point and rpm.

adam
Old Sep 9, 2004, 06:56 PM
Evolving Member

It may very well be your spark plugs blowing out. Don't use the stock Iridium plugs, use something colder. I suggest using NGK BPR7ES. The only cost a dollar and some change, but you have to change the out every few thousand miles or so.

Matt
Old Sep 9, 2004, 06:59 PM
Evolved Member

I will get some new ones tomorrow, I have 21,000 on my car now roughly 6k with the ems.

Thanks, if it doesn't work I will call Mark and schedule a trip to TT.

Mike
Old Sep 10, 2004, 03:10 PM
Evolving Member

I am only getting 180 to a tank, with 330whp. I fighured it was the price you paid for more ponies, maybe I should see about tuning the gas mileage. Excel, I saw you are pushing 333 whp with cams, is that correct? I am getting about the same, less torque though, without the cams. How has the driveability been for you w/the AEM?

-j
Old Sep 10, 2004, 03:49 PM
Evolving Member

I noticed my car doing the same thing after I had the AEM installed. I went back to TT and Mark Messed around with it a bit. Jeff was saying the best thing to do is have a UEGO installed so you can go out and street tune it as far as half throttle cruising is concerned. I spoke to Adam at Z-1 about the same thing and he strongly recommends street tuning.

Shane
Old Sep 10, 2004, 05:15 PM
Evolving Member

Usually a hickup is from having too much fuel at that spot and the over-rich condition blowing the spark out, causing a misfire. Also, as was mentioned, if it happens right after you make a large change in throttle position, the Accel Fueling is the issue.

You should also get better gas mileage than stock with the EMS, but it is all in the tuning. You definitely need a wideband O2 sensor on the car to be able to tune it right.
Old Sep 12, 2004, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

Techause- the ems has been great, idles like stock. I have had it for a few months and have put on 6k mikes since install of everything. Yes I have 272 cams all work was done by TT and they did a great job. I have a high flow cat on otherwise my hp would be higher. I will be getting uego soon. I just bought a laptop to hook up to the ems. Can anyone tell me how this is done with no software to load on my laptop? I am going to get a police computer mount soon also, just looking where I can get one. Thanks for all your input.

I need to call mark tomorrow and make an appointment for a retune.

Thanks, Mike
Old Sep 17, 2004, 12:32 PM

Disc

I had the same problem. The AEM comes with a disc. You have to ask for it from whoever you bought it from. All the directions are on the disc.
Old Sep 17, 2004, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by techause
I am only getting 180 to a tank, with 330whp. I fighured it was the price you paid for more ponies, maybe I should see about tuning the gas mileage. Excel, I saw you are pushing 333 whp with cams, is that correct? I am getting about the same, less torque though, without the cams. How has the driveability been for you w/the AEM?

-j
There is no reason you can not have your cake and eat it too. I am runing 1000cc injectors and over 500whp now and get 28mpg on a tank of gas or about 320miles to a tank. I would suggest taking it back to the tuner and having them look at what your car is doing during the part throttle cruise and tune the base fuel map for it.
Old Sep 19, 2004, 12:20 AM
Evolved Member

i m getting 190-210 per tank before the light came on. will have to call up TT for a retune for part throttle and at same time get myself a UEGO install too.